Cadet Conduct on Social Media?

Started by Heavy Flying Guy, June 28, 2014, 06:06:37 AM

Eclipse

There's a difference between self-selecting and being "unselected".

The problem here is the only verification of the story is from the teller - just because he can point to a cadet's inappropriate
FB post, even one who applied and didn't get into the USAFA, doesn't mean he was blocked because of it.

The JA might even >believe< he had influence in the matter.

So you're saying the cadet was accepted, but never notified, and "unaccepted" all in the background and he never knew the wiser?

If so, as I said, I might even agree with the action, but doing it in secret is kind of a (self-filtered) move and defeats the purpose.
I'd even say that while mentally deliberating the issue was fair game, but undoing a decision already made is juvenile, especially at this level.
I agree it smacks of "getting even", but with who?

Besides, if there is one joy left to the ever-beleaguered (many times deservedly so) wing staff it's calling people on the carpet for saying dumb thing publicly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: AirAux on December 17, 2014, 10:16:29 PM
Ned as one CAP Legal Officer to another, this is what happened.  All the liaison officer has to do is pick up the phone and call the elected official and tha Academy and say the Cadet is not interested anymore.  It does happen.  My son got selected for both the Academy and West Point.  He didn't go to West Point.  There was no congressional investigation about why??

Sir,

Reading back I can see that it might appear that I was doubting your version of events.  That is certainly not the case, and I apologize for giving that appearance.  Your word is good here.

Rather, as a guy who has to sort out unusual stories for a living, my concern is upstream from your observations.  I think Bob has correctly pointed out that all we know about this is what the admittedly shady character told you.  None of us know that guy, and he may or may not be creditable.  Indeed, if he did what he said he did for the reasons he said he did it, he doesn't sound like the kind of guy whose word I would take at face value.

And there are the usual semantic difficulties.  It would not be difficult to imagine a situation where one or more of the upstream characters used the word "offer" or "acceptance" when what was really meant was "application."

And in all likelihood, we will simply never know for sure.

But like many stories that may or may not be true, the real value is in the lessons that can be learned regardless of the underlying truth.

Here, I learned that seniors may arbitrarily and seriously damage cadets when they take capricious actions without consultation with other experienced CP officers.  I also learned that cadets act like cadets sometimes.  I suspect that has been true for several thousand years, but it's always worth remembering.

Johnny Yuma

AirAux,

I'm familiar with the incident you've referenced, along with many of the players at the time. There is far more to this story and decisions were made based on more than just a cadet making disparaging remarks on Facebook and frankly it reads like a Greek tragedy.

In retrospect, the right call was made. 
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 28, 2014, 11:02:19 PM
AirAux,

I'm familiar with the incident you've referenced, along with many of the players at the time. There is far more to this story and decisions were made based on more than just a cadet making disparaging remarks on Facebook and frankly it reads like a Greek tragedy.

The right call was between the AFA and the cadet. Anything outside of that is grown children thinking they know best.

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 29, 2014, 06:23:38 AM
AirAux,

The right call was between the AFA and the cadet. Anything outside of that is grown children thinking they know best.

The ALO IS that representative between the AFA and cadet.

Quoted straight from the ALO website: " identify, recruit, and evaluate those individuals whom the Air Force will train, retain, and commission." (emphasis mine).  If the ALO's evaluation of a prospective cadet changes it appears that it is his job to make it an issue with one's application.

I saw the kid's FB page. I can tell you there was way more to his application being quashed than just bad mouthing Wing Staff on FB. Suffice it to say the kid's lucky he didn't get 2B'd and/or wind up in jail for some of the stunts he pulled in and out of CAP time and the idiot left photo evidence of it all on his FB page! He destroyed his own AFA career himself and to be honest I think it was by design.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 30, 2014, 07:57:59 AM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 29, 2014, 06:23:38 AM
AirAux,

The ALO IS that representative between the AFA and cadet.

Quoted straight from the ALO website: " identify, recruit, and evaluate those individuals whom the Air Force will train, retain, and commission." (emphasis mine).  If the ALO's evaluation of a prospective cadet changes it appears that it is his job to make it an issue with one's application.

I saw the kid's FB page. I can tell you there was way more to his application being quashed than just bad mouthing Wing Staff on FB. Suffice it to say the kid's lucky he didn't get 2B'd and/or wind up in jail for some of the stunts he pulled in and out of CAP time and the idiot left photo evidence of it all on his FB page! He destroyed his own AFA career himself and to be honest I think it was by design.

So...the proper steps, with a supposed letter of admission is to then contact AFA, and see their take on it, no? I was a kid, and I wrote dumb stuff on Myspace. I grew out of it.