NESA Mission Scanner Course Question

Started by Arrow, April 29, 2011, 02:38:05 AM

Arrow

I've signed up for the Mission Scanner (week 1) & Intermediate Mission Observer (week 2) courses for National Emergency Services Academy.

Are Familiarization and Preparatory training required BEFORE the start of the Mission Scanner course? Or will they sign off all F & P's during the course? I have all needed qualifications listed on this website: http://nesa.cap.gov/masscanner.htm, however I've heard a rumor that you need all F & P's before you attend. Anyone know the truth?

Thank you.
C/2dLt Iain Davis, CAP.

MIKE

Unless your sig is in error, you are missing a basic encampment.
Mike Johnston

Arrow

Quote from: MIKE on April 29, 2011, 03:53:48 AM

I'm guessing because of the Special Activity Ribbon? I've attended National Emergency Services Academy for the Basic Ground Search & Rescue School in 2010. NESA, I believe, is the only National Cadet Special Activity that needs no encampment prior to attending, thus why I wear the NCSA ribbon without an encampment ribbon. However, around two months from now when I do attend encampment, it shall be added to my ribbons & signature.
C/2dLt Iain Davis, CAP.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Arrow on April 29, 2011, 04:07:21 AM
Quote from: MIKE on April 29, 2011, 03:53:48 AM

I'm guessing because of the Special Activity Ribbon? I've attended National Emergency Services Academy for the Basic Ground Search & Rescue School in 2010. NESA, I believe, is the only National Cadet Special Activity that needs no encampment prior to attending, thus why I wear the NCSA ribbon without an encampment ribbon. However, around two months from now when I do attend encampment, it shall be added to my ribbons & signature.

He's right, encampment is desired but not required, which seems to be in violation of regs.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

davidsinn

Is NESA an NCSA? I was under the impression that it's a school for SM that cadets can go to. Especially since only over 18 cadets can even participate in 2 of the schools.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Arrow

Quote from: davidsinn on April 29, 2011, 02:10:20 PM
Is NESA an NCSA?

From what I've seen, yes it is an NSCA. However, the provided link it says that members who attend NESA are granted the NCSA ribbon. http://capnhq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/capnhq.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2192&p_created=1281441674 It's odd that it says in the regulations that NCSAs require encampment, when NESA doesn't. NESA isn't even added as an exception.
C/2dLt Iain Davis, CAP.

MIKE

It also doesn't mean NESA is correct, as applies to you as a cadet... where CAPR 52-16 applies.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SarDragon on April 29, 2011, 08:54:38 PM
NESA doesn't appear in this list.

Johnson Flight Academy isn't an NCSA yet it appears on that list. It doesn't seem to be authoritative on what is an NCSA and what isn't.

The 39-3 plainly lists NESA as being an NCSA for the purposes of the NCSA ribbon. Does that make it an NCSA?

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Ed Bos

NESA is not a National Cadet Special Activity.

NESA is a National Special Activity administered out of the Operations Directorate at NHQ, not out of the Cadet Programs Directorate.

CAPR 52-16 does not apply to this activity.

The confusion stems from the categorization of NESA as a NCSA for the purposes of award and wear of the ribbon in the 39-3. Perhaps someone with more info than I have can point to minutes from when the decision was made to authorize that ribbon for this activity, that may shed more light on the matter.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Mustang

Irrespective of the sponsoring directorate of NESA, CAP's intent is that cadets must complete encampment before attending national activities.  NESA's staff should honor this. 
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

FastAttack

To answer your question.. No , every single thing Prep/ Advance exercises are done at NESA.

The only thing you need to make sure is that you are on top of putting your SQTR entries in Ops Quals and make sure you have a paper copy signed off by your instructor. They tell you there is a Ops Quals Fairy that does the entries but don't rely on that.

2011-MAS Intermediate Instructor.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: FastAttack on May 08, 2011, 11:53:39 PM
To answer your question.. No , every single thing Prep/ Advance exercises are done at NESA.

The only thing you need to make sure is that you are on top of putting your SQTR entries in Ops Quals and make sure you have a paper copy signed off by your instructor. They tell you there is a Ops Quals Fairy that does the entries but don't rely on that.

Do you guys use the PDAs like NGSAR uses?

FastAttack

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 09, 2011, 01:19:09 AM
Quote from: FastAttack on May 08, 2011, 11:53:39 PM

Do you guys use the PDAs like NGSAR uses?
nope.

Ed Bos

Quote from: Mustang on May 08, 2011, 07:18:22 AM
Irrespective of the sponsoring directorate of NESA, CAP's intent is that cadets must complete encampment before attending national activities.  NESA's staff should honor this.

I understand your opinion, and disagree with it.

NESA is an Emergency Services field activity, and the regulations clearly don't require an encampment to participate in other Emergency Services activities held at different locations around the country. I believe the "intent" you speak of is a matter of conjecture.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001