Armstrong Essay

Started by C/Cool, February 26, 2014, 02:37:01 AM

C/Cool

Hey Y'all,

I am working on an essay for my promotion and I would like a little input from anyone who would like to add anything.

Here is what I have so far. Thanks in advance.

Decision Making In Leadership

In a presentation online Sarita Hinojos said, "While there are many factors that contribute to successful leadership, being able to effectively make individual and group decisions is the primary action that defines who a leader is, and what a leader does."1  Being a leader means taking responsibility for your and your team's actions.  One of the ways this can be achieved is to learn to make the right decisions. 
   Leaders should know how to make good decisions quickly and accurately.  Leaders try to make the right decisions but mistakes are inevitable.  A good leader acknowledges his mistakes and learns from them to help him become a more successful leader.  If a poor decision is made the leader's reputation may be ruined resulting in a loss of trust in his ability to lead by those above and below him in the chain of command.  To avoid making poor decisions, a leader should think his decision through and discuss the right action to take with other people that may have experience in the area.
   In addition to making individual decisions a good leader must also be able to make group decisions.  Leading a group of people means taking on more responsibility for the leader, because the performance that a follower gives, good or bad, reflects on the leader.  When making group decisions a leader should ask for opinions from more experienced people and his followers.  Sometimes it is necessary for a leader to give his followers responsibility of a task to help them grow into better leaders and show them how much he trusts them.
   As a good leader it is important to think all decisions through so no one will be affected in a negative way.  When making any decisions that may have an impact on others all leaders may want to consult them and ask their opinion on the matter.  Listening to others, especially followers will help in making decisions because those decisions will not have to be made alone.
   In conclusion, I believe Mr. Hinojos is right because, I believe the kind of decisions a leader makes is what makes constitutes a good leader or a bad leader.  To be a good leader you must be able to make both group and individual decision correctly.  A good leader gains the trust of his followers as well as those around him.  Gaining this trust is key to successful leadership in the future.  A leader needs to listen to the opinions and ideas of others, especially his followers who may have some responsibility for that decision.  Although a leader needs to listen to others the final decision is up to him.

Citations:

1: slideshare.net, Decision making, http://www.slideshare.net/shinojos/decision-making-an-essential-leadership-skill
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?