In the spirit of the Rocket-Powered Ercoupe thread...

Started by JohnKachenmeister, December 15, 2006, 09:39:21 PM

JohnKachenmeister

During World War II there was ONE aircraft that was manufactured and used by both the Axis powers and the Allies.  In other words, factories on both sides of the battle line produced the same airplane, and the opposing warring powers both used it.

What was this airplane?
Another former CAP officer

freeflight

That airplane was the Brewster F2A Buffalo. 44 F2As were supplied to Finland to help the fight against Russia.  When Germany captured Finland these were used on the Axis side.  Squadron's number 24 and 26 of the Finnish Air Regiment flew these; they remained successfully operational until mid-1944.

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 15, 2006, 09:39:21 PM
During World War II there was ONE aircraft that was manufactured and used by both the Axis powers and the Allies.  In other words, factories on both sides of the battle line produced the same airplane, and the opposing warring powers both used it.

What was this airplane?

Great!!!  I like the idea of a QUESTION of the WEEK.  You should make a sort of GAME POST weekly.  The honor system be employed as to mitigate the undesired results of GOOGLE!  Remember, INTERGRITY is one of our CORE VALUES.

A good way to revitalize the AE forum.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

(Sound of loud buzzer)

Incorrect!

Yes, the Buffaloes were USED by the Axis, but they were manufactured in the US and supplied to Finland.

The question was which aircraft was MANUFACTURED and USED by both sides?

BillB

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Psicorp

I'm thinking it was the Me 109.

Germany sold the kits to build them to several nations minus engines.  Eventually British Rolls Royce engines were used in them.  Hmm...that might have been done after WWII.   My best guess though  :D
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

RocketPropelled

I'm with BillB -- I'm pretty sure the DC-3 design was licensed all over the place before the war.  It was an airliner first, so it wouldn't have been as limited as an export like a fighter or bomber.

JohnKachenmeister

(DING!)

Winner and STILL CHAMPION.... Bill B!

The C-47 Skytrain, AKA the DC-3, AKA the Dakota, AKA the Gooney Bird was licensed to be manufactured by Fokker of Holland.  Fokker never put the plane into mass production, but did produce a few for the Luftwaffe out of parts supplied by Douglas.

But the C-47 was also licensed to Mitsui Busson Industries of Japan, which DID mass-produce the aircraft, making about 300 that were used by the Japanese Air Force, mostly in China.

Both of these licenses were awarded back in the 1930's before the outbreak of hostilities.

Johnny, Tell him what he won!

You, Bill B, and a guest of your choosing will be treated to the culinary delights at the luxurious Golden Arches Supper Club! 

BillB

Come to think of it, I think the JU-52 was also used by both sides. I remember reading somewhere that it was licenses for manufacture in another country other than Germany in about 1935.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

BillB

Ooops  was wrong on the JU-52.  It WAS produced in France as the Toucan, but not until after WW II. It was also manufactured in Spain as the CASA 352. One captured version was designated by USAAF as the C-79
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104