No More 'CAP Flight'?

Started by DC, October 12, 2009, 10:18:59 PM

DC

Quote from: FL Wing KingEffective immediately,  our FAA call sign has been changed.  "CAP FLIGHT XXX" is now changed to "CAP XXX".  For flight plan filing, CPF XXX  is now CAP XXX.

Does anyone know why the FAA decided to suddenly change our call sign? If someone else is using CAP Flight it might lead to a little confusion.

RiverAux

The International Civil Aviation Organization was also involved. 

I think we talked about this possibility a few months ago.  Don't recall the details.

Thrashed

Isn't "flight" a little obvious?  What else could it be?  A car?  "CAP" is better.  Less to say and it's clear and concise.

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

"CAP" was the call for Capital Airlines which ceased operations in the early '60's. Apparently there was an issue with someone who still owned the IP of the airline and fought repeated attempts by the FAA over the years to reassign it to CAP, thus "CAP-flight".

The result was that many times "CPF" flights would be showing as "CAP" flights due to miscommunication when the flight plans, etc., were filed.

Apparently this has been worked out, which is a good thing for clarity, but is going to be the reverse problem for a while as our pilots shake out the old and remember the "new".

We'll also need about 550 new dash plates...

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

the new dash plates shouldn't be a problem: CAP stands in some quarters for Come and Pay.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

sdcapmx

I read the letter from the FAA to CAP NTC which states that the call sign change was requested by CAP.  There are still some items that are being looked into that have been questioned by CAP members in the field.  I am sure more to follow shortly.

Eclipse

Quote from: sdcapmx on October 12, 2009, 11:01:32 PM
I read the letter from the FAA to CAP NTC which states that the call sign change was requested by CAP.
Yes, CAP has been trying to get those letters for years.

Quote from: sdcapmx on October 12, 2009, 11:01:32 PM
There are still some items that are being looked into that have been questioned by CAP members in the field.

Such as?  Nothing is more fun than random veiled comments which insinuate some dark action with no actual substance...   ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I suppose CAP is somewhat better than CAPF.  I would have put it pretty low on my priority list of things to change though.

Probably better that we have CAP than someone else.  Will take a while to get used to.

a2capt

CAP also means .. "Changes Are Painful" ..

I have a laser cutter, I can make dash panels. ;-)

desertengineer1

Something bugged me last night when I saw the letter, but couldn't narrow it down.  Finally hit me this morning.

I was in VT-10 at NAS Pensacola in 1998.  The squadron uses callsign "KATT" followed by the flight number, just like CAP (only they used three digits).

If the callsign hasn't changed, SER is going to have an interesting time with center and clearance delivery.

"Did you say Cap or Cat?"

:)

CAPPAO

"CAP" means Combat Air Patrol in the USAF...

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPPAO on October 13, 2009, 12:51:11 AM

Yes, when its pronounced "KAP".

Which begs the question, is the call sign "CAP", or "SEE-AY-P"?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

According to the email I got it is pronounced as in
"put on your cap"

Nolan Teel

Wait, did I miss something?  Our call signs are changing?  To what? Why?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Nolan Teel

duh... sorry been out on the road for 3 days, tired.  I missed it at the top.  Thanks :)

PHall

And it's never, ever used as a call sign. Opsec you know...

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2009, 12:56:40 AM

Yes, when its pronounced "KAP".

Which begs the question, is the call sign "CAP", or "SEE-AY-P"?
Probably the former, as the latter would come out 'charlie alpha papa', which is a little cumbersome, IMHO...

EMT-83

It appears that the announcement on the call sign change was premature. It has not yet been updated in the FAA database.

heliodoc

Maybe FAA and ICAO want clear text

In all honesty, SEE A P is not so hard....just as easy as "CAP flight"

Why not,  before you know it, it will be required before DHS / HLS missions get more serious

SO what is so tough about it??  (if it goes into effect)