Main Menu

I'm a double-digit midget!

Started by dwb, June 02, 2005, 01:10:50 PM

dwb

Well, last night my successor was chosen to assume command of my squadron. ;D The exact change of command date hasn't been set yet, but I expect it will be 31 August.

So, any tips to ensure a smooth transition?  My replacement is coming from a Group staff position, so he'll just be starting to attend meetings at the squadron.  However, he's been in CAP a long time, and is more than qualified for the job.

I plan to introduce him to the cadets next week (since I doubt any of them know who he is), and do the same for the seniors at a senior staff meeting later this month.

Beyond that, it will be a lot of shadowing, cc'ing him on all my E-mails about squadron bidness, and gradually allowing him to make more decisions and introduce some of his ideas.  The more seamless the actual change of command is, the better off I think we'll be.

Thoughts?

Major_Chuck

It's called 'brain dump' everything you know, know of, know about has to be passed to him. 

The smoothest way is to do just as you mentioned.  Brief him, keep him in the loop, consult him on decisions (since he will be the one to deal with them when you're gone), let him formulate his own opinions of people.

You have to transition your command as well.  People need to get used to who he is and what his style is going to be like.  There is nothing like system shock to cripple a unit why they try to figure out the new CO.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Yoda

Quote from: justin_bailey on June 02, 2005, 01:10:50 PM
Well, last night my successor was chosen to assume command of my squadron. ;D The exact change of command date hasn't been set yet, but I expect it will be 31 August.

So, any tips to ensure a smooth transition?  My replacement is coming from a Group staff position, so he'll just be starting to attend meetings at the squadron.  However, he's been in CAP a long time, and is more than qualified for the job.

I plan to introduce him to the cadets next week (since I doubt any of them know who he is), and do the same for the seniors at a senior staff meeting later this month.

Beyond that, it will be a lot of shadowing, cc'ing him on all my E-mails about squadron bidness, and gradually allowing him to make more decisions and introduce some of his ideas.  The more seamless the actual change of command is, the better off I think we'll be.

Thoughts?
Hey, give me some credit.  I know who he is.  :-)

dwb

Quote from: Major_Chuck on June 02, 2005, 02:35:33 PMIt's called 'brain dump' everything you know, know of, know about has to be passed to him.

I was surprised how much stuff I kept in my skull.  I sent him a very long E-mail of various activities we support every year, some of the periodic reports we have to submit, etc.

There's so much to convey, I just need to start writing it all down, so at least he has written record of it in case a question comes up.

abysmal

The real question is, just what are you going to do with YOURSELF now?
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

dwb

Quote from: abysmal on June 05, 2005, 06:03:30 PMThe real question is, just what are you going to do with YOURSELF now?

Absolutely Nothing.  Well, nothing for at least three months.  After my leave of absence, I'll just wait until an appropriate opportunity presents itself.

NeoBahamid

dwb

Quote from: NeoBahamid on June 06, 2005, 04:46:59 PMThat, and getting married...

Though that is technically before the change of command... or is the wedding a "change of command" in its own way?  :-\

pixelwonk

Quote from: justin_bailey on June 06, 2005, 06:07:51 PM
Quote from: NeoBahamid on June 06, 2005, 04:46:59 PMThat, and getting married...

Though that is technically before the change of command... or is the wedding a "change of command" in its own way? :-\

You don't know the half of it  :)

Yoda

BTW, I understand the midget part, but where's the double digit come from? ;D

MIKE

Quote from: Yoda on June 07, 2005, 09:39:08 PM

It means he is short... As in, he only has a little bit of time left on his tour as a squadron CC.  I believe the term dates back to the Vietnam War where soldiers normally served a tour of one year (365 days) in country or in theater and then returned home.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on June 07, 2005, 11:37:22 PM
Quote from: Yoda on June 07, 2005, 09:39:08 PM

It means he is short... As in, he only has a little bit of time left on his tour as a squadron CC.  I believe the term dates back to the Vietnam War where soldiers normally served a tour of one year (365 days) in country or in theater and then returned home.

Dan's a short-timer!   ;)

...and I'm not the one pinning on his commander's doodad... whew!   8)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP