Main Menu

HSO Resources

Started by tmurphy, November 12, 2010, 04:06:00 AM

tmurphy

I'm new here, and apologize if I step on toes.

I recently joined CAP in October, did my Level 1, and was given the Health Services Officer position because I'm an EMT. That being said I was promoted to 2LT last week.

My question is if any of you have any good PowerPoint presentations, or any other sort of resources I can share with my squadron?

I have done some searching around the forum and have seen a few health care professionals posting, so I wonder if any of you might have anything to share. If you don't feel the need to post the information here, feel free to chat with me through PM or e-mail.

TIFFANY J. MURPHY, 2d Lt, CAP
Health Services Officer
Livonia Thunderbolt Composite Squadron
GLR-MI-183

nesagsar

I'm not sure if they are archived online but NESA has some good powerpoints.

tmurphy

Just gave NESA a look, can't say I found much of what I need there. I  was hoping more along the lines of basic first aid, hand washing, etc. Searching online, all I could really find were either super detailed ones used to teach medical personnel, or super basic ones for kindergarten. I am also hesitant to use a non-CAP PowerPoint.

I did have an idea to transcribe a PP from the Internet to a CAP PP template, while providing the link in the PP to the original source. Would that be allowed since it's not for profit, or probably a no-no?
Health Services Officer
GLR-MI-183

caphornbuckle

Quote from: tmurphy on November 12, 2010, 05:00:41 AM
Just gave NESA a look, can't say I found much of what I need there. I  was hoping more along the lines of basic first aid, hand washing, etc. Searching online, all I could really find were either super detailed ones used to teach medical personnel, or super basic ones for kindergarten. I am also hesitant to use a non-CAP PowerPoint.

I did have an idea to transcribe a PP from the Internet to a CAP PP template, while providing the link in the PP to the original source. Would that be allowed since it's not for profit, or probably a no-no?

I would suggest you look at all the presentations you have found so far, take the information you want to get across to the members, and make your own.  Maybe post it somewhere where other HSO's can use it as well.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Eclipse

What are you looking to teach?

"That Others May Zoom"

tmurphy

Pretty much about first aid, hazards one might encounter at a crash site (scene safety), things that are health related the compliment ES component of our squadron.

I'll be pretty honest, while I'm a licensed EMT, I haven't worked as one outside of ride-alongs, and not for lack of trying. No one in this area is hiring. I've also never held a leader/manager position, so I'm pretty much at a loss as to how to handle things.
Health Services Officer
GLR-MI-183

EMT-83

This is an ongoing problem with the HSO program. A nurse or EMT joins, and they are instantly promoted and made HSO without anyone having a clue as to what the job should be.

It's encouraging that you actually want to develop a program for your squadron. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of guidance available so you'll have to make it up as you go along.

tmurphy

Yeah, I'm right there with you, that's partially why I wanted to find a group of health care professionals in CAP and maybe put together a sort of make shift set of resources to use until there actually is some sort of definition to the role.

Do any of you know any HSO groups? I've tried searching online, but to little avail.
Health Services Officer
GLR-MI-183

PA Guy

There is a HSO group on Yahoo.

tmurphy

Requested entrance into the group, now to play the waiting game.
Health Services Officer
GLR-MI-183

JC004

Why don't you put together a set of online resources for nutrition, health and physical fitness, then do a presentation with a nice little handout including site names, URL, and a short description (like one sentence each)?  You could include sites like mapmyrun.com, onlinefitnesslog.com (or similar), presidentschallenge.org, healthfinder.gov, cdc.gov, mypyramid.gov, state health web site(s), etc.

Other sites that cadets could look at might be Duke of Edinburgh's Award and Congressional Award sites which would give them awards to work on and have a physical fitness component. 

I did something like this once but it was a long time ago and the sites would be different now.