Started by Major Carrales, November 01, 2006, 01:18:20 AM

Major Carrales

We gather, We the Portaleers,
Taken from our place,
With no Celebration, no Cheers.

But, from our posts we will not balk,
For we liveth again,
Here at CAP TALK

Many Portal regulars will no-doubt take refuge here.  I had some good relationship going over there across the nation.  Let us all meet here and insure our links are not severed.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BillB

Refugees??? or illegal aliens?  Right off hand it looks like many of the Portal members have already come over to CAP Talk. But can CAP Talk replace the Portal? I don't think so.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

CadetProgramGuy

I, the undersigned, a refugee of Civil Air Portal have crossed many a border with the notion that I would be given refugee status here in the CAP Talk forum....

Major Carrales

Quote from: BillB on November 01, 2006, 01:58:53 AM
Refugees??? or illegal aliens?  Right off hand it looks like many of the Portal members have already come over to CAP Talk. But can CAP Talk replace the Portal? I don't think so.

Back during Katrina local people in my area started calling the influx of people to our area "Revacuees."  I tried to enter into the American Lexicon, but it stayed pretty local.

As for replacing the "Portal?"  I don't think replacing is the word...rather the Portaleer presence will be assimulated into CAPTALK.

Resistance is futile???

Well, looks like this will be my home for a while.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on November 01, 2006, 02:27:29 AM
I, the undersigned, a refugee of Civil Air Portal have crossed many a border with the notion that I would be given refugee status here in the CAP Talk forum....

As the unoffical Minister Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the former Republic of the Portal, your status is confirmed.  That is until the moderator sees my usurpations. :D

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JC004

:(  Refugee James checking in.   I want my portal back!  ::cries::  I guess I can adjust...at least I have my portalman. 

Cobra_Bubbles

All of my best to Tedda and a well deserved "Thank you for all that you have provided for us" at that, I to find that the only folks that seem to be posting to this and similar threads on CAP Talk today seem to be former portal people. I was just a fly on the wall in the Portal, listening and learning but never posting .

To those natives of CAP Talk, I thank you for giving us this peace and sanctuary. I can think of some other boards wherein the "residents" would have snappy quips and comments for those of us that are actually grieving. This speaks to me of the character of this board and its members. You know what they say about first impressions. Thanks for the new space and I firmly believe that if moderated well, both the native CAP Talkers and Portaleers (?) (not like Langoleers) may benefit from the discussions that will take place here.

Tedda, If you ever make it to Lexington, KY., message me first because I would like to shake the hand of the man that formed the Portal!

Jim Baker
Capt., CAP
Deputy Commander, GLR-KY-058
Great leaders are the first to give the credit for successful results to the team.
These same great leaders are the first to accept the blame personally when the
team fails to perform.

alexalvarez

Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

Pylon

While I was a frequent lurker of the Portal, I don't think I was ever officially a Portalperson.  I didn't have my own custom Portalperson icon, nor did I post on the forums... I just read a lot.  I, too, miss CivilAirPortal and feel that there is a gap in the online CAP community.

In any case, know that all of you Portal revacuees (I do like that term!) are welcome here at CAPTalk.  Discuss everything, discuss often, and post with professionalism.  Welcome aboard!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Becks

And they continue to trickle in....
Welcome refugees, grab a cup of cocoa and a MRE and take a load off.   ;D

BBATW

Major Carrales

Quote from: JC004 on November 01, 2006, 03:12:59 AM
:(  Refugee James checking in.   I want my portal back!  ::cries::  I guess I can adjust...at least I have my portalman. 

Good to see you here...I give it a few days before the Ole Portal People start feeling comfortable.

I never got a portal person  :(, out of jest I had suggested Service Cap with cloud-n-darts and short sleeve shirt.

Ho-hum (oh no!!!  I said Ho-Hum, only Grandpa says that!!!   :'(  I want my portal back!)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: alexalvarez on November 01, 2006, 03:51:06 AM
I'm here.

Hey Padre...I'm glad you could make it.  What is cool about this thread is that I, and others, will be able to look it up as a quick reference for missed PMs.  I'm needing to PM Al Sayre and Grant Henninger as a matter of fact.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pylon on November 01, 2006, 04:18:21 AM
While I was a frequent lurker of the Portal, I don't think I was ever officially a Portalperson.  I didn't have my own custom Portalperson icon, nor did I post on the forums... I just read a lot.  I, too, miss CivilAirPortal and feel that there is a gap in the online CAP community.

In any case, know that all of you Portal revacuees (I do like that term!) are welcome here at CAPTalk.  Discuss everything, discuss often, and post with professionalism.  Welcome aboard!  :)

Lurkers are welcome here too.  There were many lurkers...some days, then the Portal was hitting some 30 on line at once, a good 12 or so would be lurkers.

Revacuees ;)  This term was originally a slip of the mouth by a reporter for a local radio station, then it took on additional meaning when Rita came through and the evacuated of New Orleans that were in Houston et al were on the move once more.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ZigZag911

I've been following Civil Air Portal for months....even tried to register during the summer, but ran into a technical snag.....sorry to see it gone, and welcome to all of you "moving" over here.

RiverAux

Man, after putting in a month and earning a bunch of stripes I've been kicked back down to recruit level.  I'm actually an eyewitness (so to speak) of the destruction of the portal as I was reading a thread when it happened.  All of a sudden it started asking for an administrators password and after about a half hour started looking much like it does now. 

I enjoyed the portal quite a bit as it was a very active site.  No offense to some other sites but the blog-based sites aren't terribly easy to comment in and read compared to the portal.  This site isn't bad but didn't seem to have a lot of use or about as much as the CAP board on military.com which has never been terribly well utilized. 

So, I'll give this one a try.

BillB

Dang,  by force of habit after turning on my 'puter, I went to Portal. Habits are hard to break.
River, I know what you mean about your stripes, I was half way to getting my 3rd stripe which I would have gotten in December, December of 2008 that is.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Al Sayre

I guess I was one of the lucky ones to have "Dual Citizenship", but I already miss the Portal.  Welcome to all.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

AlphaSigOU

Ditto here... Farewell CAPortal, we will miss ye.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BillB

Is the xx@cap.usafaux.us going to disappear also? it worked half of the time (but not when mail was sent from AOL)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

MAJOR DISASTER

Just one more refugee from the Portal signing in. Glad to see y'all. Received a great education concerning CAP from the Portal. I'm hoping to continue to get great insight into CAP at CAPTalk.

Charlie
Maj. Charles W. Miller
Commander
Condor Composite Squadron
NER-NY-354