What Does "Missions for America" Mean?

Started by Guardrail, February 11, 2007, 10:16:43 PM

Guardrail

I know this has been talked about already, but what does "Missions for America" mean? 

The National Commander always talks about CAP performing "Missions for America", but has never explained to us what that entails.

CAP428

It means our marketing teams could not come up with something more catchy.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Guardrail on February 11, 2007, 10:16:43 PM
I know this has been talked about already, but what does "Missions for America" mean? 

The National Commander always talks about CAP performing "Missions for America", but has never explained to us what that entails.

To me it means we are at the service of our nation, Air Force and Community when they call.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

flight dispatcher

Rereading up on some leadership books, not defining the goal does causes confusion. That being said, Its a catchy frase, but it isn't getting defined properly at the lower levels. I think that is why the question is being asked,

Respectfully,

DNall

That's just it is it's a catchy phrase, like aim high or cross into the clue (ha, I mistyped that & it's funny so I'm leaving it)  ;D

What it's not is an organizational vision (in the military you'd call it a stement of doctorine or command guidance). You aren't really supposed to take that statement & be able to shape & define you local operations. It's jsut a borad thing that doesn't mean anything specifically. What you're asking for is several pages of explicit guidance from teh national command level on what CAp0 is supposed to be & how we need to get on board locally to make that happen.

flight dispatcher

"You aren't really supposed to take that statement & be able to shape & define you local operations."

I beg to differ. From a non-military point of view, I would take this as a company's mission statement. Each subordinate organization should be building their missions upon that But as in HLS, it hasn't been fully explained.

Respectfully,

Guardrail

I think what is confusing is that "Performing Missions for America" is taken by people to mean CAP's Mission Statement.  It is not. 

The Mission Statement is different: "To serve America by performing Homeland Security and humanitarian missions for our communities, states, and nation; developing our country's youth; and educating our citizens on the importance of air and space power."

So why doesn't the National Commander refer to the mission statement rather than "Missions for America" when addressing the membership?

I should also note that "Missions for America" is not equivalent to "Aim High" or "No One Comes Close."  It comes from the Civil Air Patrol Vision: "America's Air Force Auxiliary, Civil Air Patrol, building the nation's finest force of citizen volunteers - performing Missions for America."

Guardrail

Quote from: flight dispatcher on February 11, 2007, 11:20:42 PM
"You aren't really supposed to take that statement & be able to shape & define you local operations."

I beg to differ. From a non-military point of view, I would take this as a company's mission statement. Each subordinate organization should be building their missions upon that But as in HLS, it hasn't been fully explained.

Respectfully,

This is an example of why using "Missions for America" is not a good idea when talking about what CAP does.  "Missions for America" can mean a lot of different things. 

"Missions for America" is not CAP's Mission Statement.  Just see the post above.

The CAP Mission Statement, however, is much more concrete. 

DNall

A short catchy mission statement like that from a company would be put on their website, but accompanied internally by three pages of strategic plan you'd be expected to execute as a dept head, and that's not counting the command guidance to enhance & evolve the formal stuff as you go.