ICS 214 Template

Started by Tubacap, June 14, 2009, 01:22:01 PM

Tubacap

A call to the computer masses... does anyone have an ICS 214 that can be used as a running log?  What I am looking for is a form that does not have so many spots for personnel, but has the activity log that can expand every time that you press enter for a new entry.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

arajca

IIRC, there's a program available - for free - that lets you do that (as part of the total ICS forms package). I think the EPA or DoE has it available. When you want a hard copy, just print it and the program automatically puts the log onto the correct forms.

Robborsari

IMU keeps a log for all the major duty positions and a whole lot more. 

There is a powerpoint at www.nmcap.org/labs/IT05%20IMU.ppt
(I just googled it)  that has some good information about it.
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

N Harmon

I took the FEMA ICS 214 and created extra rows for activity, and added rows to the back. Also, I adapted the same ICS 214 to Microsoft Excel.

You are welcome to use these as-is or make changes to get out what you need (files attached).
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Larry Mangum

You might want to drop a line to John Desmarais at NHQ, before using modified forms. NHQ has been pretty insistent that we use the forms as they have provided them.. I know that flies counter to what NIMS teaches about the forms being modifed to fit the need of the agency; incidently, I think the push back came from the AF.  You can email him at JDESMARAIS@capnhq.gov.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Short Field

If NHQ decides to modify a form, then it fits into what NIMS teaches - the agency (CAP) modified the form to fit their needs.  However, for local units to use modified forms is a different situation.

Send the forms to NHQ.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

ol'fido

The ICS forms can be had from the FEMA RESOURCE CENTER in pdf or Word. Download the Word version and modify as necessary. We used these to run an encampment. About modifying the forms: Don't change the format. Make it still recognizable as the ICS form. But CAP doesn't use a lot of bulldozers, type ll fire engines, or ambulances so minor alterations should be fine for non-ES uses.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

N Harmon

Quote from: Who_knows? on September 15, 2009, 10:20:40 PMNHQ has been pretty insistent that we use the forms as they have provided them.

NHQ doesn't provide us ICS forms. Instead they just link to FEMA. And the knowledgebase links to three different sources for ICS forms, each with different ICS 214s.

QuoteYou can email him at JDESMARAIS@capnhq.gov

I'm not comfortable emailing someone at NHQ over so an issue like this. It seems like bypassing the chain of command. I'm not an IC, so I really don't know if using modified ICS forms is proper. It never even entered my mind. I have never had anybody tell me it was improper at a mission but next time I will ask.  Thanks for the heads up.

Short Field

Just FYI - one of the main goals of NIMS was to get everyone working on the same sheet of paper so that as the information flows upward on a big incident, the HHQ is not inudated in a multitude of locally generated forms that may or may not, somewhere, maybe, have the information the HHQ needs to manage the incident.

I have seen some great locally generated forms used in the past.   However, part of the training now is to learn how to use and read the ICS forms.  PITA but there it is.
Wilson #2640

SarMaster

We all better get used to using the paper forms...both ICS and CAP....

National is going to do away with IMU....so we go back in time 10 years....

Hope theres losts of pens and pencils.....
Semper Gumby!

davidsinn

Quote from: SarMaster on September 17, 2009, 07:01:36 PM
We all better get used to using the paper forms...both ICS and CAP....

National is going to do away with IMU....so we go back in time 10 years....

Hope theres losts of pens and pencils.....

Source please?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarMaster

A very senior person at national
Semper Gumby!

notaNCO forever

RedFox24

Quote from: Short Field on September 17, 2009, 04:25:54 PM
Just FYI - one of the main goals of NIMS was to get everyone working on the same sheet of paper so that as the information flows upward on a big incident, the HHQ is not inudated in a multitude of locally generated forms that may or may not, somewhere, maybe, have the information the HHQ needs to manage the incident.

I have seen some great locally generated forms used in the past.   However, part of the training now is to learn how to use and read the ICS forms.  PITA but there it is.

I like how everyone one says that NIMS is to get everyone working off the same sheet of paper, using the same forms etc, true but in the ICS 300 they specificaly said time and time again, modify the forms, dont change the format for local use.  Olefido is right in his comments. 
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

RiverAux

Almost none of the "ICS forms" work well for CAP, in my opinion.  Really don't see much advantage to us using them since even on multi-agency missions we're generally off doing our own thing.  No one but us sees our mission paperwork, so what is the advantage to using a generic ICS sign-in sheet vs a CAP sheet that asks the info we need? 

We should just be training our folks to an "awareness" level on these forms and leave it at that. 

Short Field

I defer to your knowledge on this.  Feel free to modifiy all the forms.    ;D
Wilson #2640

Nick

Quote from: RiverAux on September 18, 2009, 02:13:58 AM
Almost none of the "ICS forms" work well for CAP, in my opinion.  Really don't see much advantage to us using them since even on multi-agency missions we're generally off doing our own thing.  No one but us sees our mission paperwork, so what is the advantage to using a generic ICS sign-in sheet vs a CAP sheet that asks the info we need? 

We should just be training our folks to an "awareness" level on these forms and leave it at that.

This is very true, considering we (CAP) always maintains control of its assets in a multi-agency incident vs. certain types of agencies (such as fire) that rent out their assets, who would check-in at an incident with the controlling agency.

However, having said that, there is no reason to modify ICS 214.  It is as generic as generic can get.  Use it as it's intended.  There are some forms out there that I could possibly understand a little bit of snipping and pasting, but they are very far and few between.  The idea behind the ICS forms (now, I'm talking the FEMA (http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/ICSResource/ICSResCntr_Forms.htm) forms ... not the custom fire service or NOAA HAZMAT spill forms) is that they be universally applied without regard to the type of resource or incident.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

RiverAux

QuoteHowever, having said that, there is no reason to modify ICS 214.  It is as generic as generic can get.
Well, if you want to actually stay on topic  ;D , I do agree that the 214 is one of the ICS forms that does work for us.

N Harmon

Nick

Not at all -- I have that same book.  They're great for individual unit leader's notes during the mission, particularly with the water-repellent paper and what not.  I just wouldn't try turning them in as an official record -- I would transcribe them over to an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet for permanent record.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

sdcapmx

Here is the official word from CAP NHQ.  We were told after an Evaluated SAR by the CAP USAF inspectors that we should modify the forms to meet our needs just as we learned in ICS 300 class.  I then contacted NHQ and here is the answer:

"CAP NHQ is
also working with the appropriate program managers at DHS/FEMA to review and
revise the ICS forms, but as you can well understand with the sheer volume
of inputs and users they have that can take time as they are required by law
to go through certain formal public processes to do so.  We are hopeful that
we will be able to impact these efforts positively though.  To avoid
interoperability problems we do not intend to allow multiple versions that
units at varied levels develop for local standard use."

FEMA forms are the only CAP authorized ICS forms as linked to on the CAP NHQ website.

It would be nice if CAP USAF got on the same page as CAP NHQ on issues such as this.