CAP Ground Ops Field Operations Guide

Started by Tubacap, February 05, 2008, 10:02:00 PM

Tubacap

Okay, now that we have a new "Tools of the Trade" Forum, I'm not sure where this would go... I'll put it in ES, but mods, I won't be offended in the slightest if you move it anywhere you like.

Does anyone have a Field Operations Guide for CAP Ground Operations?  I konw of a myriad of resources for the ICS, but I am looking for is a FOG for your typical GTMx to take out in the woods to reference things like natural hazards, whistle signals, and things on a tactical level. 

If no one has anything, what are some topics that you think would be useful?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Dragoon

The closest equivalent is the GT/UDF task guide.  It contains the info you want and fits in a cargo pocket.

http://www.cap.gov/documents/u_052704140516.pdf

Tubacap

Too big, I'm looking for something that is probably going to be under 100 pages and contains extremely useful information without any of the eval stuff.  If there is nothing out there, I would be happy to start the project (although it may take me a large chunck of time due to extremely limited extra time right now).
NER-PA-001

mamadinos

How about the Ground & Urban DF reference text? http://www.cap.gov/documents/u_7102905590858541879.pdf.  This is what the NGSAR folks hand out.  It is 150 pages but it can be shrunk to a fairly small booklet and kept in a ziploc bag in your 24-hour pack.
Michelle King, 1Lt, CAP
DCS, DO, SPO, ESO
Barksdale Comp. Sq.
SWR-LA 005

Tubacap

^Does anyone have any experience with this FOG?  It seems like it may be the item I'm looking for.
NER-PA-001

brasda91

Quote from: Tubacap on February 05, 2008, 10:15:29 PM
Too big, I'm looking for something that is probably going to be under 100 pages and contains extremely useful information without any of the eval stuff.  If there is nothing out there, I would be happy to start the project (although it may take me a large chunck of time due to extremely limited extra time right now).

Keep in mind, the Ground and UDF Task Guide and the Reference Text are the standard publications for use in CAP.  These are used nationally so no matter where you go in CAP, everyone has been taught the same technique.  For you to use a different book/s you may be learning/teaching different techniques.  Besides, if you don't follow the task guide, you can't really sign off on any ES training.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

RiverAux

The task guide isn't all that much trouble to carry in the field.  It has plenty of useful information.  If you wanted to print and trim the edges off one yourself you could probably reduce the number of pages a bit by cutting out those that just had evaluation stuff, but that doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

By the way, are they still selling pre-bound task guides and reference texts at Vanguard or are we expected to print them off ourselves?

notaNCO forever

Quote from: RiverAux on February 07, 2008, 08:43:57 PM
By the way, are they still selling pre-bound task guides and reference texts at Vanguard or are we expected to print them off ourselves?
I'm allmost certain they still sell them I Will have to look though.

davedove

They still show them on Vanguard's website.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

notaNCO forever

Quote from: davedove on February 07, 2008, 08:46:32 PM

I just looked and couldn't find them.

davedove

Quote from: NCO forever on February 07, 2008, 08:51:33 PM

In the Civil Air Patrol section, under Books and Training, Task guides and Log books.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

notaNCO forever

Quote from: davedove on February 07, 2008, 09:02:32 PM
Quote from: NCO forever on February 07, 2008, 08:51:33 PM

In the Civil Air Patrol section, under Books and Training, Task guides and Log books.
Ok thanks :)