Cadet Ball

Started by Capmonkey, August 06, 2018, 06:46:52 PM

OldGuy

BTW CAPP 3 includes a "Sample Dining In Agenda", so this appears to be a nationally sanctioned activity.

Eclipse

Quote from: OldGuy on August 13, 2018, 09:17:35 PM
BTW CAPP 3 includes a "Sample Dining In Agenda", so this appears to be a nationally sanctioned activity.

Dining in?  Yes.

The grog nonsense?  No.

And considering that the document still contains the term "smoking lamp", not exactly the most
current in regards to social norms, despite its date.

Also this...
CAPP 3 Page 30:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P003_FB179DB158264.pdf
"DINING IN AND DINING OUT
The Dining In and Dining Out represent the most formal aspects of the Civil Air Patrol social life. The
Dining In is a formal dinner solely for the officers of a Wing, Unit or other organization
. The Dining Out
is a relatively new custom which includes spouses and guests. This form is commonly used in Civil Air
Patrol."

So...no NCOs for starters, nor mom, Jenny, or the guy from the airport who gives CAP hangar space.

Dining Outs can include non-service guests, are less formal, and de-emphasize many of the military
traditions because of the non-service audience (or at least that's what wiki says).

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on August 13, 2018, 09:41:37 PM
Quote from: OldGuy on August 13, 2018, 09:17:35 PM

Dining in?  Yes.

The grog nonsense?  No.

And considering that the document still contains the term "smoking lamp", not exactly the most
current in regards to social norms, despite its date.

Also this...
CAPP 3 Page 30:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P003_FB179DB158264.pdf
"DINING IN AND DINING OUT
The Dining In and Dining Out represent the most formal aspects of the Civil Air Patrol social life. The
Dining In is a formal dinner solely for the officers of a Wing, Unit or other organization
. The Dining Out
is a relatively new custom which includes spouses and guests. This form is commonly used in Civil Air
Patrol."

So...no NCOs for starters, nor mom, Jenny, or the guy from the airport who gives CAP hangar space.

Dining Outs can include non-service guests, are less formal, and de-emphasize many of the military
traditions because of the non-service audience (or at least that's what wiki says).

Then I guess the Air Force units I was a member of were doing it wrong because ALL unit members, officer and enlisted were expected to attend.
Granted these were flying units, but still, this was the "real military".

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on August 13, 2018, 10:28:40 PM
Then I guess the Air Force units I was a member of were doing it wrong because ALL unit members, officer and enlisted were expected to attend.
Granted these were flying units, but still, this was the "real military".

Just quoting the pamphlet that was proposed to justify the practice...

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

By the by, the term "smoking lamp" hasn't been used to denote "smoke 'em if you got 'em" since well before I joined CAP.

It's a symbolic term for "we're on."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.