Main Menu

One Six Right

Started by ♠SARKID♠, August 10, 2008, 03:38:21 AM

♠SARKID♠

Has anybody else seen the movie One Six Right?  I just watched it and it is an Outstanding representation and presentation of general aviation today.  This would be a great movie to watch for an AE lesson.  Its full of stories and information about ga's roots and history that is the basis and foundation for what we do today.

Webpage with opening scene
http://www.terwilligerproductions.com/onesixright/

Synopsis
QuoteOne Six Right looks at the unsung hero of aviation—the local airport—through the life, history and struggle of an airport icon: Southern California's Van Nuys Airport. Through aerial sequences and stories told by passionate pilots, air traffic controllers, historians and flight enthusiasts, including well-known faces such as Sydney Pollack, Lorenzo Lamas, Paul Moyer, Hal Fishman, Desiree Horton and many others. The film uncovers the history of the airport where Amelia Earhart broke a world speed record over its runways, and where Marilyn Monroe was discovered while working in its hangars; scenes from Casablanca were filmed on the grounds.

A historical perspective of primitive airplanes from the 1920s to the state-of-the-art business jets of today frames appreciation for the significance of all general aviation airports as a critical component of the communities they serve. Located in the heart of the San Fernando Valley, VNY is today the world's busiest general aviation airport and contributes over $1 billion each year to the southern California economy.

One Six Right explores common misconceptions about general aviation airports, which are often criticized for noise pollution and viewed as exclusive playgrounds for the rich. The film creates an awareness of the threat to these community airports through staggering statistics of airports that no longer exist, and the rapid rate at which they are continuing to close: one per week in the U.S. These smaller and often forgotten airports are the foundation of the aviation industry, contributing to global commerce and the breeding ground of the pilots of tomorrow.

SarDragon

Kinda olde news, but a great flick. I agree with your assessment of its value and impact.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Climbnsink

I don't know I started rolling my eyes after too many pilots sitting next to their shiny P-51s crying about the rich developers tearing up airports.    :'( :'( :'( 

stratoflyer

Aint there a sequel or they making a sequel?
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Theres One Six Right, One Six Left (bonus features), Flying Full Circle (director's flight w/Blue Angels), and Aviation Epic is scheduled for 2010.

SKYKING607

Impressed enough to obtain both DVDs via Amazon dot com.
CAWG Career Captain

Pylon

What sort of AE lessons or activities context have units worked this video into?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."