What Wing Commander had the shortest tour/term?

Started by Private Investigator, February 23, 2014, 06:38:39 PM

FW

Quote from: Cindi on February 24, 2014, 02:45:14 AM
Quote from: PHall on February 24, 2014, 02:39:19 AM
And Virginia finally got her Eagles back and she is now the PACR/CV.

All's well that ends well!

I'm also glad Col Nelson got her Eagles back, however her relief from command was justified.  CAWG, at the time, had almost $250k unaccounted for in aircraft maintanence funds.  This was due to a long and improper practice of letting squadrons have the money without accounting for it.  Col Nelson refused to correct the practice and deal with the shortfalls.  The Air Force insisted we pay back the money.  When Col Nelson refused to come to terms, she was relieved of command.  The entire  membership of CAP ended up paying for the shortfall when Gen Courter forgave CAWG's debt, and promoted Virginia to the grade of Col. 

Other wings had also had such shortfalls, however no other wing's debt was forgiven that I know of, and no other commander was relieved because of it. 

Quote from: a2capt on February 24, 2014, 03:11:02 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 24, 2014, 03:08:11 AMIMHO, the only member he ultimately served was himself. YMMV.
... and someone gave him (back) the bird ... Amazing. The whole era was majorly disappointing, and itself should not be forgotten, lest we go there again.

Our recent history has been full of such nonsense.  Our present governance is partially the result.  We must all remember what we went through and build a stronger foundation; holding our core values to heart, and focusing on serving our communities as the professionals we train to be.

"it is what it is" (anon)... :(

SarDragon

I know that you were a lot closer to the situation than the rank and file folks here in CAWG, but the word I was given by two different legal beagles in the wing was that the money was: a. never missing, just "improperly accounted for", and b. the money was paid back via reduced wing dues disbursements ver some period of time.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

What you heard was misleading. The funds were not just unaccounted for. Squadrons used them for other purposes. The wing paid back only a very small portion of the debt by the time it was forgiven.

The point I'm trying to make is; these political decisions don't do much good for CAP. We should do better.

Airfoil

I recall Vern Fowler in Georgia Wing had a pretty short stay before his hasty departure.

Private Investigator

Quote from: FW on February 24, 2014, 10:58:40 AM
What you heard was misleading. The funds were not just unaccounted for. Squadrons used them for other purposes. The wing paid back only a very small portion of the debt by the time it was forgiven.

The point I'm trying to make is; these political decisions don't do much good for CAP. We should do better.

You are saying, basically they were commingling funds. It happens all the time in the corporate world but anyways I can see why we went to "Wing Banker".

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 25, 2014, 08:42:31 PMYou are saying, basically they were commingling funds. It happens all the time in the corporate world but anyways I can see why we went to "Wing Banker".

Part of the problem is that many wings were (are?) assigning aircraft to squadrons and then
actually expecting the units to cover some maintenance and incidentals costs - I've heard some
horror stories about big dollars being expected from squadrons.

As said, WBP, CMX, and other controls have all but eliminated these as even possible anymore,
and the fact that Col Nelsen got her eagles back is a clear indication that things may not have been
done correctly, but in the grande scheme, no fraud was alleged.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 25, 2014, 08:42:31 PM

You are saying, basically they were commingling funds. It happens all the time in the corporate world but anyways I can see why we went to "Wing Banker".
Not comingling - misappropriating funds. If the funds are provided for a specific purpose, then used for something else, that's misappropriation. Also not uncommon in the corporate world, but can create serious issues.

Private Investigator

Quote from: arajca on February 25, 2014, 09:31:16 PM

Not comingling - misappropriating funds. If the funds are provided for a specific purpose, then used for something else, that's misappropriation. Also not uncommon in the corporate world, but can create serious issues.

If you wrote a check on acct #5150 instead of on acct #5051, you made a boo boo and it will get corrected. It is different if you wrote a check on acct #5150 for your mistress in Belize. Then I will come and get you   8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2014, 09:21:23 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on February 25, 2014, 08:42:31 PMYou are saying, basically they were commingling funds. It happens all the time in the corporate world but anyways I can see why we went to "Wing Banker".

Part of the problem is that many wings were (are?) assigning aircraft to squadrons and then
actually expecting the units to cover some maintenance and incidentals costs - I've heard some
horror stories about big dollars being expected from squadrons.

As said, WBP, CMX, and other controls have all but eliminated these as even possible anymore,
and the fact that Col Nelsen got her eagles back is a clear indication that things may not have been
done correctly, but in the grande scheme, no fraud was alleged.

I concur   :clap:

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on February 25, 2014, 09:31:16 PMNot comingling - misappropriating funds. If the funds are provided for a specific purpose, then used for something else, that's misappropriation. Also not uncommon in the corporate world, but can create serious issues.

I agree, but it's a fine line.

"Misappropriation" infers theft. "Misaccounting" is probably a better term.  To bean counters in the GAO it may mean the same
thing, but they are used to operating in a mostly employee environment where everyone in the room is getting paid, plus expenses
and sometimes housing and life expenses.   In that world, "misappropriation" is self-enrichment.

In a CAP paradigm, it's usually someone trying to do the right thing, who uses the wrong pen, wrong account code, or
puts the gas bill in the electric company envelope and forgets to sign the electric bill.  And usually the people involved
have paid for the privilege of being accused of stealing.

For every pizza sale bug-out, there's 1000 man hours spent doing ROS' for a $6 car adapter, or a 20-year old broken typewriter
someone mid-classified as FOB.

Personally, I've seen plenty of situations where people were just "lights off", made bad decisions, or who can't balance
their own checkbook, but few and far between actual malfeasance.  With that sad, I also know of a number
of high-visibility, high-dollar outright thefts that wee the catalyst for many f our rules an procedures.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 25, 2014, 09:42:24 PM
Quote from: arajca on February 25, 2014, 09:31:16 PM

If you wrote a check on acct #5150 instead of on acct #5051, you made a boo boo and it will get corrected. It is different if you wrote a check on acct #5150 for your mistress in Belize. Then I will come and get you   8)

Aircraft maintanence funds are restricted to just that.  If a squadron uses the money to pay for anything else; FWA!  The Air Force is never happy when taxpayer assets are missused.  Because this was pre WB and CMX, we can say it was just sloppy book keeping. It is why the Air Force just wanted a refund instead of someone's head in a box.  That a commander would refuse to correct such.... not so good. 

Eclipse

Quote from: FW on February 25, 2014, 10:43:02 PMThat a commander would refuse to correct such.... not so good.

Yeah, that's the weird wrinkle in this.

Caught with a major error, just fix it.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Not exactly as dramatic as a removal from command, but if memory serves correct, I remember reading about a wing commander back in the 70s that died after only 3 months into the position during a CAP aircraft accident.  I think it was Iowa or Nebraska. 

a2capt

That hand's off, no ruffled feathers approach .. which tended to be what it was, especially if it wasn't cadet-centric, does not always end well. :)

The type of command that you could bring a clear problem to the table, have a discussion on it, and leave not knowing if anything was going to happen, or if they even believe anything is wrong.. 

Eclipse

It's an interesting paradigm - for all the rhetoric about being a military auxiliary, being officers, and now the NCO reboot,
pomp and circumstance, etc., the one part that we actually need - "doing what you're directed to do, when you're directed to do it,
in the manner you are directed to do it, like it or not", is all but left on the table.

And in many organizations which have similar missions and purpose, that's pretty much the only thing that is expected, to
the exclusion of everything else.  "Do what you're told, or leave".

Everyone can't be "empowered, self-directed, and self-actualized" while at the same time beholden to higher authority.

"That Others May Zoom"

spaatzmom

Antonio J. Pineda, Jr.
Major General
Past Commander, Florida Wing, CAP
(Aug 10-Dec. 13, 1996

Joseph M. Martin
Colonel
( August 18, 2001. to 11-SEP-2001) As a result of incompatible differences with the Region Commander at the time, then Colonel Antonio J. Pineda, Jr., he resigned from the position and now retains the grade of Lieutenant Colonel.

a2capt

What a joke, how they didn't see that coming .. so sad.

MSG Mac

Quote from: spaatzmom on February 26, 2014, 12:38:36 AM

Antonio J. Pineda, Jr.
Major General
(Aug 10-Dec. 13, 1996

Joseph M. Martin
Colonel
( August 18, 2001. to 11-SEP-2001) As a result of incompatible differences with the Region Commander at the time, then Colonel Antonio J. Pineda, Jr., he resigned from the position and now retains the grade of Lieutenant Colonel.

His son Col. Joseph M. Martin Jr became FLWG/CC three years later. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Oh, good lord. I read that at first as another Pineda .. good god, no. Scarlet Letter all the way. I'm sorry, but just No.

spaatzmom

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 26, 2014, 02:10:39 AM
Quote from: spaatzmom on February 26, 2014, 12:38:36 AM

Antonio J. Pineda, Jr.
Major General
(Aug 10-Dec. 13, 1996

Joseph M. Martin
Colonel

His son Col. Joseph M. Martin Jr became FLWG/CC three years later.

Yup and both the Martin's are very honorable men.  Florida wing is fortunate to have them.