Main Menu

AUX ON/OFF question

Started by Holding Pattern, July 03, 2019, 10:37:46 PM

xyzzy

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 06, 2019, 03:08:43 AM

I can't recall ever seeing CAP tasked with controlling traffic on public roads. More likely in parking lots for air shows or other scheduled events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be necessary to direct traffic when a van must be stopped on a road that lacks a shoulder or breakdown lane to perform any aspect of a mission, such as stopping to get a direction-finding azimuth.

Ozzy

Quote from: xyzzy on July 07, 2019, 11:58:27 AM
It may be necessary to direct traffic when a van must be stopped on a road that lacks a shoulder or breakdown lane to perform any aspect of a mission, such as stopping to get a direction-finding azimuth.

In which case you drive until you find an actual safe space to pull over as close to the point.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

xyzzy

Quote from: Ozzy on July 07, 2019, 02:28:03 PM

In which case you drive until you find an actual safe space to pull over as close to the point.

That could be miles.

Ozzy

Quote from: xyzzy on July 07, 2019, 02:45:42 PM

That could be miles.

Could be 20 feet, could be a lot of things. Still shouldn't do it.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

CAP9907

That could be miles.

Do your ORM...  does the risk of 'directing traffic' outweigh waiting until you get to a safer spot? Likely not in most cases..
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Eclipse

Flagging cars in an emergency has nothing to do with PCA.

What any particular member, unit, group, or wing has done 40 years ago,
or is going to do next week doesn't either, since in addition to times and
the organization changing their risk posture significantly, members, units, groups, and wings
do far too much stuff that is "questionable" if not outright against regs under the
guise of emergencies, because people don't like to say "no", or because
people don't ask the "second question" in case they might be told "no".

This...

...is all CAP members are allowed to do when someone challenges or breaks their security
observation line whether it's a plane crash, Air Venture, or the local Fly-In. 

And the general public is under no more obligation to listen to a CAP member then they are "Jimmy the
parking guy" if they are directing people in a parking lot.

For most people with common sense and a low BAC, the presence of a uniform or safety vests compels
their actions because common sense out weighs their stupid for the day, however in this day and age,
when police officers are being kicked out of Starbucks because they make someone feel "unsafe",
that same uniform could well be the impetus for a problem.

I'll say it again "the implication of authority where none exists" can be a dangerous situation.

Bottom line, PCA doesn't even come into play in any of these situations, and is really only a talking
point at the National level.  If someone says "we can't do 'x' locally" because of PCA, it's likely there were
4 CAP regs, or common sense that trumped PCA before even needing the discussion.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 06, 2019, 03:08:43 AM

I can't recall ever seeing CAP tasked with controlling traffic on public roads. More likely in parking lots for air shows or other scheduled events.

Note that I said I couldn't recall seeing CAP tasked with traffic control. Others seem to recall seeing and even doing it. That's between them, their local law enforcement agency and the opinion of their legal officer, I suppose. But "tasked with" implies knowledge of risks etc. amd acceptance of same. "Tasked with" and isn't the same as "happens upon."

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of CAP stopping in roadways and sending people to direct traffic around a vehicle in any circumstance short of a right there, right now, emergency. Such as rendering aid at a collision scene or similar. I don't know how getting an azimuth would fit into that. I don't know how CAP would answer some probing questions should anyone be killed or injured doing that.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

That could be miles.

Life's tough.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SarDragon

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 08, 2019, 05:13:07 AM

That could be miles.

Life's tough.

As you probably recall, CA has high places, and not-so-high places. The former are great places to get bearings, but are frequently, at the same time, not the best places to stop alongside the road. When I do this, find the most visible place at the top to stop. I have my flashers on, and also a separate red rotating beacon that I put on my roof and turn on. Also, everyone is wearing the requisite ANSI II outerwear.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAP9907

OK...

Anything else on-topic here?

Otherwise we are done.

~9907
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Holding Pattern

Quote from: CAP9907 on July 08, 2019, 05:34:06 AM
OK...

Anything else on-topic here?

Otherwise we are done.

~9907

Other than locating that GC letter, I got all I needed from this thread.

EDIT: I see it was posted and I missed it. So I got all I need here.

CAPed Crusader

I don't think I understand this topic. What do you mean by ''Aux on'' and ''Aux off?'' Are you saying we are sometimes considered USAF personnel? Can someone please break it down for me?

CAP9907

Quote from: francisderosa16 on July 14, 2019, 12:34:20 AM
I don't think I understand this topic. What do you mean by ''Aux on'' and ''Aux off?'' Are you saying we are sometimes considered USAF personnel? Can someone please break it down for me?

No, we are not as we are civilians. Take any other questions up with your chain of command.

Done.

21 yrs of service