NHQ Uniform Committee

Started by LtCol White, November 14, 2007, 06:15:02 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on December 05, 2007, 09:56:13 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on December 05, 2007, 09:31:26 PM
...For starters, we don't need anything on the sleeves at all...

Does this mean that you support collar rank for the NCO's?  If so, I'll second.

I meant to indcate just patches, not rank insignia. Sorry.

Not a bad idea, but the Air Force spokesperson for the ABU said that one of the reasons that they didn't go with collar rank for all was because "it would require a change in the Air Force's rank insignia culture". If we tried it, they'd probably have kittens.

So to clarify, other than rank insignia stripes, there shouldn't be anything else on the sleeves.

JayT

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on December 05, 2007, 09:38:42 PM
I honestly don't have the time at the moment to go look back over 25 pages - so forgive me if it's already been brought up, but what about reinstating "short-stacking" for Cadets?

(For those of us that DON'T like wearing every, single ribbon we've got...)

Hear Hear!
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Pylon

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on December 05, 2007, 09:38:42 PM
I honestly don't have the time at the moment to go look back over 25 pages - so forgive me if it's already been brought up, but what about reinstating "short-stacking" for Cadets?

(For those of us that DON'T like wearing every, single ribbon we've got...)

Since I'm going through all of CAPM 39-1 at the moment for sections/tables/figures that we'd like to address - which uniforms and sections specifically need to be addressed for the cadets ribbon shortstacking issue; I know I've heard this before?  Where would you like to see the "some" or "some or none" clauses inserted?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

scooter

Quote from: RiverAux on December 05, 2007, 04:31:05 AM
QuoteWe don't wear rank on the polo and no one seems to have difficulty figuring out who is what.
Actually we do.  I don't like people wandering around mission base who I can't pretty easily identify. 

You wear rank on the polo shirt with grey pants?

RiverAux

I guess I missed the section where we decided it was cost effective to have members buy khaki pants to replace the gray pants they have now?  Whats the purpose of that?   

jeders

Quote from: CCCO162 on December 05, 2007, 11:03:45 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 05, 2007, 04:31:05 AM
QuoteWe don't wear rank on the polo and no one seems to have difficulty figuring out who is what.
Actually we do.  I don't like people wandering around mission base who I can't pretty easily identify. 

You wear rank on the polo shirt with grey pants?
No, we have difficulty figuring out who is who when they wear a polo without there name embroidered on it.

Quote from: RiverAux on December 05, 2007, 11:13:29 PM
I guess I missed the section where we decided it was cost effective to have members buy khaki pants to replace the gray pants they have now?  Whats the purpose of that?   

Most, not all, but most people have khaki pants already for there own purposes.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

LtCol White

The reason for khaki over gray is that it is easier to find a more uniform shade of khaki than gray.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

LtCol White

As we make changes and just talk about uniforms, there is one very simple point to remember that USAF wants. They want us to follow/enforce the uniform regulations. All of us here posting feel very strongly about our uniforms and appearance, regardless of differeing opinions of who likes what.

It is IMPERATIVE that we do everything we can in our units and wings to educate on the proper wear. USAF would die a happy death if they woke up one morning and saw all of CAP wearing their uniforms properly, proudly, and abiding by all guidelines.

I would ask that we all take it on ourselves to take on the mission of getting compliance. Go forth and educate. The review and revision we are working on of 39-1 WILL make it much simpler to follow. Pylon needs your comments on the 39-1 thread so we can identify all the discrepencies. Please post your observations there so we can collect them and address them.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

LtCol White

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 05, 2007, 05:14:43 PM
Considering the length of this thread, I don't remember if this has been covered or not. So here goes:

Cold Weather Gear!

We need it in many places. CAP is not a tropical only organization.

As to the gear, stuff like Gore-Tex, fleece, gloves, mittens, scarves, poly-pro and parkas (such as the N-2B and N-3B) need to be included, or at least referenced, in the uniform manual. Cold weather footgear should be mentioned too.

In Alaska, I wore poly-pro, muklucks, an N-3B, mittens and a stocking cap at times. Sometimes just going to meetings (you need it at 20 below). Wasn't in the manual, but I didn't care, and I still have all my fingers and toes because I dressed properly. If I'd only worn what was authorized in the manual for cold weather, I'd be dead.

As part of the 39-1 review we are going to look at everything in the USAF closet and see what items they have that are not currently authorized for CAP that would serve a benefit/purpose if CAP were authorized to wear them. This list will then be submitted up the chain for approval.  Pylon is from NYWG so he's very intuned with the cold weather concerns.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

JCJ

Quote from: LtCol White on December 05, 2007, 04:35:23 PM
Just a reminder on the uniform process. Everything we compile and suggest as the Committee will be submitted to NHQ for review and then it will be sent up through the CAP chain for Air Force review/approval.

Just wanted to make sure all were familiar with how this works.

Will the proposed changes be considered by the National Board?

LtCol White

Quote from: JCJ on December 05, 2007, 11:40:44 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on December 05, 2007, 04:35:23 PM
Just a reminder on the uniform process. Everything we compile and suggest as the Committee will be submitted to NHQ for review and then it will be sent up through the CAP chain for Air Force review/approval.

Just wanted to make sure all were familiar with how this works.

Will the proposed changes be considered by the National Board?

Yes, they will go to NHQ and the NB for review and then up to USAF from there. The committee is an official NHQ committee.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

RiverAux

Quote from: LtCol White on December 05, 2007, 11:22:42 PM

The reason for khaki over gray is that it is easier to find a more uniform shade of khaki than gray.
Based on what?  Unless you get very specific, you will still see quite a bit of variation in color and syle anyway.  Just within my closet I found four pairs of pants that everyone would agree were khaki and each one of them had a very distinct shade.  Unless you require that all pants be purchased from a single source in a single style, everyone will still complain about the differences.  So why not leave well enough alone. 

thp

Keep utility uniform/blue poly-cotton flight suit.
-Great for cadets during flights
-Inexpensive
-Height/Weight standards don't apply

Stonewall

Quote from: LtCol White on December 05, 2007, 11:22:42 PM

I'm gonna throw this out there...sort of a wild card, but what about going with a khaki pant but having two options depending on the UOD? 

Example:  UOD BDUs (or whatever utility uniform we decide).  Members like myself who wish to wear a polo combo can wear khaki fatigue style pants.  But on a "blues night", khaki slacks would be required.

Again, a wild card.
Serving since 1987.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: thp on December 06, 2007, 12:58:30 AM
-Great for cadets during flights

Why wouldn't a Cadet just wear BDU's during a flight in they didn't have a flight suit?  The only difference really is the color...  (Between the BDU's and BBDU's, I mean.)

MIKE

The Utility Uniform is not the Field Uniform.  Go look it up.
Mike Johnston

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: MIKE on December 06, 2007, 01:29:59 AM
The Utility Uniform is not the Field Uniform.  Go look it up.

Oops - read that too fast.  I personally don't hear too much of the blue utility uniform - so I didn't think of that when I initially heard "blue".

My question still stands though - why purchase a seperate uniform (no matter the cost) when a Cadet can simply wear BDU's like the majority of 'em all?

thp

It is up to the member. You can get a utility uniform for about $40. Meanwhile a field uniforms/BDUs are about $70. Also nomex is about $265.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: thp on December 06, 2007, 02:00:21 AM
It is up to the member. You can get a utility uniform for about $40. Meanwhile a field uniforms/BDUs are about $70. Also nomex is about $265.

What I'm trying to say here is... You said the blue utility uniform is not a STANDARD uniform for Cadets, whereas the Battle Dress Uniform is.  Almost ALL Cadets (the heavy majority) have BDU's.  Not too many have the blue utility uniform.

See what I'm trying to say?

You're bringing up a cost matter, when, really, the uniform you're trying to say is cheaper isn't a necessity.

thp

I understand, I'm just saying, if they want it go for it. But it could be used by senior members who don't fit the height/weight standards, and can't afford nomex.