CAP OFFICER COMMISSIONING OATH

Started by SAR-EMT1, March 24, 2007, 10:39:14 AM

Should Officers/NCOs take an oath upon commissioning and at promotions?

Yes
28 (71.8%)
No
7 (17.9%)
Maybe
4 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 39

SAR-EMT1

OK, to refocus the poll I started yesterday: Do you feel that CAP Officers/ NCOs - and Possibly Cadet Officers/NCOs-  should take an oath upon the promotion.
Would this include a certificate stating the oath with signature, a notation in ones file etc...
Ideas for such an oath are certainly welcome.

MY personal take is yes.
Sample oath: - Short form;

I -state name- do solemnly and sincerely swear or affirm to uphold the duties and expectations inherent with the grade of -state grade conferred- the obligations of my current duty station Specialty Track and to support the United States Of America, The US Air Force, The Civil Air Patrol, The State of -Give state in which unit resides- and my Community.

- LONG FORM ADDITION-
That I will lead a moral and upright life and encourage and inspire the same in all I encounter. That I will forevermore be true to the ideas of Integrity, Service, and Excellence. That I will do my utmost to better myself as an Officer/ NCO and as a Citizen. I note that as a Volunteer my Service comes at a price and as such that this promotion / commission is all the more important and highlights the level of my desire to give back to my Community State and Nation.
        SO I DO PROMISE/ SO I DO SWEAR /  SO HELP ME GOD > optional <
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

AlphaSigOU

First round of tweakage: let's call this the 'Senior Member Obligation'. One thing I've learned from being an active Mason is what constitutes an obligation and an oath. The obligation states all the standards you are expected to adhere to while a member; by adding 'So Help Me God' or a similar affirmation is the part that is the actual oath.

I solemnly and sincerely promise to uphold the duties and responsibilities according to the grade of [insert grade] in the Civil Air Patrol, and that I will support my community, state and nation with my volunteer service.

I further promise to follow the standards set forth in our Core Values: Integrity, Volunteer Service, Excellence and Respect. Integrity in all my actions, Volunteer Service to my community, Excellence in my duty performance and Respect towards others.

To this Obligation, I promise faithful obedience, under penalty of suspension or expulsion from Civil Air Patrol. So do I promise/swear/affirm/ etc...

Here's another 'keeper' from the Portal days - I don't remember who wrote this, but this Code of Conduct should spell out in specific detail what's expected of a senior member:

CIVIL AIR PATROL SENIOR MEMBER CODE OF CONDUCT

I am a member of the Civil Air Patrol. I willingly serve in a force of volunteers ready to perform public service for my community, state and nation. I know that I am a member of a professional organization with a proud tradition.

I understand that the Civil Air Patrol is the official auxiliary of the United States Air Force and that I am part of the Air Force family. This is a position of honor granted Civil Air Patrol in recognition of its record of service. I will honor that relationship and that record of service and I will strive at all times to bring credit to the Civil Air Patrol and reflect well upon the Air Force. I will make every effort to strengthen Civil Air Patrol's partnership with the Air Force and other organizations working with Civil Air Patrol. I will perform my duties in the spirit of communal service and cooperation, and treat others with respect and courtesy.

I understand that the grade structure in Civil Air Patrol is designed to reward and recognize exemplary effort and faithful service. I will honor and respect in word and deed those of higher grade for that effort and service. I also understand that Civil Air Patrol grade carries no onus of respect outside of Civil Air Patrol.

I understand that Civil Air Patrol serves an important role, through the Cadet Program, of preparing our young people for good citizenship and leadership. I recognize my responsibility to set a good example and serve as a role model for cadets, regardless of my official position or duties. If in charge of a cadet program or activity, I will actively protect the cadets in my care from harm, intimidation, or abuse.

I understand that I am obligated to obey the orders of anyone in a position of authority or command to which I am subordinate when those orders do not cause illegal acts, are not morally repugnant to me, do not violate Civil Air Patrol rules and regulations and will not endanger lives or property. I do understand that the decision to endanger my life or property in the pursuit of Civil Air Patrol's missions is mine alone and that I can at any time decline such orders.

I understand that I am a member of Civil Air Patrol twenty-four hours a day and that this membership obligates me to adhere to Civil Air Patrol rules and regulations at all times. I do know that being available during time of need is of prime importance for Civil Air Patrol and for myself as a Civil Air Patrol member. However, as my service is voluntary, I can not be ordered to perform Civil Air Patrol duties except when I am willing, and physically and mentally ready to do so.

I know that membership is a privilege and that privilege can be removed at any time for violations of this Code of Conduct, my Oath of Membership, Civil Air Patrol rules and regulations or for any other reason that the leadership of Civil Air Patrol may decide is appropriate. I understand that I have a right to due process in all administrative proceedings and I will endeavor to work within that process should it become necessary.

I will strive to uphold this Code of Conduct and to present the best possible image of myself and the Civil Air Patrol. Above all my goal will be to uphold our proud traditions and to perform the missions that make the Civil Air Patrol valuable to America.

Some more stuff to chew on...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DrJbdm

I think the commissioning certificate and the oath of office should follow the AF oath and commissioning certificate as close as possible. Yes, there will be a few differences but it shouldn't be radically different.

I also think the commission should bear the signatures of the National Commander and possibly the Sec AF or maybe even the CC of AETC.

All Officers upon being commissioned would recite the oath and receive the commission. Promotions would be handled the same way.... just follow what the AF does.

Monty

I appreciate folks' zeal and zest in all things to make us as close to Air Force as possible.

NO OFFENSE INTENDED by the notation, but as a fact....most of the "well, we COULD be better by xxxxxx" comments are coming from new members, young members, and/or folks that may (!) not have had as fulfilling an armed forces career as they might have wished (no, all these don't always coincide.)

I've run the USAF gamut....know how it is and how it all works.  May I offer, however, that all these ideas may be treating a CAP symptom (or two) and not a CAP problem (or two.)

I still speak to many of my former blue-suiter comrades.  You'd be surprised what they say behind closed doors about all these things we see written.  We can make 5-star generals in CAP and offer hee-haw certificates/oaths/license plate rank devices/everything until the cows come home....and you know what?

All of it....ALL of it....in my opinion, is not addressing the issue (and I don't believe the issue can be addressed.)

The issue, when it all comes out in the wash, is that we are *not* officers of the armed forces and thus, we are not entitled to the same affordances as they might (I know...folks' hackles are going to be coming for me shortly....which is okay.)

When we deploy away from loved ones and miss our children's first steps (I did), first words (I did), have to subsist on pay that may not be comparable to the outside world (I did, at first), and when we hold ourselves accountable for professional conduct (vs. some of the nastiness I've seen spatted at members here)....only THEN will we:

-----(a) have credibility in the eyes of the blue suiters folks we wish to emulate
-----(b) will receive the "adulation" for the good works we could do (and in some cases, already do)
-----(c) won't have to contend with some folks' inferiority complexes

You will be hard-pressed to find Air Force officers publicly admit this....but privately?  Come on, guys...

There's NOTHING WRONG with some folks' desire for ego-stroking....let's just admit that is what it is.  Some folks need that concept of "dang it, I'm somebody" stroked for whatever reason....fine....let's just call a spade a spade.

I'm PERFECTLY content to be known as a CAP volunteer.  I don't need to flash my rank for others to see my quality....I don't need the Air Force to buck up and love me in order to make me feel good about what I do.  I MIGHT (!) have when I was younger....newer....and craving some of what I thought CAP was really about.

Not so today.

Now listen, y'all...I'm not going to mock you and get into tissies like I see some folks do (I commented on such things yesterday.)  Hate me for my position or learn from it; it makes no difference to me personally.  All the same....recognize that more folks that you want to be like are laughing at the hilarity of some of these things, just as one might snicker at 1st Graders wearing caps and gowns and getting "I graduated 1st Grade" diplomas when they move on to 2d Grade.

NO we aren't first graders...but the differences and abilities of 1st Graders to High School seniors is about as vast as what a CAP Major can/will/should/should not do and a USAF Major can/will/should/should not do.

Happy to be what I am, oath or not, metal rank or not, air medal or not, prestige or not,
-Monty

Eclipse

We are not commissioned, and I don't think that is going to change anytime soon.

Our relationship with CAP, and commitments based on that, is a civil legal contract / partnership.
Corporate employees do not raise their hands and swear an oath when they accept a job. They sign
contracts, NDA's, and quality of service agreements, which we do today.

Employment contract = CAPF12
NDA = OPSEC
QOS = 101 Card

Our membership application already contains an oath that everyone agrees to as a member, and if you pulled the administrivia out of it, you are left with:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that:
I understand membership in Civil Air Patrol is a privilege, not a right.

I voluntarily subscribe to the objectives and purposes of Civil Air Patrol and agree to be guided by the CAP constitution and Bylaws and comply with CAP rules and regulations as from time to time may be amended or promulgated.

I agree to abide by the decisions of those in authority of Civil Air Patrol.

The last line, especially would seem to be the most important, from which all other "good" will flow.

And as an aside, if you really believe this would make a darn bit of difference, I need only point to Congress, the President, police, fire, and all members of any branch of the RealMilitary®.  All of whom swear oaths, and that doesn't seem to make a bit of difference when the cookie jar is left unguarded.

The only way to get people to step up on an "oath level", are consequences when they fail, and that will never happen in CAP (beyond the  extremely low probabilities of a 2b or civil liability during ES).

Today, the oath is:

I hereby promise to send in $65 a year (if I remember), and show up once in a while if I feel like it.
You got a problem w/ 'dat?

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

I think one of CAP's biggest problems is that we try to me to much like the military.  CAP is not the military.  We already have issues with Seniors thinking they are military officers.  The military way of life cannot be compared in anyway to being a CAP member.   We start tweeking our oaths to match those of military officers, I think we are going to generate even more friction.

CAP is a VOLUNTEER organization that I have to PAY to be a part of.  I enjoy it, I enjoy wearing my blues, I enjoy the teamwork, I enjoy the military feel, and I enjoy continuing to perform a duty above and beyond the average citizen.  I get a real kick out of flying!  But that is who we are, thats why e volunteer.  Lets concentrate on being CAP not how we can be more like the military. 

CAP has no military requirement.  We will never come close to being "military".  Look at how CAP operates.  We truly are a civilian corporation with a CEO and a Board.  I don't know the stats, but how many CAP members were never in the military?  So unless we have some sort of OCS and a requirement that all members must be prior military, we are a civilian organization plain and simple.  People get all uptight about "No were the Official USAF Aux."  Ok, which means we are civilians.   We don't get deployed, we don't leave our families wondering if we'll come back or not.  Or wondering if our wives, husbands or girlfriends will survive us being gone for 6-9  months or more.  I don't know if you've ever been deployed but one of the worst things Ive seen in peacetime aside from a training death ( I was never in combat) is a Marine getting divorce papers in the mail while your on ship.  Wow! 

Saying things like "my volunteer service comes at a price....."  You know, your hearts in the right place. I do respect that.  The very act of volunteering in our high paced lives is a sacrifice.  I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I can barely make it to meetings with my schedule!  This may not sound cool, but here it goes...... my service comes until my wife says its time to come home or until I leave because I have to be at work in the morning.

flyguy06

I would disagree with you on this one Robert. CAP is sort of the military. I will admit that I am in CAP because it is military like. If CAP were just a ES organization, I probably would not be a member. I had always wanted to be a military pilot growing up. I couldnt due to my vision. So, for me, CAP is the closet I will ever get to being a miitary pilot. And really, if you look at CAP's history, thats why a lot of people joined CAP in 1941. They wanted to be in the military but couldnt for various reason so CAP was their way of substituting that.

The problem is that lately, more non military people have been taking over leadership positions in CAP and CAP is getting away from that military relationship and type of mission. We are turning more into a law enforcement/ EMS organization.

Back when I was a cadet in the 80's we had a strong relationship with the USAF. We looked more like the USAF, our regs closely mimiced the USAF. Something happened and I dont know what but this is a very different CAP then it was 15 years ago.

The major evens back then were Air Force Familarization courses, Flight Encampments and every now and then the cadet of the year would get a discovery flight in an F-16and  Helping cadets get into the Air Force Academy. Nowadays the big things are Hawk Mountain and NIMS and ICS. The focus has changed.

We are a military orgabization just like the Coast Guard Auxillary is a military organization. Hopefully we will get military leaders like BG Anderson backin our leadership realms

Flying Pig

Its para-military in the same way law enforcement is para-military. But it isnt the military.  Im going to have to weigh on my 8 years as a grunt for that view.  I would agree with you though in the respect the CAP from the time I was a cadet, 1987-1993, seemed to be more military career oriented.  When I got back into it a bout 6 months ago after a 3 year absence, I was surprised at how SAR, Law Enforcement oriented CAP had become with CD and ES. 
Its interesting  how the focus of the cadet program is directly affected by the interests of the Seniors.

Ill have to research BGen Anderson.  I was out of the loop for a while.  Was he  a Natl Comm?

mikeylikey1

Quote from: msmjr2003 on March 24, 2007, 03:05:44 PM
I appreciate folks' zeal and zest in all things to make us as close to Air Force as possible.

NO OFFENSE INTENDED by the notation, but as a fact....most of the "well, we COULD be better by xxxxxx" comments are coming from new members, young members, and/or folks that may (!) not have had as fulfilling an armed forces career as they might have wished (no, all these don't always coincide.)

I've run the USAF gamut....know how it is and how it all works.  May I offer, however, that all these ideas may be treating a CAP symptom (or two) and not a CAP problem (or two.)

I still speak to many of my former blue-suiter comrades.  You'd be surprised what they say behind closed doors about all these things we see written.  We can make 5-star generals in CAP and offer hee-haw certificates/oaths/license plate rank devices/everything until the cows come home....and you know what?

All of it....ALL of it....in my opinion, is not addressing the issue (and I don't believe the issue can be addressed.)

The issue, when it all comes out in the wash, is that we are *not* officers of the armed forces and thus, we are not entitled to the same affordances as they might (I know...folks' hackles are going to be coming for me shortly....which is okay.)

When we deploy away from loved ones and miss our children's first steps (I did), first words (I did), have to subsist on pay that may not be comparable to the outside world (I did, at first), and when we hold ourselves accountable for professional conduct (vs. some of the nastiness I've seen spatted at members here)....only THEN will we:

-----(a) have credibility in the eyes of the blue suiters folks we wish to emulate
-----(b) will receive the "adulation" for the good works we could do (and in some cases, already do)

You will be hard-pressed to find Air Force officers publicly admit this....but privately?  Come on, guys...

There's NOTHING WRONG with some folks' desire for ego-stroking....let's just admit that is what it is.  Some folks need that concept of "dang it, I'm somebody" stroked for whatever reason....fine....let's just call a spade a spade.

I'm PERFECTLY content to be known as a CAP volunteer.  I don't need to flash my rank for others to see my quality....I don't need the Air Force to buck up and love me in order to make me feel good about what I do.  I MIGHT (!) have when I was younger....newer....and craving some of what I thought CAP was really about.

Not so today.

Now listen, y'all...I'm not going to mock you and get into tissies like I see some folks do (I commented on such things yesterday.)  Hate me for my position or learn from it; it makes no difference to me personally.  All the same....recognize that more folks that you want to be like are laughing at the hilarity of some of these things, just as one might snicker at 1st Graders wearing caps and gowns and getting "I graduated 1st Grade" diplomas when they move on to 2d Grade.

NO we aren't first graders...but the differences and abilities of 1st Graders to High School seniors is about as vast as what a CAP Major can/will/should/should not do and a USAF Major can/will/should/should not do.

Happy to be what I am, oath or not, metal rank or not, air medal or not, prestige or not,
-Monty

Offense taken!  So sorry you had to deploy in the AF.  The majority of AF members DON'T!  There are those of us who would have given anything to be a member of the Armed Services, but due to whatever reason they could not.  You were lucky and got your chance, don't rag on those that honestly believe that they can make a difference in their community by serving in the CAP.  Why don't you go back and talk things over with your blue suited friends some more.  I am sure they are jerks just like you!

FARRIER

Quote from: mikeylikey1 on March 25, 2007, 01:29:52 AM
Quote from: msmjr2003 on March 24, 2007, 03:05:44 PM

Not so today.

-Monty

Offense taken!  So sorry you had to deploy in the AF.  The majority of AF members DON'T!  There are those of us who would have given anything to be a member of the Armed Services, but due to whatever reason they could not.  You were lucky and got your chance, don't rag on those that honestly believe that they can make a difference in their community by serving in the CAP.  Why don't you go back and talk things over with your blue suited friends some more.  I am sure they are jerks just like you!

"...it's not about rank, it's not about salutes, and it's not about oaths.  Oaths are words...actions are legend.  Are they not?"

An example of actions below

(http://www.cap.gov/visitors/news/cap_news_online/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=2883&year=2007&month=3)
N. Carolina Wing assists in successful search for missing scout
3 CAP aircraft transport dog teams to search site

I thought that is why we all joined CAP.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

DeputyDog

Quote from: mikeylikey1 on March 25, 2007, 01:29:52 AM

The problem with these forums is that you are not talking to another person face to face. I've talked with Monty face to face and believe me, he is far from being like a jerk. In fact, the man is quite humble. He was telling about his perspective of how he sees the problem.

Actions are legend. What did you just do by calling him a jerk? Is that going to look good when some Air Force officer reads what you wrote?

MIKE

Mike Johnston