Cadet Conduct on Social Media?

Started by Heavy Flying Guy, June 28, 2014, 06:06:37 AM

Heavy Flying Guy

So it's obvious that I'm new to CAPtalk, but I have a question. Has anyone else seen a cadet on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc; whose conduct didn't seem appropriate, especially when posting pictures of themselves in uniform? How should this be dealt with?
"We...are the CAP! We'll always save the day! And if you think we can't, we'll always find a way!"

lordmonar

Bring it to the attention of the cadet's (or senior member's) leadership.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

abdsp51

Why do I feel I know whom he's talking about.

GroundHawg

A cadet from a nearby squadron was relieved as cadet commander due to his postings on FB. Screenshots were sent to the wing commander, and within 24 hours he was done. A good lesson for all members to learn is that anything posted on FB/twitter/instagram/snapchat etc.... can and will be used for/against you. 

tht1gurlflightsarg

Yes, I have definatly seen that alot. Just be mindful of what you post because yes, it can be used against you and you need to kinda be an example. If you choose to do so, you could bring it up to the person and tell them whats what and all that.
Eat your veggies. drink your milk. dont do drugs. look both ways before crossing.

Have a nice day.

Nipahoj

Greetings all,
I know this topic has been stale for a while, but I wanted to add the following:

Nobody should accept a printout or a screenshot of ANY Social Media post or chat as evidence of wrongdoing.  I recently discovered cadets in a unit who installed a FB app (I won't mention its name), but the app allows a user to create a fake conversation, post or tweet among anyone who has friended you (The app can access your friends list).   

You basically select the friend or friends' profiles you want to "participate" in the fake conversation and then type whatever it is you want them to say between two or more of them (profanity, insults included).  You can then screenshot the conversation which appears to be a legitimate post.  A screenshot of the conversation can be used by an unsuspecting superior to punish a completely innocent party who never even typed or took part in the fake conversation.

This is a perfect example of using technology to bully and harm others.  In the age of photoshop and malicious software, a technologically savvy individual needs to be consulted when these allegations occur.

My only suggestion in case like these is to have the accuser show his superior (a Senior preferably), that the conversation was taken from an actual account feed, and the accused should be able to prove the same.  Every accused should have the opportunity to defend himself against any accusation.

Be Watchful.

Eclipse

Quote from: Nipahoj on December 13, 2014, 07:40:12 PM
Greetings all,
I know this topic has been stale for a while, but I wanted to add the following:

Nobody should accept a printout or a screenshot of ANY Social Media post or chat as evidence of wrongdoing.  I recently discovered cadets in a unit who installed a FB app (I won't mention its name), but the app allows a user to create a fake conversation, post or tweet among anyone who has friended you (The app can access your friends list).   

Except that it won't generate the >real< traffic to other accounts which are generally the issue.

Are there ways to fake a conversation or other content, of course.

In 99% of the cases, that's not what we are talking about.  A screen shot isn't generally the last and only evidence of
bad behavior, it's what starts the conversation.  There are plenty of other ways to verify whether the traffic is real.

Quote from: Nipahoj on December 13, 2014, 07:40:12 PMMy only suggestion in case like these is to have the accuser show his superior (a Senior preferably), that the conversation was taken from an actual account feed, and the accused should be able to prove the same.  Every accused should have the opportunity to defend himself against any accusation.

A senior member >always< and >only<.  Any time there is an situation involving discipline, abuse, or improper behavior,
the only people who should be involved are senior members and the circle should remain as small as possible.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Nipahoj on December 13, 2014, 07:40:12 PM
This is a perfect example of using technology to bully and harm others.  In the age of photoshop and malicious software, a technologically savvy individual needs to be consulted when these allegations occur.

"This" isn't a "case" of "anything", since no one here knows the details of the parties or the situation...

...unless you actually do...

...in which case your best course is to disengage and move on, since these things never end well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

This can be an interesting topic.  There are several instances in real life where people have been held accountable for comments made on social media.  Where I am, a nearby agency suspended a deputy for making comments about Ferguson protestors.   Interestingly enough, he was "Friends" with the Undersheriff as well as other deputies who may now be facing discipline for not dealing with it.  Even off duty, supervisors or even your co-workers can be held accountable for your conduct in certain professions.  Is CAP one of those professions?  Could be, if someone wanted to make an issue out of it.  Something I always try to convey to young people

AirAux

I witnessed an outstanding Cadet Commander, Spaatz, that lost his shot to the Air Force Academy because he posted on facebook about the old grayhairs at Wing that didn't know their heads from their other ends.  He was actually right, but basically his dreams on the Academy are shot.  Fair, I don't think so, but, it is what it is.  Free Speech ain't always so..

JeffDG

Quote from: AirAux on December 15, 2014, 01:32:06 PM
I witnessed an outstanding Cadet Commander, Spaatz, that lost his shot to the Air Force Academy because he posted on facebook about the old grayhairs at Wing that didn't know their heads from their other ends.  He was actually right, but basically his dreams on the Academy are shot.  Fair, I don't think so, but, it is what it is.  Free Speech ain't always so..

People misunderstand the right to free speech.  Some think that it means you can say whatever you want without consequences.  They generally learn, eventually, that they are quite mistaken.

Flying Pig

Quote from: JeffDG on December 15, 2014, 01:35:21 PM

People misunderstand the right to free speech.  Some think that it means you can say whatever you want without consequences.  They generally learn, eventually, that they are quite mistaken.
Much of it comes from just an overall complete misunderstanding of how it applies to life.  Which, in most cases for the average person on a daily basis... it doesn't. 

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: JeffDG on December 15, 2014, 01:35:21 PM

+1...there's a CD lesson in there for all cadets, and some Seniors as well...

Brit_in_CAP

Returning to the OP's point, always, always bring it to the attention of Senior Member leadership in the unit.

If nothing else it might provide an opportune time for a lesson on good social media practices.

FWIW I've managed to get an external speaker (the IT security manager for a research organization) to give that talk a couple of time - it seems to work better than me doing it.  YMMV.

Flying Pig

Funny...... I make a point to always look at the original date of the discussion... now that I have, this is 6 months old and the cadet never responded back  ;D

Майор Хаткевич

I have to call Bull on this. Very much doubt that alone was the dis-qualifier, or even that reasons were given in such detail.

AirAux

Call Bull on it all you want.  The guy that took his Academy offer and threw in the trash was the Kansas Wing Legal Officer and the Academy liaison Officer.  On his own he decided that the Cadet was too immature based upon his social media comments about Wing Staff.  He disclosed this at National Legal College with a straight face.  I was very upset, having had one of my sons attend USAFA and knowing how valuable the experience is.  This cadet was a good kid and would have made a great Air Force Officer after 4 years at the Academy.  They have a way of maturing a young man.  Anyhow, it boiled down to one senior member eliminating one cadet based on his perception of what should and should not be said on social media.  The cadet never even knew he got the appointment as the liaison officer said he just threw it in the waste basket instead of even telling the kid about it or explain why he wasn't going to the Academy.  I thought it was very immature on the part of the senior member.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on December 16, 2014, 03:01:14 AM
Call Bull on it all you want.  The guy that took his Academy offer and threw in the trash was the Kansas Wing Legal Officer and the Academy liaison Officer.  On his own he decided that the Cadet was too immature based upon his social media comments about Wing Staff.  He disclosed this at National Legal College with a straight face.  I was very upset, having had one of my sons attend USAFA and knowing how valuable the experience is.  This cadet was a good kid and would have made a great Air Force Officer after 4 years at the Academy.  They have a way of maturing a young man.  Anyhow, it boiled down to one senior member eliminating one cadet based on his perception of what should and should not be said on social media.  The cadet never even knew he got the appointment as the liaison officer said he just threw it in the waste basket instead of even telling the kid about it or explain why he wasn't going to the Academy.  I thought it was very immature on the part of the senior member.

So there we have it. Wasn't the AFA that did it, but an overzealous man-child.

raivo

Quote from: AirAux on December 15, 2014, 01:32:06 PMI witnessed an outstanding Cadet Commander, Spaatz, that lost his shot to the Air Force Academy because he posted on facebook about the old grayhairs at Wing that didn't know their heads from their other ends.

The guy that took his Academy offer and threw in the trash was the Kansas Wing Legal Officer and the Academy liaison Officer.  On his own he decided that the Cadet was too immature based upon his social media comments about Wing Staff.  He disclosed this at National Legal College with a straight face.  I was very upset, having had one of my sons attend USAFA and knowing how valuable the experience is.  This cadet was a good kid and would have made a great Air Force Officer after 4 years at the Academy.  They have a way of maturing a young man.  Anyhow, it boiled down to one senior member eliminating one cadet based on his perception of what should and should not be said on social media.  The cadet never even knew he got the appointment as the liaison officer said he just threw it in the waste basket instead of even telling the kid about it or explain why he wasn't going to the Academy.  I thought it was very immature on the part of the senior member.

And in the greatest of ironies, he proved the cadet right.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

PHall

Quote from: raivo on December 16, 2014, 04:29:24 AM
Quote from: AirAux on December 15, 2014, 01:32:06 PMI witnessed an outstanding Cadet Commander, Spaatz, that lost his shot to the Air Force Academy because he posted on facebook about the old grayhairs at Wing that didn't know their heads from their other ends.

The guy that took his Academy offer and threw in the trash was the Kansas Wing Legal Officer and the Academy liaison Officer.  On his own he decided that the Cadet was too immature based upon his social media comments about Wing Staff.  He disclosed this at National Legal College with a straight face.  I was very upset, having had one of my sons attend USAFA and knowing how valuable the experience is.  This cadet was a good kid and would have made a great Air Force Officer after 4 years at the Academy.  They have a way of maturing a young man.  Anyhow, it boiled down to one senior member eliminating one cadet based on his perception of what should and should not be said on social media.  The cadet never even knew he got the appointment as the liaison officer said he just threw it in the waste basket instead of even telling the kid about it or explain why he wasn't going to the Academy.  I thought it was very immature on the part of the senior member.

And in the greatest of ironies, he proved the cadet right.

I would be contacting the Academy about this Liaison Officer, with the intent of making him a former Liaison Officer.