SQTR Worksheet

Started by Tubacap, April 19, 2009, 11:47:49 AM

Tubacap

Just seeing how any other wings out there require hard signatures on the original SQTRs and not the SQTR Worksheets that are printable through eServices.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

JoeTomasone

Florida Wing not only requires them, but requires that Groups both review them and archive them.

Tubacap

Same here, which I agree with... Point in asking the question is to see if it would make sense for NHQ IT to have the SQTR worksheet mimic the actual SQTRs so that the signature blocks print out.
NER-PA-001

Eeyore

It would make a whole lot of sense, both Wings I've been a member in require the hard signature.

RADIOMAN015

Isn't the whole purpose of CAP computerization data base efforts to reduce the amount of paperwork & also postage costs associated with administering various programs???  

It would seem to be that IF we have qualified personnel at the unit level or in an area of squadrons (for training than separate evaluation/certification purposes), that appropriate certification should be taken as is.  During Staff Assistant Visits or IG SUI's IF it is found that compliance is lacking in appropriate paperwork (OR there some other evidence that arises during practice missions or actual SAR's), than that specific unit should be carefully monitored.

I still remained puzzled why some groups/wings are so set on clinging to old methods.  You either trust your units or not. >:(    There's enough problems with getting senior members motivated/interested in ES ground teams (UDF & Ground) as it is without adding more administrative requirements that can easily be monitored by other "active" methods. :(
RM

wuzafuzz

Colorado Wing requires us to keep records with hard signatures.  The member maintains them, in case a question ever arises.  Some squadrons may take the record keeping a step farther.  I've never been asked to actually present my signed and dated SQTR, but I keep them in case there is ever a question about my qualifications.

I suspect there may be two reasons for keeping records with physical signatures:
1.  Some people are not computer literate, hate using computers, or don't trust the technology.
2.  The potential exists for members to falsify SQTR entries online.  After all, if I enter John Doe's CAP ID on my SQTR, Mr. Doe is never asked to confirm the entry. 

I'm not aware of specific instances of fraudulent SQTR entries.  However, our current system leaves room for abuse.  If we go the extra mile with record keeping we can remove any reasonable doubt.

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

RiverAux

What we need is for the person whose ID number is used on a SQTR to have to verify it before it becomes official.  The mechanisms to do this are already in place in e-services and it would just require some additional modifications to be made.  That would let you have a totally electronic and mostly trustworthy system. 

RogueLeader

NCWG verifies the hard copy, then sends it back to the unit to be placed in the members file.

Trust, but verify.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SJFedor

When I first came to TNWG, they used to just run with whatever you plugged into MIMS, which ended up being rather problematic, because if the system hiccuped, you lost everything. I, via my Gp/CC's delegated authority, started requiring the hard copy SQTRs to be kept on file. As well, when quals were being submitted, we had the member (or their commander) scan and email a copy of the SQTR and any supporting documentation that had to go with it, and send it to a validation email account, which distributed to those who do the approving at Group level. We do a quick once over to make sure everything is good, and poof, blessed. We then send an email to our Wing DOS and let him know it's been reviewed and is good to go, and he approves it.

My goal is to get the qual approved and off my desk within 24 hours, usually, it's gone through the entire chain in that time and is active.

And i've found that it's really a good thing, because we've found a few oops'es since we started doing this. Usually it's just confusion or misunderstanding, so we work with the member and get the stuff moving as quickly as possible. Helps make sure everything is in order.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SJFedor

Quote from: Tubacap on April 19, 2009, 11:47:49 AM
Just seeing how any other wings out there require hard signatures on the original SQTRs and not the SQTR Worksheets that are printable through eServices.

But, I have to ask. Is PAWG still an absolute PITA to get anything approved? I remember my MRO sat there for a year and a half with no action, for no good reason.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

PWK-GT

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 19, 2009, 03:40:49 PM
NCWG verifies the hard copy, then sends it back to the unit to be placed in the members file.

Trust, but verify.

Amen, brother.  :clap:

Just because you come to me with an approval pending in the system, doesn't mean I blindly click it out for you. Barring a signed SQTR --and sometimes even with one-- I'm gonna ping the person who signed you off. If that person is not from my local Group (and thus not in my email / cell contacts), you can bet I'm gonna wait until after our chat to click you out.

And I've encouraged the other folks in the unit with the 'golden pen' to do likewise. I have found that when it becomes known that nothing is pencil-whipped or blindly signed-off, the word gets out. And that is one heck of a deterrent for shenanigans.

Trust, but verify...indeed. ;)
"Is it Friday yet"

jimmydeanno

I agree with RiverAux that the remedy to the situation is having the person you put in the box as the trainer be on the approval route. 

Trust but verify is an oxymoron.  You either believe that someone is operating with integrity or you don't. 

Right now, as someone who signs people off, I do a preemptive e-mail to the out of squadron commander saying that "I signed off on the following qualifications on such and such a date for the following individuals."  Saves the bureaucracy 'requirement' for people to carry around hand written SQTRs for qualifications they already have signed off...

Next thing you know we'll be asking members to send video tapes of themselves doing all their Curry Achievement stuff to the encampment commander to prove that they actually did it... ::)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Al Sayre

We are a small wing, so it's pretty easy to know who is and isn't qualified to sign SQTRs.  It's simple enough to pick up a phone and verify if LtCol smith signed off C/SSgt Jones at the last SAREx.  If you submit a SQTR via "paperwork"you need to produce the paperwork or it gets kicked back.  If it's submitted via MIMS, someone makes a phone call or two before you get approved.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Tubacap

Personal opinion aside, I just emailed back and forth with NHQ IT and apparently the discrepency between the printable worksheet and the actual SQTRs will be rectified in the next release of the OPS Quals module.

I am very pleased with how well these folks are taking suggestions and giving timelines for completion of tasks.  They deserve a big thanks from the membership as they are very timely in responding to suggestions.
NER-PA-001