Main Menu

Safety Down Day

Started by Dutchboy, December 12, 2007, 06:53:42 AM

Dutchboy

I was wondering if any one has powerpoints for any of the mandated safety briefings for the month of December that came from NHQ. I am looking for specific content that is used in the briefings. For some reason my Squadron CC is requiring he review the briefings before they are given. No Idea why.  Also let me know how long you spent on the briefings.

Eclipse

All I've seen is the letter from the iCC indicating what should be covered, nothing more specific than that.

"That Others May Zoom"

ammotrucker

I just think it sad that my squadron has chosen DEC 25 as the down day.  This is a day that would never have been used for any function in the squadron anyways.

I believe that it should have been a day that you would actually have done some functions.
RG Little, Capt

Trung Si Ma

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Psicorp

Quote from: ammotrucker on December 12, 2007, 07:11:59 PM
I just think it sad that my squadron has chosen DEC 25 as the down day.  This is a day that would never have been used for any function in the squadron anyways.

I believe that it should have been a day that you would actually have done some functions.

Unless all ya'll are planning on getting together on the 25th to have a safety briefing, someone missed the point of it.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Eclipse

Quote from: Psicorp on December 12, 2007, 07:25:29 PM
Quote from: ammotrucker on December 12, 2007, 07:11:59 PM

Unless all ya'll are planning on getting together on the 25th to have a safety briefing, someone missed the point of it.

Ditto, note the memo says "will", so if that's the day, there needs to be someone actually presenting briefings.

Quote from: iCC memo directing safety standdownDuring the safety down day there will be briefings to include the following:
a. Units that operate aircraft in areas with surface elevations above 3,000 ft will review
mountain flying techniques with all crewmembers. Individuals not present for the briefing will
be grounded until they make up the briefing.

b. All members will be briefed on vehicle driving techniques and use of seatbelts. Special
attention will be given to holiday traffic operations and winter season driving in those areas
adversely affected by weather.

c. All members will be briefed on holiday safety to include how to act in large crowded
areas and fire safety during cold weather to include holiday lighting, heaters and fireplaces. For
members in appropriate climates, cold weather protection and safety should be included.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dutchboy

Just Curious, how long (time wise) does everyone put into these Safety Down Day Briefings.

Psicorp

It depends on what is being required and what precipitated the Safety Day.   

In the case of this one I had a pilot discuss in very broad terms the hazards of winter on aviation (particularly that nasty frozen water stuff), I had a member who's an LEO discuss the seatbelt issue as well as winter driving.   Everything else is pretty basic stuff that everyone needs reminding of this time of year.   Total time was around 45 minutes (including a short Q&A from Cadets).    Just to be mean I suggested that unannounced fire drills at 2 AM are a great way to test your family's emergency plan  ;D

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Pylon

Quote from: messofficer on December 13, 2007, 04:13:05 AM
Just Curious, how long (time wise) does everyone put into these Safety Down Day Briefings.

Ours took pretty much the entirety of the 2-hour meeting this evening, with the aircrew breaking off at the end for the mountain flying safety reminders.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

We've scheduled ours for 26 December as our next meeting after tonight (which we've got plans for). 

Time of briefings depends on questions and the unit's familiarity with the information.  last year's parts of it I was able to get through faster because we were familiar with the information (used it on a regular basis).  This time it shouldn't be too dificult as parts of it have been covered just recently, I'm using this more of an "expansion pack" to what we've discussed.  I'm alotting about 2 hours including a 15 minute break so that I can switch presentations and get some water.  Also I can give my people a chance to stretch. 

One thing I highly recomend to whoever is going to give the briefing wheter it be the CC or SE look at the material first and if you have any changes that are pertinent to your unit go ahead and add that to the Power Point presentation.  It always helps, I had to do that to a few slides last year. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO