Females and Skirt Wear

Started by Майор Хаткевич, March 20, 2010, 11:52:59 PM

Майор Хаткевич

So here I am, watching JAG with my fiancee (yes, I finally got her hooked on it!), and she has a question about the wear of skirts and shaving legs.

Having never worn a skirt myself, or have any female cadet ask me this, I didn't know what the answer for CAP is, let alone the navy.

So the question: Do women need to shave legs when wearing dress uniform skirts? Is it considered part of professional appearance/hygiene?

What about CAP?

Personally I think it shouldn't matter, but I can see the professional appearance angle.

jimmydeanno

Without being able to provide a definite answer, it would probably fall under "presenting a conservative feminine appearance."  Additionally, the wear of hose when wearing a skirt is mandated (at least in the Air Force).  Although, I can imagine that wearing hose without shaving would be rather uncomfortable...

Of course, I don't have any real experience in this area, so perhaps a female could chime in...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CAPC/officer125

Hose is required. However, imho, you don't really need to shave your legs unless you feel it is required. Nobody should be looking that close to see if you have unshaven legs under the required hose. I, personally, don't shave my legs and I prefer to wear my skirt. Then again, I have really light leg hair and it doesn't usually show when I am wearing shorts (if I forget to shave).
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

SarDragon

Guy response here.

As noted, hose are required. I don't recall ever seeing anything in the regs about shaving, but dark hair is certainly visible through lighter stocking shades. IMHO, it's a bit gross, but isn't anything I would mention to the person.

Comfort-wise, your legs get really warm. It was an olde marching band trick to wear panty hose instead of thermal underwear to keep warm. Much more comfortable.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

So, the consensus is skirt, no shave required, but may be nice.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret