What Awards Does Your Squadron Have?

Started by AngelWings, December 05, 2012, 04:04:59 AM

AngelWings

What awards does your squadron have and give out at awards banquets and special occasions? Particularly, what awards that your squadron came up with are handed out? I'm looking for some innovative ideas to increase morale via awards without handing out a piece of paper that says good job or a regular attaboy that is unique.

I've looked into challenge coins, which appear to be the most expensive thing I can get, plaques, trophies, certificates, patches, mugs, and atta boys.

I know this topic has been discussed before, but not in the context I am looking for. I want things that could either be awesome, funny, or able to get a good message across. I want it to be something that would make a cadet feel like they accomplished something too, and not just got something because I could.

Eclipse

The local "Things Remembered" has good, if pricey options for these types of awards.  I've presented clocks with engraved nameplates
to the Senior Member of The Year.

Vanguard now sells the CAP engrave-able challenge coins again, which are nice.

I received a shadow box with the enamel CAP seal, the unit coin, and a plate with my service tenure when I was relieved as Unit CC.

I've also scoured eBay on occasion to find military challenge coins that fit a particular duty or activity location.

A framed photo of an activity with a nameplate is nice.

Encased flags, especially something flown over a meaning full location (like unit HQ, military base, Iraq, State House, Congress) is cool.
(Retire a new US flag at the banquet, have the color guard fold it properly, and present it to someone).

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

I love those ideas Eclipse! Thank you, those are creative and would definitely make good and meaningful awards.

Woodsy

I think a lot of squadrons don't do many awards due to the expense of buying a "token" to present to the winner.  With that said, I don't think you absolutely have to give something tangible.  Should a squadron not pick a "senior member of the year" or similar awards because they can't afford 50 bucks for a plaque?  Heck no!  Call the person up in front of the squadron and have everyone give him a big round of applause and a handshake.  Any member active and involved enough to receive this type of award is likely to be aware of the financial constraints of the squadron and understand.  More so, any member this committed to CAP probably doesn't care about the plaque anyways. 

Another thing my old squadron (I say "old squadron" because I'm at wing-level now, though I'm just as active as ever at that squadron) is to print out certificates of appreciation, participation, etc for members.  For example, last year I got several, for things ranging from assisting at a promo booth at the fair and the wreathes across America ceremony.  Everyone that attended these events got one.  These are quick, easy and cheap to do at home. 

Private Investigator

I like framing certificates and presenting them. You never know who appreciates them. One member has a whole wall at his home lined with CAP stuff. Another member has CAP awards posted in his cubicle at work. If they just want to stick them in a closet that is ok too. I did my part. 

When I was a Group Commander we had a trophy that passed annually to the Squadron Commander who made the best effort in all things. It was the back end of a donkey. It was fun and funny too. At the Squadron level I always added awards like, "Most Improved Cadet" and "Most Inspirational Cadet". Especially since two or three Cadets used to win every award so I tried to spread the wealth.   

Private Investigator

Another item I wanted to add was giving tokens of appreciation. Vanguard has the "Civil Air Patrol" ink pens for $1.20 each. I give those out to Cadets and even some Senior Members like to get a token of appreciation.