Main Menu

ex-cadet

Started by tleeny, July 10, 2011, 11:29:50 PM

tleeny

I have a Sr Member who was an ex-cadet Lt Col back in the early 90s -

Because of that, he is eligible for automatic promotion to 1st Lt. - (which I have already taken care of)

My PDO question to you is..... He also wants an automatic rating given to him in Cadet Programs -  specifically, Senior

I know that Spatzz cadets get an automatic Masters rating in Cadet Programs -

But I don't know of any other "automatic" ratings in Cadet Programs -

NCRblues

Quote from: tleeny on July 10, 2011, 11:29:50 PM
I have a Sr Member who was an ex-cadet Lt Col back in the early 90s -

Because of that, he is eligible for automatic promotion to 1st Lt. - (which I have already taken care of)

My PDO question to you is..... He also wants an automatic rating given to him in Cadet Programs -  specifically, Senior

I know that Spatzz cadets get an automatic Masters rating in Cadet Programs -

But I don't know of any other "automatic" ratings in Cadet Programs -

Spaatz cadets get a senior rating, cadets with earhart get tech....that's it
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

jimmydeanno

While I think former cadets have a lot to offer the program, I have a problem with giving advanced specialty ratings because of it.  Being a cadet and being a Cadet Programs Officer are entirely different things. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

tleeny

he hasn't been in CAP since 96ish) but his son is now 12 - so both signed up recently

tleeny

OK thanks for the info.

Eclipse

The key word is eligible.

Considering he has been out 15 years, his program knowledge will be stale at best.  You might check on that before
Giving him anything.

At the least I would suggest getting him in the system, level 1, cppt and all the rest of the online stuff done and then
see how his involvement is.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Yah, a lot has changed since he was last in,
i'd run over the 52-16 particularly the changes, point him to the new resources, and get him to a TLC asap

tleeny

I believe CAPR 50-17 Chapter 9-1a helped also. Thank you.

GroundHawg

I was in the same boat. I decided to just start over completely as my knowledge was dated. I wouldnt mind being a 1LT working on Capt as opposed to a 2LT working on 1LT but seriously, its not that huge of a deal. It will be hard for him to change from "how we did it back in the day" to how things might have to run now. I still struggle with that and I have been back over a year now. The organization has changed quite a bit since 96.  ;)

FW

I was also in a similar situation.  It was a 10 year separation between leaving as a cadet and starting over as a Senior member.  I was able to get credit for level one and received a tech rating in CP after 6 months of review.  However, my promotion to Capt (I was still on active duty back then) didn't come through for another year.  It seems my group commander thought I would leave after my promotion....

Boy, was he ever wrong! ;D

BillB

Yeah Fred, you stayed and made Colonel. So when are you getting another promotion?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

cap235629

Quote from: BillB on July 11, 2011, 02:36:55 AM
Yeah Fred, you stayed and made Colonel. So when are you getting another promotion?

If all goes well, August
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JC004

Quote from: BillB on July 11, 2011, 02:36:55 AM

It would seem that the promotion plan is August 2011, then August 2012.

bosshawk

Let's hope that that is the case.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

JC004

Quote from: bosshawk on July 11, 2011, 04:59:02 AM

He's working very hard for it to be the case.  He has a phenomenal set of Questions and Answers coming out tomorrow.  I collected a number of them myself from a broad selection of members so he'd have his work cut out of him and we'd get an idea of his plans from all the different viewpoints - each mission and mission support.  I contacted a number of people for their ideas and he has spent a good bit of time on them.

EMT-83

Like Eclipse said, he may be eligible for advancement based on previous experience. There is nothing "automatic" so you both need to get that word out of your heads.

JC004

Quote from: JC004 on July 11, 2011, 05:21:52 AM
Quote from: bosshawk on July 11, 2011, 04:59:02 AM

He's working very hard for it to be the case.  He has a phenomenal set of Questions and Answers coming out tomorrow.  I collected a number of them myself from a broad selection of members so he'd have his work cut out of him and we'd get an idea of his plans from all the different viewpoints - each mission and mission support.  I contacted a number of people for their ideas and he has spent a good bit of time on them.

...and the follow-up.  Questions and Answers here: http://www.ourcap.org/questions-answers

I made sure to collect more questions and all than he originally had so he'd have to work extra-hard but he survived!   >:D

Ozzy

Quote from: GroundHawg on July 11, 2011, 12:32:06 AM
I was in the same boat. I decided to just start over completely as my knowledge was dated. I wouldnt mind being a 1LT working on Capt as opposed to a 2LT working on 1LT but seriously, its not that huge of a deal. It will be hard for him to change from "how we did it back in the day" to how things might have to run now. I still struggle with that and I have been back over a year now. The organization has changed quite a bit since 96.  ;)

Well there isn't much to work on for a former cadet Lt. Colonel for Captain... only have to wait 18 months for TIG
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: FW on July 11, 2011, 02:08:08 AM
I was also in a similar situation.  It was a 10 year separation between leaving as a cadet and starting over as a Senior member.  I was able to get credit for level one and received a tech rating in CP after 6 months of review.  However, my promotion to Capt (I was still on active duty back then) didn't come through for another year.  It seems my group commander thought I would leave after my promotion....

Boy, was he ever wrong! ;D

It was an 18 year break for me. I got my 1st Lt (for being former Earhart cadet) 6 months after joining. Hopefully I'll be promoted to Ltc in December to match my former cadet grade.

AlphaSigOU

17 years for me. Had my grade reinstated after about four months (I was a 1st Lt from 1986-1988). Earned my CP ratings the old fashioned way.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

futura

33 year break for me. Been back in for 7 and it's been very rewarding seeing the cadets advance.