Interesting...An Auxiliary to CAP?

Started by Papabird, February 11, 2014, 04:25:28 PM

Papabird

Looking at this chart, CAP is in the upper right corner with a red prop.  But look at the bottom left corner, a Blue CD labeled as CD Auxiliary.  I wonder if there ever was a thought of a blue prop Aux to the CAP.  And yes I understand we were not the USAF Auxiliary at the time.  I just thought it was interesting.

Image from the CAP Cadet History Project.  Thanks to those making it! :clap:
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

Private Investigator

Since the American Legion has a American Legion Auxiliary; I thought auxiliaries were for wives.

Now I found it interesting they had auxiliary police and auxiliary firemen for CD in WWII.  8)

THRAWN

I came across this a few years a go while doing a research paper on CD in the USA:

http://www.alternatewars.com/WW3/Civil_Defense/CD_Organization.htm

Gives a good broad explanation of each of the "specialties".
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Jaison009

That was really cool THRAWN. As a EM kind of guy I appreciated it so thank you.

Quote from: THRAWN on February 11, 2014, 08:41:06 PM
I came across this a few years a go while doing a research paper on CD in the USA:

TarRiverRat

Before my father was taken into the Air Corps, he was one of the Air Raid Warden in Rocky Mount, NC.  He worked for the Rail Road and his enlistment was delayed due to his work at the Rail Road.  He had several funny stories about patrolling at night for blackout.  He ended up in the 13th Air Force in the South and South West Pacific.  Was at Guadalcanal, New Guinea, and Philippines.  He was with the XIII Fighter Command HQ Squadron.  Planes from the Fighter Command's squadrons shot down Admiral Yamamoto.  Rex Barber, per later investigations into the shoot down, was the pilot that shot the Admiral down.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

MSG Mac

There is an ongoing controversy as whether it was Barber or Lamphier who shot the plane down.  Both were awarded the Navy Cross for the shoot down.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TarRiverRat

They should have got the MOH.  Bong got MOH for just doing his job of shooting down enemy aircraft.  The stories of each pilot concerning the shoot down and the evidence that was gathered as well as Japanese reports of how the Admiral was found prove that Barber was the shoot down pilot.  AFA has stated Barber is clearly the shoot down pilot but Air Force will not change and still will keep half credit for Lamphier and Barber.  13th Air Force Veterans Association gives credit to Barber due to the evidence that has been presented.  Lamphier, I understand, was a real piece of work.  He was looking at building a rep for himself for after the war.  Last I heard he is no longer listed as an Ace due to discrepancies in other claimed kills.  I was the Membership manager for the 13th Air Force Veterans Association and am the Founder and President of the Jungle Air Force Historical Society.  I do a traveling museum of artifacts and memorabilia from the 13th Air Force.  Read everything I can about them.  I also belong to several of the different unit organizations as an Associate Member.

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Private Investigator

Quote from: THRAWN on February 11, 2014, 08:41:06 PM

I found that interesting too. Thanks for sharing.  :clap:

Private Investigator

Quote from: TarRiverRat on February 12, 2014, 11:03:52 AM
They should have got the MOH.  Bong got MOH for just doing his job of shooting down enemy aircraft.  ...

Apples or oranges or if you prefer 50% of a coffee cup. Somebody always wants to be a Monday morning quarterback but I am not going to second guess America's greatest generation  8)

TarRiverRat

I don't second guess Americas Greatest Generation either.  My dad was one of them. The 13th AF Vets feel that certain members of their numbered Air Force got slighted in the MOH category.  Not a single member of the 13th Air Force received even one MOH.  There were plenty acts of bravery that could have been awarded but did not.  The 5th Air Force seemed not to have any trouble getting the MOH.  In the Solomon's, or South Pacific, they came under the command of Admiral Halsey and in the South West Pacific they came under command of McArthur.  Halsey hated giving credit to Army and McArthur had his pet Air Force with the 5th.  The 13th ended up being the red headed stepchild.  I have even seen one author try to give the shoot down credit to the 5th Air Force.  Can not remember the book or the author at this time.  When I look in to books on the Pacific war, I always look in the index to see how units are listed and the 13th always seems to get the short end.  I have even seen units listed under the 5th Air Force and then see units that I know are from the 13th but just listed as the unit and not showing assignment.  For example you with see 80th Fighter Squadron 5th Air Force but then see the 44th Fighter Squadron listed without the assignment of 13th Air Force.  Just a pet peeve of mine and does not really matter.  Just want the men of the 13th to get the credit they deserve.

Private Investigator

"Leadership Secrets of the Rogue Warrior: A Commando's Guide to Success" is a book by United States Navy SEAL veteran Dick Marcinko and "About Face: The Odyssey of an American Warrior" is a book by US Army Col David Hackworth.

Both have similar but different opinions on awards. One says the Army gets a higher valor award for a comparable act than the Navy. One says the Navy always gets a higher award than the Army. One thing is that only 3,449 Medals of Honor has been awarded. If 100,000 or 200,000 were awarded than the status would be less. Of course many acts go unrecognized, i.e. Custers Last Stand.

The one thing we can do in CAP is recognize our members.

MSG Mac

The insignia shown by the OP is for an Auxiliary of the Civil Defense Organization, Not a Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Papabird

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 18, 2014, 05:24:28 PM
The insignia shown by the OP is for an Auxiliary of the Civil Defense Organization, Not a Civil Air Patrol Auxiliary

Sir, that is why I said, "I wonder if there ever was a thought of a blue prop Aux to the CAP".

More to the point, some of the others on this chart are already Auxiliary organizations, (Fire & Police) with red devices, but then there is the CD Aux was blue.  It was interesting and showed a bit of inconsistency.

I was also thinking about the same CAP device but with a blue prop.  Could even be for our sponsor members...   >:D
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

RNugget

I did find the Citizen Services Corps interesting;

QuoteThe U. S. Citizens Service Corps will be supervised nationally by the Civilian Mobilization Branch of the OCD. Members of the Citizens Service Corps must take an oath to defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States and to perform all duties to which they are assigned

I wonder what kind of duties they were assigned that required an oath to defend and uphold the Constitution?

Eclipse

Quote from: RNugget on February 28, 2014, 01:21:19 AMI wonder what kind of duties they were assigned that required an oath to defend and uphold the Constitution?

Handbook here: http://atomichistory.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/citzencorps_1942.pdf

"The U.S. Citizens Service Corps is charged with the responsibility of leading the fight against inefficiency, insecurity, and poor health within a community, and thus the total striking power of the nation." (p.4)

Today's madonna works for victory (p.14)

War workers must have decent homes (p.22)

Never too old to learn (p.26)

America reads books; the Axis burns them (p. 28)

Facts are fists to smash the Axis (p.30)

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

If I am not mistaken, an application to volunteer for the old Office of Civil Defense contained a similar requirement, to swear to uphold the US Constitution...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

RNugget

I guess it wouldn't have seemed as unusual to me if all Civil Defense members took the same oath. It just specified it for that position and then was pretty vague on what they did.

That handbook is a neat find. I only did a few seconds of google-ing and DHS's Citizen Corps was getting in the way of the results I wanted. Thanks for that!

Edit: I think I kind of hoped it was more sinister.

EMT-83

After being appointed Emergency Manager Director, I spent some time digging through old boxes in the attic of town hall. One of the more interesting finds was the McCarthy-era loyalty oaths signed by the Civil Defense volunteers.

Cindi

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 28, 2014, 03:18:50 AM
After being appointed Emergency Manager Director, I spent some time digging through old boxes in the attic of town hall. One of the more interesting finds was the McCarthy-era loyalty oaths signed by the Civil Defense volunteers.

McCarthy-era poster: