What are the chances someone from National will ever Visit your Unit?

Started by Major Carrales, February 05, 2007, 05:58:36 PM

Major Carrales

I was thinking the other day that I rarely even get a visit from Group, even more seldom (unless its a friend from a nearby unit who is in the staff) from Wing.

I know distance is an issue, but what are the chances that a National Level figure might visit your meeting?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

LtCol White

Are you referring to an "official visit" or a visit from the dark blue van with blacked out windows? I think those late night van visits are more likely. HAHAHA
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

Quote from: LtCol White on February 05, 2007, 06:15:46 PM
Are you referring to an "official visit" or a visit from the dark blue van with blacked out windows? I think those late night van visits are more likely. HAHAHA

Ah...BLACK VAN WINKLE, the BIG SLEEP!!! 

I mean, if my unit were in Alabama, would I get visits from National Level CAP Officers or do they tend to stay away from the local level?  Do they often just show up?  How often?

Can I ever expect a call from some National Level person asking to visit the unit just to meet my blokes?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Al Sayre

Well, since we are co-located with Wing HQ, we have had our share of folks peeking in the door...  The previous SQ/CC got promoted to 1st Lt by MAJ GEN Pineda.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

MajorSER

I guess it depends where you live.  We here in South Florida have that honor many times.
It is very impressionable to get your Mitchell from the National Commander.
Lt. Col. David Crockwell MLO
FC 07-09-08
Я был там как солдатом

Major Carrales

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 05, 2007, 06:20:44 PM
Well, since we are co-located with Wing HQ, we have had our share of folks peeking in the door...  The previous SQ/CC got promoted to 1st Lt by MAJ GEN Pineda.

Well, Wing presence aside.  What if it was Corpus Christi Composite, or Chemung/Schuyler Composite Squadron or some Northern California Squadron?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Al Sayre

We still get some of the Wheels at our Wing Conference, but other than that it's unlikely unless we really srew up.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Pylon

The previous SQ/CC got promoted to 1st Lt by MAJ GEN Pineda.

Holy smokes!  How are you going to top that one for the next promotion?   8)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Al Sayre

I'll be happy just to GET a next promotion....  We are having a Wing Change of Command at the Wing Conference, so it's pretty likely we'll have some NHQ VIP's present.  (maybe if I'm real good between now and then...I am eligible in April)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

mikeylikey

:D  never.........I also predict never.  Maybe it is all for the better, would not want to show off and impress the big wigs too much! 

What's up monkeys?

carnold1836

Quote from: Pylon on February 05, 2007, 06:35:39 PM
The previous SQ/CC got promoted to 1st Lt by MAJ GEN Pineda.

Holy smokes!  How are you going to top that one for the next promotion?   8)

Getting your C/2d Lt pips from the Chief of Staff Texas Air National Guard. Two of my cadets were promoted with Col. West in attendance this past December.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 05, 2007, 05:58:36 PM
I was thinking the other day that I rarely even get a visit from Group, even more seldom (unless its a friend from a nearby unit who is in the staff) from Wing.

I know distance is an issue, but what are the chances that a National Level figure might visit your meeting?

If you want to meet them THAT bad Joe, just screw something up!
Another former CAP officer

Major_Chuck

Rare.  We're collocated with Wing HQ as well but they do their thing on Monday nights, we do ours on Tuesdays.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

afgeo4

Unannounced visits by higher headquarters without the presence of lower headquarters is or should be looked down upon. It is disrespectful to all commanders between the unit visiting and the unit visited.

So... if someone from NHQ was to come over unannounced, the proper thing to do would be to have someone from Region HQ, Wing HQ, and Group HQ present as well. That's very difficult. If the visit is planned, permission from lower headquarters and timely notification would be sufficient. Now, I'm not saying it can't or won't be done, but it shouldn't be done, out of respect.
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

I don't know if I'd really want a National director or the National Commander popping in for a meeting.  Seems like it'd throw a kink in the normal flow of things, just enough to impede the work we'd be doing.  No thanks for the regular meetings.

For a banquet?  That'd be pretty cool.  But given our location in rural, upstate New York I doubt we have to worry too much about that.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Ladyhawk

Be careful what you wish for.  The anticipation of such a visit can be unnerving - even if what you're doing is very positive.  Fortunately, the actual visits (in my experience) have been quite pleasant. 

As the former commander of a squadron that routinely supported an NCSA (National Flight Academy - Gliders), I've had the experience of having visits from NHQ staffers, the Region and Wing commanders and the CAP-USAF commander.  (The National Commander was invited to visit but couldn't fit it into his schedule.)

Did the visits disrupt things?  Well, no more than the NCSA itself disrupted the normal ebb and flow.  Wonderful activity but lots of work.

If you really want these folks to pay you a visit, get the squadron involved in a high profile activity.  It goes without saying that you want this to be a positive thing rather than negative.

bosshawk

The only time that I have seen anyone from the National Staff is at the CAWG Conference; usally one or two with the then Vice(Gen Pineda) on one occasion.  Also once at a NorthWest CD conference in Seattle, when the Director of OPs made a presentation.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SAR-EMT1

Question: are the NHQ staff reimbursed to travel to visit units, or events?
If they arent that would probably answer the question right there.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

bosshawk

I have to believe that they get their travel, lodging and per diem paid for those trips.  Doubt that any of them are independently wealthy enough to do it on their own.  I would have to assume that the National staff has a travel budget, just like Wings do.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Hartley

Hi Y'all,

I can confirm that NHQ paid staff and also some volunteers receive reimbursement for travel, lodging and sometimes per diem when on "National Business", and yes, they do have a "travel budget" - in fact, each area has their own, some more, some less - as you can imagine, some departments do a lot more travel than others.

Wing Commanders and some others are also reimbursed (sometimes only partially) for travel to meetings such as the National Board or NEC and also for official travel related to their position (such as a Region CC traveling to a Wing Conference in their region).  I would imagine that the National volunteer staff (Maj Gen Pineda and his staff) are also reimbursed for official duty travel, but this I don't know about directly.

I also know that travel budgets are one area that has been cut with the current budget, so the probability of seeing NHQ staff at the local/Wing level is probably somewhat less than before...

73 DE Hartley