Main Menu

What CAP Folks Should Learn

Started by billford1, October 03, 2009, 07:15:56 PM

billford1

I realize that some CAP members don't do so well in certain situations when they're out & about. The things we've discussed are more noticeable when we have occasional contact with RM folks. Other folks in the public often just don't know who we are. I was in a truck stop one day on the way to a wing meeting when I had an unusual encounter with a guy who asked me if I'd been on any sub marine patrols. He went further to ask " Just what is it you guys do? "  I just smiled back and said we have a Cadet Program and we work with Emergency Services and Disaster Relief.  I sensed this guy had some past axe to grind when he said to me "I was in the USAF; I was Military." I got him to tell me that he had been a load master on a C-141. I did my best to be courteous to him and told him I'd been an Army Reservist over 30 years ago.  If I had been defensive with the guy the outcome might have been different.  I know of at least two occasions in our wing, at least one involving a Cadet when Cap Members were assaulted by individual NG or Army guys who were in uniform. I was unable to find out if there were any consequences for the offenders but the events did happen. My approach when I'm in the midst of RM folks is to not solicit their attention, and to stay with the CAP folks. I know that RM folks read our forum and it helps when they offer advice that we can put into practice. I guess I want to ask if others have seen similar events where misunderstandings are the end result.

lordmonar

As recent RM fold type.......if the RM gets out of line....put them back!

Some ass at a truck stop harrasing some random CAP guy is just as bad as some ass CAP guy out trolling for salutes or sneaking into the BX.

We don't tolerate that type of behavor from our CAP guys....we should not tolerate that type of behavor from the RM types.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: billford1 on October 03, 2009, 07:15:56 PM
I I was in a truck stop one day on the way to a wing meeting when I had an unusual encounter with a guy who asked me if I'd been on any sub marine patrols. He went further to ask " Just what is it you guys do? "  I just smiled back and said we have a Cadet Program and we work with Emergency Services and Disaster Relief. 

I know of at least two occasions in our wing, at least one involving a Cadet when Cap Members were assaulted by individual NG or Army guys who were in uniform. My approach when I'm in the midst of RM folks is to not solicit their attention, and to stay with the CAP folks. I know that RM folks read our forum and it helps when they offer advice that we can put into practice. I guess I want to ask if others have seen similar events where misunderstandings are the end result.

The CAP Uniform regulation has a specific limitation on when CAP uniforms should be worn with the overall objective to keep the wear at minimum when not specifically participating in a CAP activity.  Again my personal view is ANY wear specifically of AF style uniforms (and to a lesser degree other types of CAP uniforms, perhaps except for the golf shirt) could subject a CAP member to unwarranted attention, including attracting various "nut cases" (including home grown terrorists) that could cause a serious problem for the member. 

Unfortunately, CAP pays very little attention to briefing about terrorism, situational awareness & personal protection concepts  that could affect the members safety.   

The problem isn't the military on a military base, but once you are out in the civilian community in uniform, there's lots of uncontrollables.
RM 

Strick

I hate when I am in uniform and some donkey clown comes up to me and wants to tell me about when he was in the military and was on secret misions and other make belive junk.  I have had people come up to me and say that it has ben a long time since they have seen the uniform being worn.  These folks are retired or prior military and I tell them what CAP is , I wish them a good day and thank them for serving.   Some RM PERSON GETS RUDE WITH ME OR STARTS SOMETHING, YOU BETTER BELIVE I WILL CONTACT THEIR CO OR FIRST SGT.
[darn]atio memoriae

billford1

The case for me had to do with a 3 hour drive to Commander's Call and a needed stop to changeout coffee. I agree that some places like that do draw bizarre types. When I realized what I was dealing with I handled the guy in a way that left him just standing there.

We have Sarex's that involve UDF training where Cadets and Seniors drive out to rural areas to locate ELTs. There's usually a stop along the way at a gas station or fast food place in the course of the mission. The location of these incidents just happened to be in places where NG and Army folks from nearby Posts stop for the same reasons.  It's unclear what else was going on based on the info I have except that both incidents occurred within the last four years. 

I instruct Cadets not to initiate contact with strangers. In the case if I or one of my Cadets were accosted I would do my best to ID the guy and the vehicle he was in and get the Law Enforcement involved. If they are Military I would do my best to notify all the right people including the Base Commander.