Where's the Fire?

Started by Turk, December 08, 2011, 07:43:51 PM

Turk

I was recently flying an FBO Cessna when I saw a plume of smoke rising. Now most of the time, this turns out to be factory smoke, chimney smoke, or a controlled burn. Not this time - it was from the trees.

I radioed the tower (the fire was inside their delta airspace). With my Garmin aviation GPS, I could easily give them a lat-long and a bearing/distance from the airport. After lots of back-and-forth discussions, they finally kindasorta figured out where the fire was, and called for a local fire response.

My takeaway from all this is that tower and approach controllers really aren't equipped to figure out which municipality corresponds to a set of coordinates. And alas, in the world of fire response, it is the municipality (or county) that really matters. Wouldn't it be great if an air crew member could look at his smartphone or ipad and report that the fire was  "east of the Route 23 and Billingsgate Road intersection in Sleepington." That would certainly beat shuffling though a big atlas of DeLorme topo charts, assuming that they were aboard in the first place.

Some smartphone and ipad GPS interfaces are internal; some are after-market products like Bad Elf. There are many software products to go with it.  There's no need for turn-by-turn directions or anything like that... just the ability to figure out where "down there" is in terms of which locality and near what road(s).

Much as I'm tempted to reinvent the wheel, I'll bet someone out in this forum has reinvented a better one. Ideas? Solutions?

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

davidsinn

Quote from: Turk on December 08, 2011, 07:43:51 PM
I was recently flying an FBO Cessna when I saw a plume of smoke rising. Now most of the time, this turns out to be factory smoke, chimney smoke, or a controlled burn. Not this time - it was from the trees.

I radioed the tower (the fire was inside their delta airspace). With my Garmin aviation GPS, I could easily give them a lat-long and a bearing/distance from the airport. After lots of back-and-forth discussions, they finally kindasorta figured out where the fire was, and called for a local fire response.

My takeaway from all this is that tower and approach controllers really aren't equipped to figure out which municipality corresponds to a set of coordinates. And alas, in the world of fire response, it is the municipality (or county) that really matters. Wouldn't it be great if an air crew member could look at his smartphone or ipad and report that the fire was  "east of the Route 23 and Billingsgate Road intersection in Sleepington." That would certainly beat shuffling though a big atlas of DeLorme topo charts, assuming that they were aboard in the first place.

Some smartphone and ipad GPS interfaces are internal; some are after-market products like Bad Elf. There are many software products to go with it.  There's no need for turn-by-turn directions or anything like that... just the ability to figure out where "down there" is in terms of which locality and near what road(s).

Much as I'm tempted to reinvent the wheel, I'll bet someone out in this forum has reinvented a better one. Ideas? Solutions?

Just give the controller the coordinates and they can google it.

Back country navigator pro allows you to install new maps and I have USGS topos on mine as well as Cell grided sectionals.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

N Harmon

Get a cheap, old, automobile sat nav, and give it to the mission scanner. He/she will know exactly what roads are down there.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

EMT-83

Figuring out that fire location shouldn't be any different than locating your ground team.

I always carry my Delorme Gazetter when flying – lat/long, topo and streets all in one.

AirDX

Quote from: davidsinn on December 08, 2011, 07:57:51 PM

Ah, no.  Controllers don't have time, and more than likely don't have a computer handy to be googling stuff.

As a controller, if someone reported a fire in the Class D to me, I'd just call 911 and give the location as best I could to the dispatcher.  As a radar controller, we'd call whatever the nearest town was and report it there.  That's about as far as it goes.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: AirDX on December 08, 2011, 08:23:34 PM

Ah, no.  Controllers don't have time, and more than likely don't have a computer handy to be googling stuff.

As a controller, if someone reported a fire in the Class D to me, I'd just call 911 and give the location as best I could to the dispatcher.  As a radar controller, we'd call whatever the nearest town was and report it there.  That's about as far as it goes.

Fine, the controller can give the coordinates to 911. Any self-respecting 911 dispatch center will have the ability to translate coordinates into a response.

EMT-83

Al Sayre

I've used Google Maps on my Ipad in the cockpit to coordinate with Fire/Rescue on the ground.  Works just fine.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Flying Pig

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 08, 2011, 09:04:04 PM
Ever been in a 911 center?

HAA...Thats what I was thinking.  Sounds like a Jerry Lewis telathon!

Turk

Quote from: Al Sayre on December 08, 2011, 10:05:50 PM
I've used Google Maps on my Ipad in the cockpit to coordinate with Fire/Rescue on the ground.  Works just fine.

Aha, here's someone who's done this in action! Okay; just so I'm clear, you're manually (and I'm not saying "manually" like it's a bad thing) entering the GPS coordinates of the waypoint into the Ipad? Or does your Ipad have some kind of GPS connection of its own? 

JetDriver777

Really?   so now  air traffic controllers are fire dispatchers?  THEY DONT CARE!

JetDriver777

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 08, 2011, 08:37:42 PM

Fine, the controller can give the coordinates to 911. Any self-respecting 911 dispatch center will have the ability to translate coordinates into a response.

Dispatchers have a hard time talking on the phone.... they have no clue about GPS coordinates!  most dispatch centers dont have 'internet' access to google anything!

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JetDriver777 on December 09, 2011, 12:59:20 AM

Dispatchers have a hard time talking on the phone.... they have no clue about GPS coordinates!  most dispatch centers dont have 'internet' access to google anything!

Didn't say they had to Google it... IIRC ours has a mapping program and I'd be pretty shocked if they didn't have that capability.

Al Sayre

Quote from: Turk on December 08, 2011, 10:57:56 PM

Aha, here's someone who's done this in action! Okay; just so I'm clear, you're manually (and I'm not saying "manually" like it's a bad thing) entering the GPS coordinates of the waypoint into the Ipad? Or does your Ipad have some kind of GPS connection of its own?

I have an Ipad2 that has it's own built in GPS.  Were were flying a SAR mission and needed to overfly the Fire Dept. crew so they could direct us where they wanted us to look.  They couldn't give us GPS coordinates, but were at the intersection of two county roads.  I pulled up google maps, centered on the blue dot that was us,  located the intersection they were talking about (about 2 miles from where we were at the time, and flew straight to them...  Piece of cake.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Turk

Quote from: Al Sayre on December 09, 2011, 05:41:09 AM

I have an Ipad2 that has it's own built in GPS.  Were were flying a SAR mission and needed to overfly the Fire Dept. crew so they could direct us where they wanted us to look.  They couldn't give us GPS coordinates, but were at the intersection of two county roads.  I pulled up google maps, centered on the blue dot that was us,  located the intersection they were talking about (about 2 miles from where we were at the time, and flew straight to them...  Piece of cake.

Very resourceful! And if I'm not mistaken, Google Maps is pre-installed on IPads, so you're not even going online (and therefore, not utilizing cellphone towers).

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Turk on December 09, 2011, 01:17:16 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on December 09, 2011, 05:41:09 AM

Very resourceful! And if I'm not mistaken, Google Maps is pre-installed on IPads, so you're not even going online (and therefore, not utilizing cellphone towers).

It is, but Apple products utilize Assisted GPS and it downloads maps on-the-fly.

wuzafuzz

When I was an airport operations guy, the tower had time (we weren't the busiest airports  ;) ).  In fact they sometimes called us with smoke reports in the nearby mountains.  (We had the county fire channel in our radios.)  We passed to county fire over the air unless we knew they were already aware.  Way faster than by phone.  In fact ATC sometimes asked for feedback about their report.  That didn't happen often, but ATC folks are curious too. 

Added note to clarify the airports weren't the busiest ones out there.  I imagine busier airports might handle differently.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Pump Scout

Quote from: N Harmon on December 08, 2011, 07:59:18 PM
Get a cheap, old, automobile sat nav, and give it to the mission scanner. He/she will know exactly what roads are down there.

I've done exactly that on several missions. My little Garmin will even give me the nearest intersection or address if I need it to, as well as lat/long. The problem is an old fashioned one on a modern platform - in order to be accurate, we'd need to fly directly over the site/target, THEN blip a reading. Otherwise we're having to give our location as determined by the GPS, then a heading and distance to the site/target.

gordo07

As a forest firefighter for a day job, its helpful to give a lat/long, most fire depts and engines have a GPS in them that can navigate to givin coordinates. otherwise a discriptive of the area, if its mountainous or near a prominant marker the responders will proobably know the location.

SAR-EMT1

HAHAHAHA... oh that's rich !

The dispatchers in my area are high school dropouts.... They can barely tell time.
As for the computer equipment, not possible.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student