What did you spend on CAP in 2010?

Started by RVT, January 12, 2011, 07:31:47 PM

RVT

Thanks to Quicken I can report that in my case, during 2010 I spent:

$1,282.10 on Civil Air Patrol

$249.18 on Coast Guard Auxiliary (and I was actually more active)

And I joined both organizations in July, so thats only half a year.

NCRblues

I figure this every year now, since i write cap expenses off on some state and federal taxes...

2010's total came to $7,456.... :-\

To explain this a little, i am very active in a wing i do not live in. I drive 5 hours at a minimum to go to meetings and other functions. If its an encampment or function at wing HQ, add another 2.5 hours to that drive. I feed cadets and other members on my own dime when they cant afford to feed themselves AND attend the functions. So, i feel pretty good about this.  ;D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Defender

Well, after all....CAP DOES stand for "Come And Pay"....doesn't it?? ;D
JOHN R SANTIAGO, 1LT, CAP
COMMANDER     GLR OH 051

"Excellence Is Our Standard"

peter rabbit

only $1,862.01 plus 3618 miles at 14 cents/mile ($506.52) equals $2,368.53.

RRLE

Quote14 cents/mile

Congrats on using the correct 2011 Mileage Rate. Very often, the incorrect business mileage rate of $0.51 is used. That rate can only be used by (paid) employees who are not reimbursed for mileage.

GroundHawg

More than I should have and less than I wanted to...

jeders

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 13, 2011, 01:46:37 PM
More than I should have and less than I wanted to...

As much as it pains me to do this, +1.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

arBar

I joined in August, so in about 4 months I spent almost $400.00, most of which was on uniforms.  For my family that's alot of money, but its an investment.  Now I've got BDUs, golf shirt uniform, and aviator uniform.  Next time I go to overnight training (CLC, etc.) I won't have to wear the same clothes 2 days in a row.

Phillip

I was inactive for the first half of the year, so not a whole lot.  Off the top of my head, probably just a hair under $100 for a new golf shirt, new belt for my BDUs, and money for a squadron Dining Out.
Captain

addo1

A Lot.

$2,000 on summer activities (Encampment, COS, NBB, etc...)
$500 on CAP supplies
Hundreds of dollars on weekly squadron travel looking at 60 miles each direction...

Needless to say, my pocketbook feels it significantly. But when I think about how much more has been spent on me by CAP/USAF (COS, NCAC, etc), I am perfectly content.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

TCMajor

I started to calculate it, but then my wife came in the room and I had to eat the evidence.  Easily over $2000.00.
Major Kevin N. Harbison, CAP
Major, USA (RET)
Commander
Greater Nashua Composite Squadron

IceNine

This was a light year.  I basically didn't do anything fun.

I went to encampment, and drove a lot. No hotel stays, no conference or pd fees.  I might have spent $1200.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Chicago_Pilot

Ignorance in bliss.  I prefer not to keep tabs.

Eclipse

Not a deduction I am willing to sacrifice to mental health.

"That Others May Zoom"

PWK-GT

What 'Chicago_Pilot' said :-)

I'm more worried about what the better half says...than the IRS.
"Is it Friday yet"

RADIOMAN015

I spent just under $250.00.  66% of this was in direct support of my squadron (e.g. squadron quarterly dues).  It is likely I will spend about the same in CY 2011.  I don't plan on buying any uniforms, badges, etc and it is unlikely I will travel to the Wing Conference this year since it is about 3 hours away travel time and I don't want to spend the money to stay overnight.  I live very close to the squadron so travel expense is not a factor.

It's unfortunate that our so called "audited statements" don't better reflect with a specific foot note to the statements that most expenses at the squadron level are member funded.
RM   

SABRE17

when it comes to writing off CAP expenses, how do i go about writing them off, how much can I write off, and can i write them off federally as well as state? (live in commonwealth of Massachusetts fyi)

Eclipse

Quote from: SABRE17 on January 16, 2011, 02:26:17 PM
when it comes to writing off CAP expenses, how do i go about writing them off, how much can I write off, and can i write them off federally as well as state? (live in commonwealth of Massachusetts fyi)

The real answer is between you and your tax man.

Here is what the KB has to say about that.  See answers 283 & 73.

The deductibility of charitable contributions is discussed in detail in IRS Publication 526, Charitable Contributions.  See examples below from Publication 526 Charitable Contributions

Out-of-Pocket Expenses in Giving Services You may be able to deduct some amounts you pay in giving services to a qualified organization. The amounts must be: Unreimbursed, Directly connected with the services, Expenses you had only because of the services you gave, and not personal, living, or family expenses.

Conventions. If you are a chosen representative attending a convention of a qualified organization, you can deduct unreimbursed expenses for travel and transportation, including a reasonable amount for meals and lodging, while away from home overnight in connection with the convention. However, see Travel, later. You cannot deduct personal expenses for sightseeing, fishing parties, theater tickets, or nightclubs. You also cannot deduct travel, meals and lodging, and other expenses for your spouse or children.

Uniforms. You can deduct the cost and upkeep of uniforms that are not suitable for everyday use and that you must wear while performing donated services for a charitable organization.

Maintaining accurate records and retaining the documentation is the key to maximizing your deduction. Since everyone's tax situation is unique, you should seek competent tax counsel to apply the IRS guidelines to your specific fact situation.

From what I understand, if you don't itemize, you can't apply these expenses, however most homeowners itemize.
I work primarily for myself, part time as a rider instructor, and my professional and CAP equipment are complimentary and sometimes overlapping (computers, GPS, etc.).  In many cases when I buy something "big", I will apportion its use and value between buckets, or only write off a portion of total cost.

Some things I am comfortable listing as deductions:

100% of uniforms which are only CAP use.

100% of equipment which is only CAP use (24 hour gear, flight headset, aero charts, etc).

100% of dry cleaning and other upkeep of uniform parts which are CAP only use.

100% of motel, etc., for CAP activities.

Non-reimbursed  mileage and other travel expenses to CAP activities.

Some meals during activities (not all).

A portion of my cell phone use related to CAP.

CAP use of a broadband card or other similar service may also be deductible.

Pilots who do flight training or incur other expenses specifically for CAP may well be able to write off some of that money.

Since I am itemizing anyway, these receipts are just more on the pile.  While some people are very aggressive in their deductions, I am purposely conservative, primarily for ethical reasons, but also as a buffer should I ever be audited.  I don't list anything I would not be comfortable demonstrating CAP or business use of in front of a hearing officer or judge, and I have a fair amount of non-listed receipts to produce should some expenses be disallowed during an audit.  This costs me money, but helps me sleep at night.

This is what I and others in my circle do.  I am not a tax person or lawyerIf you cite this thread in your audit hearing they will laugh at you and so will I.  Consult with your preparer or spend time with the regulations if you self-prepare.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: SABRE17 on January 16, 2011, 02:26:17 PM

I used to do taxes professionally, but am not familiar with the Mass. tax laws, so can only give you very general guidance on their deductions.

Federal - you need to have income. Deductions offset income. Since you are a cadet, you are probably claimed as a dependent on your parents' return, and cannot itemize deductions on your own tax return.

Your parents might be able to itemize, and include your expenses, if they have enough itemized deductions to exceed the standard deduction.standard. The key to this is generally home ownership.

State - most states use the federal itemized deduction, with occasional differences based on the state tax laws, where something the feds allow isn't allowed by the state.

Good luck, and work on those writing skills some more. It will make folks more willing to help you out on here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret