Something I found out about SOS just now.

Started by Tim Medeiros, February 22, 2013, 02:52:12 AM

Pylon

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 25, 2013, 05:00:34 PM
For those who fall into this very narrow minority. Take the appropriate NCO course by correspondence.

The problem is I haven't been able to find an "equivalency chart" -- the Marines don't have one "NCO Academy" and one "Staff NCO Academy" -- there's a school for nearly each rank.  There's Corporal's Course, there's Sergeant's Course (both of those are NCO ranks... so which counts as NCO school credit?  Both?  Neither?), there's Career Course for SSgt's, Advanced Course for GySgts, etc.

But yes, it would have been awesome to have Joint PME credit for Staff & Command College as an enlisted dude when most of my Captains and Majors don't have it.  Darn.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

Contact Jennifer Carroll at NHQ. She is the one, I guess, that makes those decisions...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

coudano

For a while at least, if a CAP member completed SOS, the USAF simply wouldn't append the credit to their military record until they were at least eligible by military rank to be enrolled.  So a CAP Major could take SOS (for level 4), even though he was only a 2d Lt in the USAF...  His USAF rip wouldn't show it.  Until he became at least a Captain in the USAF, then he could send his certificate down and have it added to his record.

To me, that is a perfectly reasonable solution to the "problem" here.
Although I don't really think it's a problem at all.

I don't think it has much to do with jealosy, or 'unfair advantage' that doesn't really exist...
It is more likely related to money.  Blackboard costs money per seat per course.  Bottom line.
Someone has to foot that bill.  The end.

There *could* be something to people completing the correspondance before or in lieu of they are eligible to attend in residence.

I find the requirement to demonstrate college graduation a little silly, particularly for the correspondance version which, as far as I know, doesn't even require any writing.  But naturally any military officer already meets that wicket...  But a lot of CAP people, even if they are Captains, won't.

Quite frankly, SOS is chalk full of stuff that junior officers serving particularly in support units NEED to have as junior officers; well before mid-level Captains.  Rated officers might not be in "supervisory" leadership roles until that point, but a Security Forces bubba or a Comm or Logistics officer are very likely to be in charge of dozens of troops almost from their very first day on the job out of tech school.  Of course that is all USAF drama, and has basically nothing to do with CAP, so I digress.

SARDOC

Quote from: coudano on February 25, 2013, 09:46:17 PM
I find the requirement to demonstrate college graduation a little silly, particularly for the correspondance version which, as far as I know, doesn't even require any writing.  But naturally any military officer already meets that wicket...  But a lot of CAP people, even if they are Captains, won't.

SOS/ACSC/AWC are all hosted by Air University and they technically fall under the category of Master's Level Credit.  Air University being Regionally Accredited have the degree requirement in place to placate their accrediting agency so they can maintain their accreditation.

Ground_pounder82

First...I have to admit that SOS is a box checker for AF guys and gals. If you have to go to that course to learn how to lead, then the CITGO down the street, they have an opening for you.  Second, if you are a CAP member and want to do the Course 20, go for it.  There is no wait list, the only logistical issue is you have to call an ed center to schedule your test.  I completed Course 20 three years ago as a new Capt on one of my middle eastern vacations.  Took a month to get done, but then again all I did is fly, eat, work-out, sleep and work on SOS.   The reason PME credit is awarded based on AF grade criteria is to prevent AF members joining CAP just to get advanced PME completed before their peers.  But the credit will definately help CAP promotion.  And yes, credit earned at ASBC (No Longer Around) SOS, ACSC and AWC are masters level credit as determined but the regional accreditor.   And the new ACSC is 100% online, no more books in the mail or ed center tests.  I am looking forward to that, meet my first O-4 board next summer and would like to get started on that ASAP!

Cherrs,
-Brewster

PHall

For a while at least, if a CAP member completed SOS, the USAF simply wouldn't append the credit to their military record until they were at least eligible by military rank to be enrolled.  So a CAP Major could take SOS (for level 4), even though he was only a 2d Lt in the USAF...  His USAF rip wouldn't show it.  Until he became at least a Captain in the USAF, then he could send his certificate down and have it added to his record.

I don't think it has much to do with jealosy, or 'unfair advantage' that doesn't really exist...
It is more likely related to money.  Blackboard costs money per seat per course.  Bottom line.

There *could* be something to people completing the correspondance before or in lieu of they are eligible to attend in residence.

Quite frankly, SOS is chalk full of stuff that junior officers serving particularly in support units NEED to have as junior officers; well before mid-level Captains.  Rated officers might not be in "supervisory" leadership roles until that point, but a Security Forces bubba or a Comm or Logistics officer are very likely to be in charge of dozens of troops almost from their very first day on the job out of tech school.  Of course that is all USAF drama, and has basically nothing to do with CAP, so I digress.

I got the Air Force to give me credit for SOS that I took via CAP.

Took about six months of back and forth between me and the Base Education office.

I think they finally gave in just to get me out of their hair!

GroundHawg

Quote from: PHall on March 04, 2013, 05:15:35 AM

I got the Air Force to give me credit for SOS that I took via CAP.

Took about six months of back and forth between me and the Base Education office.

I think they finally gave in just to get me out of their hair!

Im glad that works, I will be applying in September.