Main Menu

Comms chatter

Started by umpirecali, January 10, 2014, 07:27:27 PM

umpirecali

I am a MRO in training status who has ICUT. In a recent SAREX I was there as a MSA and I was manning the sign-in sheet near the Comm tent.  I knew most of what was being discussed but heard some chatter over the radio I didn't readily recognize.  Granted, this was a multi-agency SAREX so this might not have been all CAP terminology, but is there a resource out there which trains these radio terms and their proper use?  I have been searching for awhile.  The ICUT basically covered the phonetic alphabet, 'roger' and 'out', but not much else.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

jmhayes

Quote from: umpirecali on January 10, 2014, 07:27:27 PMis there a resource out there which trains these radio terms and their proper use?
I would start with CAPR 100-3, Radiotelephone Operations.  But just curious: if you're an MRO-T, where are you getting your training from?  NESA runs a good class and makes their PPT available to folks who would like to run their own local classes.  Contact your nearest CUL for some tips.

umpirecali

most of my training was online in ICUT, but I was learning some from our Comms officer who has since gone inactive.  I haven't put put much time or effort into MRO since I am just now finishing MO.  Now that I have only have one task remaining for MO, I am doing research for MRO. 
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander

Brad

Agreed, CAP 100-3 is your best starting point. If you have any more specific questions though, feel free to PM me and I'll help you out.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Private Investigator

Quote from: umpirecali on January 10, 2014, 07:27:27 PMI was manning the sign-in sheet near the Comm tent.  I knew most of what was being discussed but heard some chatter over the radio I didn't readily recognize.  Granted, this was a multi-agency SAREX so this might not have been all CAP terminology, but is there a resource out there which trains these radio terms and their proper use? 

It depends on the agencies working. We was montoring the Sheriff's frequency and one of the guys asked me, "what is a 11357 find?" To make a funny long story short, basically their aircrew located a marijuana farm. Of course if you are listening to a HAM channel you might get a "QRZ" or "QYL".  8) 

ol'fido

I am a Radio Amateur, a CAP CUL, MRO, etc., and I use a radio everyday at my work. Three different radio nets and three different radio "languages". You would probably have to get specific with anything you didn't recognize for anyone to tell you what it meant. If you are talking about CAP only you would check the  100-3.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Brad

Quote from: ol'fido on January 10, 2014, 10:35:34 PM
I am a Radio Amateur, a CAP CUL, MRO, etc., and I use a radio everyday at my work. Three different radio nets and three different radio "languages".

Glad to know I'm not the only one lol! Ham radio, CAP, and HP dispatch here :P
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

jmhayes

Quote from: umpirecali on January 10, 2014, 07:49:04 PMI haven't put put much time or effort into MRO since I am just now finishing MO
IMHO it's not part of the formal task set, but if it was up to me, MRO would be a requirement for MO.  When you're in the right hand seat, you are effectively an MRO for the aircraft, providing a vital link to the base and other units.  Also I encourage MOs to spend time as an MRO at base, if only to build empathy.  At a SAREX when an MO-T is sitting around at base waiting out the morning for their flight in the afternoon, I try to plunk 'em down in the chair to listen to what a bunch of marble-mouths MOs become when they are up there :)

ol'fido

Quote from: Brad on January 10, 2014, 11:07:23 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on January 10, 2014, 10:35:34 PM
I am a Radio Amateur, a CAP CUL, MRO, etc., and I use a radio everyday at my work. Three different radio nets and three different radio "languages".

Glad to know I'm not the only one lol! Ham radio, CAP, and HP dispatch here :P
KC9RLM, Redfox 72, and Illinois Dept of Corrections.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

umpirecali

Quote from: jmhayes on January 11, 2014, 04:11:46 PM
Quote from: umpirecali on January 10, 2014, 07:49:04 PMI haven't put put much time or effort into MRO since I am just now finishing MO
IMHO it's not part of the formal task set, but if it was up to me, MRO would be a requirement for MO.  When you're in the right hand seat, you are effectively an MRO for the aircraft, providing a vital link to the base and other units.  Also I encourage MOs to spend time as an MRO at base, if only to build empathy.  At a SAREX when an MO-T is sitting around at base waiting out the morning for their flight in the afternoon, I try to plunk 'em down in the chair to listen to what a bunch of marble-mouths MOs become when they are up there :)

I agree, except for the few SAREXs I have been involved with, the air base is often at least 30 miles from the mission base and the radio setup.  So when you are waiting for your next sortie, there is nothing to listen to.

I hesitated to name specific term I didn't understand or know how to respond to, because I knew you guys would know it and tell me, but then next time out, there would be others I still didn't know. 

I read the 100-3 and had read it before.  Of the ones I remember, was a request to "secure the net", the condition of the people in conditions (I have not received any GSAR training yet and there is no GSAR training in learning to become MRO), hasty search, LKP.  I realize I could google some of these, but that wouldn't give me a good understanding of how to properly use them and the potential countless others might be out there.         
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander

arajca

Secure the net is the formal term for closing a directed net.

jmhayes

Quote from: arajca on January 13, 2014, 04:20:25 PMSecure the net is the formal term for closing a directed net.
That's certainly the use I've seen in the Amateur Service.  I've also seen (especially SAR) groups use this term to mean "I'm about to say something sensitive, if there are are people related to the subjects nearby, please move them out of earshot" ...

Many "common terms" in use on CAP radios today do not appear on anyone's list, manual, or regulation.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: arajca on January 13, 2014, 04:20:25 PM
Secure the net is the formal term for closing a directed net.

To "secure the net" might be the intention, but "CLOSE DOWN" would be the proper proword in actual use.