Cadet 'Specilization'

Started by DC, January 29, 2008, 09:29:53 PM

DC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 31, 2008, 02:41:56 AM
Can't add requirements for promotion, like requiring that if you want to be a C/MSgt you need to complete a squadron school.
In a technical sense, no, you're right. But technically, we cannot require cadets to own and wear BDUs. If you start such a school and tell cadets that they need to go trough it before they can strike for C/MSgt they will do it.. The only purpose of it would be to make better NCOs, and it wouldn't be a hard long activity, just a weekend in a classroom environment...

Squadrons have the option of holding promotion boards to acertain a cadet's competency, which, in effect, makes passing Promotion boards a requirement...

jimmydeanno

It doesn't have anything to do with a PRB - it is about setting standards for promotion that aren't real.  If a cadet possesses all the skills that would be taught in the NCO academy and doesn't go, why would that be a deterring factor for promotion? 

I think that NCO schools are a great idea to help build the skills of your staff, but telling them if they don't go, they don't get promoted is a no go.

The PRB itself isn't even another 'check box' for promotion, it is a feedback session.  It isn't supposed to set any more expectations than what is listed in 52-16.  it is to talk about the cadets current abilities, their progress, answer questions, etc - not make sure they can answer 9 out of 10 memorization questions. 

The PRB is a tool, not a task.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BillB

If you check, Promotion Review Boards are not required for cadet promotions. I=f a Squadron has one, the DCP or CC can overrule the PRB. Other Squadrons do very well without them, with the DCP recommending to the CC that Cadet Doe be promoted, or not.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 31, 2008, 06:20:56 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with a PRB - it is about setting standards for promotion that aren't real.  If a cadet possesses all the skills that would be taught in the NCO academy and doesn't go, why would that be a deterring factor for promotion? 

I think that NCO schools are a great idea to help build the skills of your staff, but telling them if they don't go, they don't get promoted is a no go.

The PRB itself isn't even another 'check box' for promotion, it is a feedback session.  It isn't supposed to set any more expectations than what is listed in 52-16.  it is to talk about the cadets current abilities, their progress, answer questions, etc - not make sure they can answer 9 out of 10 memorization questions. 

We do not make a box to check off, but we do require a cadet to go through the board. We also avoid asking memorization questions, instead focusing on scenarios, and other questions appropriate to what the cadet is expected to know. It allows us to make a decision that is not based on just the written tests. We conduct a 'feedback meeting' between the officer that does the Form 50 and the cadet, more of a one on one thing. Our system works for us.

As for the requiring the NCO School, if it can't be a 'requirement' then it won't be...

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Delta Charlie on January 31, 2008, 10:33:29 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 31, 2008, 06:20:56 PM
We do not make a box to check off, but we do require a cadet to go through the board. We also avoid asking memorization questions, instead focusing on scenarios, and other questions appropriate to what the cadet is expected to know. It allows us to make a decision that is not based on just the written tests. We conduct a 'feedback meeting' between the officer that does the Form 50 and the cadet, more of a one on one thing. Our system works for us.

I hope they at least have to memorize general knowledge cadet oath, moto, honor code, core values, and the chain of comand. Also the twelve general orders. i have these all memorized it is not that hard. :)

Tags - MIKE

arajca

There is no "honor code" or "twelve general orders" in CAP.

Ned

Quote from: arajca on January 31, 2008, 11:09:39 PM

Unless, of course, a unit or activity commander says there is for their unit or activity.

mikeylikey

As far as honor code goes......"I will not lie, cheat or steal" is more about being a good citizen than memorizing some sentence.  I hope everyone here lives up to those words.  If not, please feel free to turn yourselves in!   :-*
What's up monkeys?

JayT

Quote from: Delta Charlie on January 31, 2008, 05:18:19 PM
Can't add requirements for promotion, like requiring that if you want to be a C/MSgt you need to complete a squadron school.
In a technical sense, no, you're right. But technically, we cannot require cadets to own and wear BDUs. If you start such a school and tell cadets that they need to go trough it before they can strike for C/MSgt they will do it.. The only purpose of it would be to make better NCOs, and it wouldn't be a hard long activity, just a weekend in a classroom environment...

Squadrons have the option of holding promotion boards to acertain a cadet's competency, which, in effect, makes passing Promotion boards a requirement...

There really isn't a 'technical sense.' There's what the regs say to do, what they say is optional, and what they say isn't allowed.

It's a terrible idea, because CAP isn't just an ES agency, or a AE teaching association, or a poor mans JROTC. It's all three, and should be treated as such. A cadets main job is to learn. Their job is to learn so called leadership skills. Their job is to learn the purely military stuff (D & C, rank, etc etc.) Their job is to learn stuff about aviation. Etc etc.

The last thing we need is more lifer Cadet Airmen who are 'Ground Team Guys'
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Nathan

We did something that worked without subverting or reinterpreting regulations for a while.

Because the cadets have AE requirements built right into the schedule, they don't need any extra exposure to that, but that still only covers 2/3rds of CAP. So after a cadet made C/A1C, we would put them through a 2-3 week course (depending on the instructor) that would basically cover the fundamentals of ES. The goal was to get them ready to earn the ES 101 card, though it wasn't required. If they liked ES, then we have now provided them with the opportunity to move on and attend SAREX's, NESA, Hawk, and so on. If they didn't like it, then it was only 2-3 weeks out of the year that they "wasted", and even then, they had a familiarization with the material, which never hurts anything.

It stopped working when our resident ES expert on the cadet side of our program became the C/CC, but it worked very well and got many cadets who joined for the ES part of CAP some exposure and open doors.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

DC

Quote from: Nathan on February 01, 2008, 04:51:50 PM
We did something that worked without subverting or reinterpreting regulations for a while.

Because the cadets have AE requirements built right into the schedule, they don't need any extra exposure to that, but that still only covers 2/3rds of CAP. So after a cadet made C/A1C, we would put them through a 2-3 week course (depending on the instructor) that would basically cover the fundamentals of ES. The goal was to get them ready to earn the ES 101 card, though it wasn't required. If they liked ES, then we have now provided them with the opportunity to move on and attend SAREX's, NESA, Hawk, and so on. If they didn't like it, then it was only 2-3 weeks out of the year that they "wasted", and even then, they had a familiarization with the material, which never hurts anything.

It stopped working when our resident ES expert on the cadet side of our program became the C/CC, but it worked very well and got many cadets who joined for the ES part of CAP some exposure and open doors.
Thats an idea, to offer schools a few times a year, where cadets can earn their GT cert, or their Model Rocketry Badge, or what have you...

DC

I have never heard of CAP having General Orders, but I have never come across a cadet (in SER at least.) that did not know a CAP Honor Code.

JayT

Quote from: Delta Charlie on February 01, 2008, 07:42:59 PM
I have never heard of CAP having General Orders, but I have never come across a cadet (in SER at least.) that did not know a CAP Honor Code.

It doesn't matter that they know it.......
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

Quote from: Delta Charlie on February 01, 2008, 07:42:59 PM

WIWAC, there were General Orders of a Sentry that we were required to memorize. There was a three page chapter in the Lead Lab Manual on Interior Guard in the Civil Air Patrol, and they were in there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

afgeo4

Quote from: Delta Charlie on January 31, 2008, 05:18:19 PM

We can require them to wear BDU's. That is addressed in the CP regulations. BDUs and blues are the officially prescribed uniforms for cadets.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

No, but there is a Cadet Oath.
GEORGE LURYE

sarmed1

QuoteWe can require them to wear BDU's. That is addressed in the CP regulations. BDUs and blues are the officially prescribed uniforms for cadets.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here but the only uniform that is required is the short sleve blues combination, as it is the only uniform that is provided to cadets.  BDU's or other combinations can only be required if the unit is able to provide them to cadets free of charge. (I will have to hunt for where I saw that)

QuoteCan't add requirements for promotion, like requiring that if you want to be a C/MSgt you need to complete a squadron school.

No but you could make participation at "Cadet NCO acadamy" a requirement for selection ot the postion of Flight sergeant or First Sergant or whatever other positions you squadron might have.  If they want to be "that guy" they will make the time to do the activity.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

davidsinn

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 02, 2008, 06:21:46 AM

We can require them to wear BDU's. That is addressed in the CP regulations. BDUs and blues are the officially prescribed uniforms for cadets.

Cite please?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

afgeo4

Nope, but you can add requirements for promotion to leadership positions. As in... if you want to have a leadership position past element leader, you will need to complete the NCO Academy. We've done this in one of my past squadrons and it worked quite well. This is one of the ways in which we can make sure that our cadets are up to the leadership tasks we expect them to take on.

I would love to do that for senior members too, but I'm afraid the ones who'd volunteer to do leadership training would be the same exact ones who'd volunteer not to take on a leadership role (because they know better).
GEORGE LURYE