CAP Bookstore Catalog

Started by Stonewall, December 02, 2008, 07:17:01 PM

Stonewall

For those of you younger folks who don't know what you're missing, here is a link I found on my old squadron's website of the 2000 edition of the CAP Bookstore.

I ordered so often as a cadet I still have the toll free number memorized...800-633-8768.  As a cadet I must have ordered at least once a month.
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Those were the days!  And I thought that the Bookstore sucked!  Then we got Vanguard...

I miss the CAP Supply Depot too...

Timbo

Not to mention, they had "unadvertised" items like cases of MRE's for sale.  Anyone remember those advertised in the old CAP news. 

Bring back the Bookstore and Depot.  Those were better days.

IceNine

Random tidbit for ya.

If you do a phone or mail in order to vanguard and use the item numbers from this catalog vanguard will send you the right items.

I know wierd, but true one  of my units only does mail in orders they said they've never had a problem
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Timbo

Quote from: IceNine on December 02, 2008, 07:48:00 PM
If you do a phone or mail in order to vanguard and use the item numbers from this catalog vanguard will send you the right items.

That means......Vanguard just took the Bookstore logistical numbering system and made it their own.  That saved them some $$ on trying to create a new one. 

Duke Dillio

I loved the supply depot.  They always carried all of that stuff that you always needed.  Their prices really weren't that bad and their service was excellent.  While we may never see the bookstore again, I would really like to see the supply depot come back to life.

Eclipse

2000 - only eight years ago and not a single mention in there of email or a website.

How the world has changed.

Gotta love those light blue golf shirts (still have mine), and orange flight suits!

"That Others May Zoom"

pixelwonk

Oh dude.  I actually knew someone who had one!  (the Sunny Delight bag)
It was kind of a "Where were you when" kind of moments.

tarheel gumby

Oh boy do I remember those days :o
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

DC

I've only been around long enough to remember CAP Mart, but I really miss them. Their website sucked (though, admittedly, Vanguard's is worse..) but their prices were fair, shipping was reasonable, and their service was great, in my experience.

I hate Vanguard, and I don't care too much for the Hock..  :(

Smokey

I really miss the Supply Depot.....you could get survival stuff cheap and alot of other stuff.  I sure wish they could bring that back.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Stonewall

Depot got really good in the mid-90s when they started selling goretex jackets, modular sleeping systems and CFP-90 rucksacks. 

But I still remember the "centerfold" in CAP News in the 80s with "Ranger Field Gear" deals.  I bought so much stuff from that place.
Serving since 1987.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Stonewall on December 02, 2008, 11:58:57 PM
But I still remember the "centerfold" in CAP News in the 80s with "Ranger Field Gear" deals.  I bout so much stuff from that place.

(Laughing) I remember that!

My memory is apparently really fuzzy, but what happened to the Depot?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

bosshawk

Re: why did the Depot disappear.  I seem to remember that the official excuse was that it was too expensive to maintain.  At the same time, I was told that an inspection came up with some financial irregularities and CAP leadership(?) decided that the whole deal wasn't worth the problems.  The guy who I used to deal with at the Depot is now the guy who runs the aircraft maintenance system at National.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Smokey

One story was the Depot lost it's lease on the building they were using.

Anyone here got enough juice to try to get the powers to re-establish the Depot?
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

MIKE

I heard they were selling stuff they weren't authorized to sell. i.e. all that sweet surplus gear.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on December 03, 2008, 02:36:27 AM
I heard they were selling stuff they weren't authorized to sell. i.e. all that sweet surplus gear.

Yep, that's what I heard from the brass in my [previous] region.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Does anyone remember when Tori Steinmeier was on the cover of the Bookstore catalog?  I think it was 1997 or 98.  She had gotten her Spaatz that year.

Here she is on the left:
Serving since 1987.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Smokey on December 03, 2008, 02:23:09 AM
One story was the Depot lost it's lease on the building they were using.

Anyone here got enough juice to try to get the powers to re-establish the Depot?

I also heard that they were in the red for close to $1M dollars
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

dwb

Quote from: Stonewall on December 02, 2008, 11:58:57 PMBut I still remember the "centerfold" in CAP News in the 80s with "Ranger Field Gear" deals.  I bought so much stuff from that place.

Oh man, I had forgotten about that.  I practically drooled over all that snivel gear.

This is going to sound like a comment from the 1950s, but I used to save my paper route money so I could mail order items from the CAP Supply Depot.  That place rocked.  The rumor I heard was that financial irregularities shut them down.

I used to have a copy of the bookstore catalog that featured our Wing DO (at the time) on it.