Eight National Staff Vacancies in History Program

Started by MisterCD, May 20, 2013, 12:31:45 PM

Private Investigator

Those are vacancies or newly created positions?

a2capt

Newly created positions, with a focus area for each, instead of a one and an assistant. It's the head, an assistant, and 7 other niche assistants. Either NHQ has decided they want -a lot- more from the Historian Section, or they just got so busy they couldn't handle it.

MisterCD

Quote from: a2capt on May 21, 2013, 01:29:52 AM
Newly created positions, with a focus area for each, instead of a one and an assistant. It's the head, an assistant, and 7 other niche assistants. Either NHQ has decided they want -a lot- more from the Historian Section, or they just got so busy they couldn't handle it.

I am the new Chief Historian (interim) of the CAP, replacing Lt Col Wiest.  I drafted the new positions and job descriptions and they received approval by MG Carr.  The overall plan is to divide up the work load and conform more with professional historical practices and align the CAP history program with the USAF History and Museums Program with its four areas of museums, archives/research, publications, and outreach.  Furthermore, the intention is to increase the depth and reach of the program to incorporate reenacting, digital media, museum displays, and increase publications and oral histories to assist members in their professional development. Three of the positions are NHQ positions: National Curator, National Archivist, and Assistant Chief Historian.  The remainder are ADY.

Regards,
Dr. Frank Blazich, Jr.
1st Lt, CAP
Chief Historian (interim)

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spacecommand

Did the position title of "National Historian" change to "Chief Historian"? 

MisterCD

capmaj

Is Col Charlie Wiest no longer the Historian????? What happened?

Critical AOA

Quote from: capmaj on May 21, 2013, 12:04:00 PM

Perhaps, he has become history.   >:D

Yeah, I know.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

stillamarine

Read the openings. Don't qualify due to rank. Too bad. I was actually interested as I'm a bit of a history nut. :(
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

spacecommand

Though it doesn't prevent you from getting involved in your unit or wing's history program (if any), if there isn't you could start one.  Thankfully I came from a unit that had a very long history.

Private Investigator

Quote from: stillamarine on May 22, 2013, 03:47:15 AM
Read the openings. Don't qualify due to rank. Too bad. I was actually interested as I'm a bit of a history nut. :(

Squadron Historian is a great starting spot. That was the only 'open' Staff job on my first Squadron. Actually lots of Squadrons do not have a Historian. Do a great job and Wing Historian is next.   8)

MisterCD

Quote from: stillamarine on May 22, 2013, 03:47:15 AM

It reads "desired requirements," ergo not absolute.  By all means apply.  The objective is to bring in the best people who can help the program and bring with them skills and experience for the work, either from CAP or their professional career.

BillB

I'm to busy researching and writing three Squadrons histories to apply, including a wartime history of one  LOL
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AdAstra

Quote from: capmaj on May 21, 2013, 12:04:00 PM

I am well. Thank you for asking. I still strongly embrace CAP's long and rich heritage, and will continue to research, collect and display.

I commend Dr. Blazick's plans, and wish him success with his efforts. It will require a large, multi-faceted effort by members across the country, and I encourage each of you to give him your support. "CAP history" is much more than the endless argument over whether or not we sank submarines, arcane discussions about old insignia, asking "Where's the footlocker?", or posting random, unrelated documents on Facebook. A well-designed history program needs to be systematic, methodical, starting at the national level and extending down to the local level.

If you haven't noticed lately, we live in an "historic" period. CAP is rapidly changing before our very eyes, and we must not neglect today's missions and today's members who are making history.
Charles Wiest

tarheel gumby

Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001