NHQ Uniform Committee

Started by LtCol White, November 14, 2007, 06:15:02 PM

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Pylon on December 27, 2007, 01:30:52 PM
Quote from: ZigZag911 on December 27, 2007, 03:09:06 AM
Has the possibility of metal rank on the epaulets of service jacket (blouse) been considered? With addition of pin on CAP command crest, to make it distinct from actual AF?

I believe that exact proposal was already fielded with negative results.  Metal rank is not in our future.  I like the idea of the one blue epaulet - same epaulet on everything from outerwear and sweaters to blues and service coat, on both corporate and AF-style.  The senior members would have matching epaulets and nameplates as the cadets, again on both corporate and AF-style, and we'd look like *gasp* one organization.

Pylon and the others are correct.  About two years ago it was discussed with the AF to allow metal rank on the service dress blue.  There was a command crest designed that would be placed halfway up the epaulet, much like the Army's DUC.  The AF rejected that idea outright.  A secondary proposal was sent up for sew-on gray epaulets with metal rank, rather than the gray epaulet slides.  The AF nixed that one, too.  The AF DID approve sew-on insignia with the UM blue background, on the BDU cap, so we at least got something.  (This means, I think, that the AF subscribes to the "Throw them a bone" management technique).

After that, "He who shall not be named" came out with the TPU, and black leather flight jackets.
Another former CAP officer

Eclipse

The last thing I'd want on a service blouse (or aviator) shirt is metal grade - the pins / frogs would be sticking in your shoulders all the time, especially with a jacket on.

Everybody wears sleeves these days on their blouses (if they wear shoulder grade).

"That Others May Zoom"

JohnKachenmeister

I don't know, Eclipse.

I was commissioned in the Army in 1978 and wore every grade from 2LT to Maj. on the shoulders of my jacket, and I never got poked by my own pins.

Hoist by my own petard a few times, but never poked by my own pins.

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 27, 2007, 05:09:48 PM
I don't know, Eclipse.

I was commissioned in the Army in 1978 and wore every grade from 2LT to Maj. on the shoulders of my jacket, and I never got poked by my own pins.

They have never poked me either!  Now when we wore pin-on in Garrison on our PC's they did leave a mark on my forehead.  That was about it.

If we can get blue slides for the jacket, lets go for it!  Let's not even suggest other colors!
What's up monkeys?

Pace

From the way I read his post, he meant the light blue or aviator shirt.  In which case, I completely agree.  Although I'm really not sure what post it was in response to since no one else mentioned anything about metal grade on shirts that I see.
Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

Yes, I was referring to metal grade on the shirts - I read an above post to be "blouse" when it said "blue".

Whoops, though I don't really want metal on my jackets, either - I don't care for how the frogs push up the epaulets, its always looked a "off" to me.  I don't understand why they haven't come up with a better way to affix the grade.

I won't post any specific photos, but a quick Google shows lots of examples...

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on December 27, 2007, 06:22:13 PM
I don't understand why they haven't come up with a better way to affix the grade.

They have, in Star Trek all the pins are magnetic. ;)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DogCollar

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 27, 2007, 06:34:40 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 27, 2007, 06:22:13 PM
I don't understand why they haven't come up with a better way to affix the grade.

They have, in Star Trek all the pins are magnetic. ;)

Make it so, number one!! ;)
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 27, 2007, 06:34:40 PMThey have, in Star Trek all the pins are magnetic. ;)

I've actually thought about using magnets for both nameplates and badges. Would be a lot easier to line them up. Don't think they would work as well on Service Coats, but at least shirts would be easier. They make the Ultrathins magnetic, so a complete set would be pretty easy.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 27, 2007, 07:03:39 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 27, 2007, 06:34:40 PMThey have, in Star Trek all the pins are magnetic. ;)

I've actually thought about using magnets for both nameplates and badges. Would be a lot easier to line them up. Don't think they would work as well on Service Coats, but at least shirts would be easier. They make the Ultrathins magnetic, so a complete set would be pretty easy.

The magnets would have to be incredibily strong.  I've seen the UltraThins of which you wrote, but have strayed against them for fear of losing ribbon racks and other badges.

I don't think Service Coats will ever having anything better than the pin/clutches versions, unless there was a velcro solution that saw ribbon racks.

Here, for you TREK BUFFS, is what they did during TOS...

Or the rare time ribbons were worn with the Movie Era Uniform.  Here Col West, a less than good guy involved in a plot, serves as an allegory for Lt Col Ollie North.

Don't beieve the Ollie North thing, go here and read...

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/West

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 27, 2007, 07:22:45 PM
The magnets would have to be incredibily strong. 

Rare earth magnets are incredibly strong. I've caught a finger between two small ones, and had a blood blister for weeks. Many of them you can put one on the  inside and one outside of your hand, and they will hold there.

I haven't actually witnessed it, but heard rumor of an unfortunate soul who caught a finger between some larger ones and ended up with a broken bone.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 27, 2007, 08:25:42 PM
The magnets would have to be incredibily strong. 

Rare earth magnets are incredibly strong. I've caught a finger between two small ones, and had a blood blister for weeks. Many of them you can put one on the  inside and one outside of your hand, and they will hold there.

I haven't actually witnessed it, but heard rumor of an unfortunate soul who caught a finger between some larger ones and ended up with a broken bone.

Yikes!!!  We forget that, compared to the powers of the natural world, we are insignificant ants.

Is this the type of magnet in use on the UltaThins you mentioned?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 27, 2007, 07:03:39 PM

The magnets would have to be incredibily strong.  I've seen the UltraThins of which you wrote, but have strayed against them for fear of losing ribbon racks and other badges.

I don't think Service Coats will ever having anything better than the pin/clutches versions, unless there was a velcro solution that saw ribbon racks.

Here, for you TREK BUFFS, is what they did during TOS...

Or the rare time ribbons were worn with the Movie Era Uniform.  Here Col West, a less than good guy involved in a plot, serves as an allegory for Lt Col Ollie North.

Don't beieve the Ollie North thing, go here and read...

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/West

I am glad to see that in the 24th century flip charts are still being produced.  Wonder if they got those made up at Staples or Office Max?
What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 27, 2007, 08:28:15 PMIs this the type of magnet in use on the UltaThins you mentioned?

I don't think so. The ones I've seen are more similar to what you have on your fridge than anything else. Pretty much magnetic particles suspended in a plastic.

The rare earth ones would ideally hold on most metal badges. Just have to hollow the back a bit so the badge would be properly flush when you put it on. Easily done, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Major Carrales

QuoteI am glad to see that in the 24th century flip charts are still being produced.  Wonder if they got those made up at Staples or Office Max?

Kinkos..obviously!!!  I think it was still the 23rd Century then?  Whence?  Thence? (don't know the proper term from talking about the past of the future.) ;)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 27, 2007, 08:31:32 PM
QuoteI am glad to see that in the 24th century flip charts are still being produced.  Wonder if they got those made up at Staples or Office Max?

Kinkos..obviously!!!  I think it was still the 23rd Century then?  Whence?  Thence? (don't know the proper term from talking about the past of the future.) ;)

2293 = 23rd Century, but we've drifted way off topic here it seems.

To get back onto topic: I've no objection to slides, just as long as we don't go back to the much-hated raspberry things...

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Eclipse

You could sew a sheet of steel into the epaulet and in the lining of the jacket where badges go, so that the magnet would not have to go through the whole bulk of the material.

If you used a stainless steel mesh, it would be flexible and act just like a foam enforcer.

The grade would stick like a pin and sit perfectly flush...

Hm....

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on December 27, 2007, 09:04:11 PM
You could sew a sheet of steel into the epaulet and in the lining of the jacket where badges go, so that the magnet would not have to go through the whole bulk of the material.

If you used a stainless steel mesh, it would be flexible and act just like a foam enforcer.

The grade would stick like a pin and sit perfectly flush...

Hm....

Look like a would-be Thomas Edison just joined the fold!!!  :P :)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Magnetic won't work well once you get old enough for a pacemaker.  Or, rather the magnet will work just fine, but the pacemaker won't.

W3ZR

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 27, 2007, 11:25:21 PM
Magnetic won't work well once you get old enough for a pacemaker.  Or, rather the magnet will work just fine, but the pacemaker won't.

Ahhh do we want to really live forever ?

Robert Montgomery, soon to be former Captain, CAP