NHQ Uniform Committee

Started by LtCol White, November 14, 2007, 06:15:02 PM

AlphaSigOU

Submitted for the esteemed assembly's perusal and consideration by the NHQ Uniform Committee:

Here's a somewhat sensible wear policy for the AF-style FDU, CAP FDU and utility uniform, blatantly plagiarized from AFI 36-2903 with CAP-specific information from 39-1 replacing the AF-specific stuff.

Grade Insignia. Officers will wear vivid cloth grade insignia on each shoulder of the USAF-style, CAP FDU, utility uniform and Nomex-style flight jackets (Plastic covered grade insignia is not authorized). Grade will be sewn-on 5/8 inches from the shoulder seam, centered on the shoulder. Officer grade insignia cloth and cable (thread) standards: USAF-style and CAP FDU base cloth is [olive green or dark blue] Officer grade insignia will be white (cable #?) except for 2d Lt and Major which will be golden yellow (cable #?) Enlisted and cadet grade is included on the nametag of the USAF-style FDU and CAP FDU and Nomex-style flight jackets. Both officer and enlisted/cadet grade insignia on the black leather A-2 Flying Jacket is on the name tag only. EXCEPTION: Placement of General Officer (GO) stars on the USAF-style FDU, CAP FDU and Nomex jackets will be centered on the shoulder halfway between the neck and shoulder seam. Generals wear 1-inch stars on flight suits; 3/4-inch stars may be used if there is insufficient room for the 1-inch stars. GO grade insignia will be on base cloth [olive green or dark blue] GO stars will be white (cable #?) and displayed point-to-center.

Nametags. Cloth nametags for USAF-style FDU, CAP FDU, utility uniform and Nomex-style flight jackets will be 2 inches by 4 inches in size and worn over the left breast pocket. As a minimum, CAP aeronautical badge or specialty insignia (if awarded) are mandatory and nametags will contain individual's name and grade (grade is only mandatory for enlisted and cadet personnel). Embroidered badges will be silver (white) in color. Region and wing supplements to this instruction will standardize nametags (i.e., background/border colors, squadron logos, naming convention, etc). Nametags for black leather A-2 Flying Jacket will be 2 inches by 4 inches, brown or black leather or simulated leather. Emboss with silver wings/badges, first and last name, grade, and CAP. NOTE: Commanders authorized to wear the commander's badge will wear the badge on the left side of the nametag. The badge will be worn only while performing commander duties.

Right Breast Pocket. CAP MAJCOM-style patch will be centered above the right breast pocket. CAP MAJCOM-style patch for the right breast area of the black leather A-2 flying jacket will have a brown or black leather, simulated leather background.

Left Sleeve. The US flag, positioned no lower than 1 inch from shoulder seam. The US flag will be red, white, and blue with golden-yellow border portraying a straight flag, not a waving flag. The flag will be approximately 2 by 3 inches, with the union to the front and stripes trailing. Chapter 1, Title 4, United States Code, specifies the flag colors as red, white, and blue; therefore, subdued flag replicas are not authorized for wear on the USAF-style FDU, CAP FDU or utility uniform.

Right Sleeve. The unit emblem (squadron patch) will be worn as authorized through region or wing supplement to this instruction. When authorized to fly with another unit, individuals may wear the emblem of the unit they are assigned to for flight duties.

Add-On Patches. Regions and wings will publish guidance on wear of add-on patches (i.e., flying
hour milestone, instructor, flight examiner scroll, etc). Campaign/exercise patches are not authorized. Region and wing commanders must approve all emblems/patches not specifically addressed in this instruction.

Neckwear. The wear of scarves will be addressed by region and wing supplements. When authorized, scarves will be worn around the neck and tucked in.

The Air Force brown leather A-2 flight jacket is NOT authorized with this or any Air Force style uniform. The CWU-45/P or CWU-36/P style green Nomex or nylon flight jackets may be worn ONLY with the AF-style FDU. The CAP black leather flight jacket is authorized with the CAP FDU or any CAP distinctive corporate uniform. Alternately, the CWU 45/P or CWU 36/P style flight jackets in dark blue Nomex or nylon may be worn.

AUTHORIZED RIGHT SLEEVE PATCHES

AFRCC SAR Management Course Graduate
CAP Stan/Eval Check Pilot
CAP Proficient Pilot
CAP Cadet Orientation Pilot
CAP NESA patch
CAP Emergency Services (either Pluto or T-34 style)
Region patch (if authorized by region or wing supplement)
Wing patch (if authorized by region or wing supplement)
Group patch (if authorized by region or wing supplement)
Squadron patch (if authorized by region or wing supplement)

Only one of these patches may be worn on the right sleeve.

OK guys... any constructive crtiticism is welcome, but don't kill the messenger, alright?  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

FlyingTerp

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 24, 2007, 07:19:57 PM

OK guys... any constructive criticism is welcome, but don't kill the messenger, alright?  ;D

Criticism??!  Its easy to follow, clear on what is and is not permitted, and logical.  My only criticism is that I'm not accustomed to a reg like that  ;D.

DrJbdm

I think it's well written, logical, concise and shows what is and isn't authorised. Throw in the well done pictures of the uniforms and devices and you would have it completely covered.

but we all know it will never be done this way because that makes too much sense!

AlphaSigOU

New three-letter acronym we should all learn: FDU - flight dress uniform. That's what the RealAirForce® calls the green bag. (DFDU for the desert tan bag which we will never wear.)

So, in a rewrite of 39-1 these should be the approved terminologies for the aircrew bag:

USAF-style FDU - green Nomex bag
CAP FDU - blue Nomex bag

For the red-headed stepchild called the utility uniform: instead of making it look like the CAP FDU, why not make a little change:

Sew on nametapes and CIVIL AIR PATROL tapes in dark blue with white letters, in line with the upper pockets just like the BDUs. Officer grade: cloth just like the CAP FDU on the shoulders. US flag patch and optional right shoulder patch just like the CAP FDUs. May be sewn or velcroed (not for the nametapes or grade).

Headgear: plain dark blue ballcap with metal pin-on grade.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

arajca

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 24, 2007, 09:07:37 PM
For the red-headed stepchild called the utility uniform: instead of making it look like the CAP FDU, why not make a little change:

Sew on nametapes and CIVIL AIR PATROL tapes in dark blue with white letters, in line with the upper pockets just like the BDUs. Officer grade: cloth just like the CAP FDU on the shoulders. US flag patch and optional right shoulder patch just like the CAP FDUs. May be sewn or velcroed (not for the nametapes or grade).

The pockets on the utility uniform have angled tops just like the flight suit. If you hold the two next to each other, they are identical, except for the material. The cut is the same. The pockets are the same. So why should the insignia be different?

As to the FDU idea:
Why are cadets REQUIRED to have their grade on their nametags and sm officers aren't? Putting "CADET" on the nametag makes more sense. Why are commanders required to buy a new nametag when they take office and another when they leave office? Wasn't there something about minimizing the expense to members mentioned somewhere? ???

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: FlyingTerp on November 24, 2007, 06:39:09 PM
Quote from: DrJbdm on November 24, 2007, 06:11:53 PM

HOWEVER, we need a WELL WRITTEN uniform policy with good pictures.

I couldn't agree more!  That should be the #1 priority of the recommendations to NHQ.  How difficult can it be?  I'm sure a few of us could knock it out over a weekend with a laptop, a digital camera, and every uniform. 

"Every uniform" will cost more than the laptop!!!!!  :D
Another former CAP officer

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: arajca on November 24, 2007, 09:35:25 PM

The pockets on the utility uniform have angled tops just like the flight suit. If you hold the two next to each other, they are identical, except for the material. The cut is the same. The pockets are the same. So why should the insignia be different?

As to the FDU idea:
Why are cadets REQUIRED to have their grade on their nametags and sm officers aren't? Putting "CADET" on the nametag makes more sense. Why are commanders required to buy a new nametag when they take office and another when they leave office? Wasn't there something about minimizing the expense to members mentioned somewhere? ???

Only a suggestion... don't kill the messenger.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

arajca

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 25, 2007, 12:19:00 AM
snip
Who's killing anyone? I'm asking about the rational behind the suggestion.

JohnKachenmeister

New three-letter acronym we should all learn: FDU - flight dress uniform. That's what the RealAirForce® calls the green bag. (DFDU for the desert tan bag which we will never wear.)

So, in a rewrite of 39-1 these should be the approved terminologies for the aircrew bag:

CAP FDU - blue Nomex bag

Is it REALLY a "Flight Dress Uniform," or was that a joke?
Another former CAP officer

PHall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 25, 2007, 03:19:06 AM

CAP FDU - blue Nomex bag

Is it REALLY a "Flight Dress Uniform," or was that a joke?

Actually, it's "Flight Duty Uniform" as per AFI 36-2903.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: arajca on November 25, 2007, 02:51:57 AM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 25, 2007, 12:19:00 AM
snip
Who's killing anyone? I'm asking about the rational behind the suggestion.

Simply a suggestion... obviously that went down like a lead Zeppelin (pun intended). That's what's good about this thread.

I stand corrected viz. 'Flight Duty Uniform' vs. 'Flight Dress Uniform'. Thanks for the correction.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

hoverguy

I am not a CAP member but might become a member, hence my question: Which uniforms are Senior Members required to wear and when?

I found the 2007 national conference PPT on CAP uniforms and can see that there are two categories: (1) USAF-style uniforms and (2) CAP corporate uniforms.

It is my understanding that Senior members can optionally choose to wear corporate uniforms only - correct? (Regardless of weight standard and depending on grooming).

Thus, my following questions are restricted to the corporate uniform category and am assuming that the USAF-style uniforms are not required of Senior members (unless they choose to wear the AF-style and qualify by weight/grooming standards).

The local CAP squadron (except for the head officer) normally wears civilian clothing for meetings, and has worn AF-style BDUs for some events and public service functions. I imagine they wear other uniforms at other events too.

Which corporate uniforms are required of Senior members? The PPT lists the following:

Corporate Service coat?
Corporate Uniform? (white shirt, AF-blue pants, etc)
Outergarments? (Black windbreaker, black leather jacket)?
Blazer combination?
Aviator shirt?
CAP Field Uniform (Blue, said to be same as AF BDU)
CAP Flight suit or Utility uniform?
Golf shirts?

What - specifically - out of this list is normally required for a Senior member? I have several practical reasons for asking, one of which is expense, of course ...

Thanks!

Eclipse

What is "normal"?  You'll see here we can't answer that.

The only time, by reg, that you are required to wear a uniform, is when participating in an leadership role with cadets.

Other than that, ES participation may/will dictate when and if you have to wear a uniform.

The most basic uniform is the golf shirt and gray pants.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

OK... in a nutshell:

Senior members and cadets over 18 that meet CAP weight and grooming standards may wear the USAF-style uniform, essentially a USAF uniform with distinctive CAP insignia.

Senior members and cadets over 18 who do not meet CAP weight standards, but who do meet CAP grooming standards may wear the corporate service uniform, which are dark blue AF-style trousers, white aviator-style shirt with flap pockets and epaulets and CAP distinctive insignia. A double-breasted corporate service dress jacket is available.

Senior members (only) who do not meet CAP weight or grooming standards may wear  the white aviator shirt and gray trousers.

Minimum basic service uniform (AF style):

Light blue shirt (shade 1550 or 1581), short sleeve or long sleeve. Must wear a dark blue AF-style tie if wearing long sleeves; optional with short sleeves.
Dark blue trousers (shade 1620 or 1625).
Blue web belt with bright silver buckle and tip.
Flight cap (should match the shade and weave of trousers).

Minimum basic corporate uniform (blue)

White aviator-style shirt. (Van Heusen makes one called the 'Aviator'; some - including myself - prefer a shirt that closely resembles the AF-style shirt.) Long sleeve/short sleeve tie rule applies.
Dark blue trousers (shade 1625).
Blue web belt with bright silver buckle and tip.
Flight cap.

Minimum basic corporate uniform (gray)

White aviator-style shirt. (Van Heusen makes one called the 'Aviator'; some - including myself - prefer a shirt that closely resembles the AF-style shirt.) Long sleeve/short sleeve tie rule applies.
Medium gray dress trousers. Pleated or plain front OK, cuffed or straight leg OK
No headgear required, though a dark blue ball cap is OK.
Black leather belt with silver buckle.

For all three, distinctive CAP insignia are required.

Members who meet weight and crooming standards can wear any of the three above combinations. Don't mix and match! ;D

KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

Guys this is a derail.  Don't give me an excuse to lock the thread.

Also, Eclipse... CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1.  6th one down.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on November 26, 2007, 03:10:52 AM
Guys this is a derail.  Don't give me an excuse to lock the thread.

Also, Eclipse... CAPM 39-1 Table 1-1.  6th one down.

Works for me, however a lot of Commanders would argue that making a member change after work is "imposing an unreasonable requirement".

Sorry to push this sideways, I didn't even realize which thread I was in when I replied.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Quote from: Eclipse on November 26, 2007, 03:24:12 AM
Works for me, however a lot of Commanders would argue that making a member change after work is "imposing an unreasonable requirement".

^ What this thread is for.
Mike Johnston

DNall

Meant to add one other item to my original statement...

Process to make changes.... after results from wear test, proposed changes should be recommended to a uniform board that meets on a limited basis - as in no more than once every 2 years, and in conjunction with the AETC or higher uniform board (like across the hall from them). Board should contain voting AF reps.

Anything that absolutely MUST be changed before that time would be an emergency change. Which means it has to meet a set criteria (like safety or AF ordered us to do this) to categorize it that way, and need an overwhelming vote (like 2/3rds of NB) to be enacted.

Grumpy

"Why are cadets REQUIRED to have their grade on their nametags and sm officers aren't?"

With regards to the cadets, I'm a little foggy on that myself.  These young people promote on an average of every 2 1/2 months.  How about just the word "Cadet" on the name tag?  Or did you say that?

MIKE

That is what CAPM 39-1 used to specify, which was left out of the most recent edition.
Mike Johnston