ANy Tuskegee Airmen Squadrons out there

Started by flyguy06, January 05, 2007, 12:47:01 AM

flyguy06

I notice a few Squadrons have the name Tuskegee Airmen or are named after a Tuskegee Airmaan. I find this very intriguing. I would lik eto get some info from these units as to what kind of activities they do and how they incorporate the Tuskegee Airmen history into their CAP program.

Johnny Yuma

Well, NEWG has the 99th pursuit composite squadron, named for one of the all-black fighter squadrons of WW2. They're based out of Omaha, meet a a magnet school and I believe they get a lot of at-risk kids into the program. There's a TA group up there in the Omaha area that I'll bet probably works with the unit in one way or another.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

JohnKachenmeister

When I ran a cadet squadron, I incorporated the story of the Tuskeegee Airmen in training either the last week of January or the first week of February.  This would coincide with "Black History Month" (Feb.) in the public schools.  My guys were then armed with the facts about a great chapter in our Air Force history, and could therefore impress the teachers who usually lack the knowledge needed to get past George Washington Carver and his peanuts.
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

A squadron in ILWG - RiverPark, was recently rename the Julius Jackson Composite Squadron, after a member who is a surviving TA.

And Cornelius Coffey Squadron (also IL) was named for the the man who ran Coffey School of Aeronautics at Harlem Airport, near Chicago, which trained about 1,500 men, many of whom went on to be TA's.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

Thanks guys, thats just what I was looking for

DNall

Well, we have a whole dif chapter with our last TAG here in Texas, guy I got to meet & let me tell ya... dang! Bad azz special little coin he'd give by the way.

I don't know so much about CAP, but I do know there's some pretty special integrated history DURING wwII even before the military caught up with us. That's a worthy story to be told also. Somebody call a historian, and the history channel...