CAP receipient of the Air Force Organizational Excellence Award.

Started by Chappie, September 20, 2016, 04:46:37 PM

Fester

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 03, 2018, 04:30:15 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on March 03, 2018, 02:03:32 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 03, 2018, 12:13:30 AM
Those who earned it should enjoy it any way they can. Wear it, don't wear it, hang it on your Christmas Tree. Because I doubt that there will ever be any more of them. The issue of who gets to wear it under what conditions didn't seem to have been thought out in advance and I can't see anybody being eager to repeat that process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The requirements of who gets  were thought out:

They are: Any body who was a member during the period 1 Oct 2012 thru 31 Aug 2016.
The citation/award can only be worn on a military uniform. If you can't or opt not to wear a military style uniform, you have the option of wearing the lapel(buttonhole) pin.

Same rules as wearing military ribbons with the G/W uniforms.

I beg to differ re: this being thought out. As evidence, I submit...the calendar.

The award was announced in September, 2016. Pretty much within about five minutes of that, the question was asked:  "Can we wear it? Who? And how?"

And there was no immediate answer. It took 18 months for the answer.

I think awarding it was well intentioned. I'm quite pleased that it was awarded. But deciding who wears it, if anyone wears it, and under what conditions, should have been done before the announcement. Which leads me to believe that it wasn't thought all the way through.

And...the final decision reflects the difficulties of making that decision. We now have a military decoration that is military enough to wear on the civilian version of a military uniform, but not civilian enough to wear in the civilian uniform, which has to have unusual wear instructions to be worn with the same award received by military members who might have received it in USAF service, but which isn't military enough to wear on military uniforms despite it being the same award presented to military members...it makes my head spin.  Especially considering how many members have earned it and will never get to wear it.

It would have been much easier to award the National Commander's Unit Citation to everyone, maybe with a special attachment indicating that SECAF had approved it or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes perfect sense to me.  Yes, it's a military ribbon.  No, you didn't earn it on "AF time."  So, to me, it makes perfect sense that current AF members don't get to wear it on their "AF" uniform because it wasn't earned on "AF time."  It makes perfect sense to me that it goes AFTER all your military decorations, but BEFORE all your CAP decorations.  It makes perfect sense to me that it isn't authorized for wear on any Corporate Uniforms because NO military decorations are authorized on those uniforms. It makes sense to me that if you are current or former AF and were awarded the decoration during "AF time" and you are eligible for this award, you wear two separate ribbons, at different places on your rack, instead of attaching a device to the one you earned on "AF time."
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

DakRadz

Quote from: Fester on March 03, 2018, 08:43:34 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on October 02, 2016, 06:23:50 AM
Quote from: NIN on October 02, 2016, 05:34:39 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on October 02, 2016, 05:17:40 AM
Link is broken. Here it is: http://www.snopes.com/POLITICS/military/airforce.asp

I was asleep they day they taught internet :)  Thanks.

Whatever happened to the cadet after that incident?  Did the cadet stay at USAFA?  Did he actually receive a commission?  What was the afterlife for this?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/brombomb/
The question was asked and answered earlier, whereas posting personal information could be seen as doxxing (if I've my terminology right)

Something to ponder.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

abdsp51

Quote from: DakRadz on March 03, 2018, 01:12:07 PM
Link is broken. Here it is: http://www.snopes.com/POLITICS/military/airforce.asp

Whatever happened to the cadet after that incident?  Did the cadet stay at USAFA?  Did he actually receive a commission?  What was the afterlife for this?

The question was asked and answered earlier, whereas posting personal information could be seen as doxxing (if I've my terminology right)

Something to ponder.

Plus wrong topic.

Fester

Quote from: DakRadz on March 03, 2018, 01:12:07 PM

Something to ponder.

Doxxing usually doesn't include information garnered by a simple Google search.....
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Mustang

Quote from: Fester on March 03, 2018, 08:56:05 AM
It makes perfect sense to me.  Yes, it's a military ribbon.  No, you didn't earn it on "AF time."  So, to me, it makes perfect sense that current AF members don't get to wear it on their "AF" uniform because it wasn't earned on "AF time."
As opposed to, say, this one, which by definition isn't earned on "AF time" either:

http://www.afpc.af.mil/About/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/421889/military-outstanding-volunteer-service-medal/
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Fester

Quote from: Mustang on March 03, 2018, 05:33:54 PM
It makes perfect sense to me.  Yes, it's a military ribbon.  No, you didn't earn it on "AF time."  So, to me, it makes perfect sense that current AF members don't get to wear it on their "AF" uniform because it wasn't earned on "AF time."
As opposed to, say, this one, which by definition isn't earned on "AF time" either:

http://www.afpc.af.mil/About/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/421889/military-outstanding-volunteer-service-medal/

Even this makes sense to me.  You would have earned the AFMOUVSM as part of your "AF Time" and therefore, would wear it on your AF uniform.

I really don't understand why this is so hard to grasp.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

GaryVC

I was able to buy almost enough ribbons at the BX today for our cadets who will receive this. $1.00 each versus $1.40 from Vanguard. I found that I had a couple still in the package from when I was on active duty (probably from the mid-80s). At that time they were 20 cents each.

Mustang

Quote from: Fester on March 03, 2018, 09:13:17 PM

Even this makes sense to me.  You would have earned the AFMOUVSM as part of your "AF Time" and therefore, would wear it on your AF uniform.

Because you only want to look at it from your perspective.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Mustang

Ozzy

So question. If you were ever on an AFAM during the period, wouldn't that count as being on AF time?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Fester

Quote from: Ozzy on March 04, 2018, 12:27:38 AM

So question. If you were ever on an AFAM during the period, wouldn't that count as being on AF time?

You're still not a member of the USAF and you're still performing your CAP job.  So no, I don't think it would.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

abdsp51

Quote from: Fester on March 04, 2018, 02:13:42 AM

You're still not a member of the USAF and you're still performing your CAP job.  So no, I don't think it would.

Total Force says otherwise.  If you are on a AFAM that's on AF time and CAP members are considered Airmen.

Fester

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 04, 2018, 03:05:41 AM

Total Force says otherwise.  If you are on a AFAM that's on AF time and CAP members are considered Airmen.

I mean, it's been 20 years since I've participated on an AFAM.  Do they now enlist you or commission you for an AFAM?

No.  So you're STILL not a member of the AF.  You ARE an auxiliarist.  One can be both an auxiliarist and a member of the Total Force.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

abdsp51

Quote from: Fester on March 04, 2018, 03:59:30 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on March 04, 2018, 03:05:41 AM

I mean, it's been 20 years since I've participated on an AFAM.  Do they now enlist you or commission you for an AFAM?

No.  So you're STILL not a member of the AF.  You ARE an auxiliarist.  One can be both an auxiliarist and a member of the Total Force.

You don't get it.  That is not what was asked.  But facts and reality are something your ilk don't comprehend.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Disenchanted

Is a full size and miniature medal available for the Air Force Organizational Excellence Award?

abdsp51

Quote from: Disenchanted on March 04, 2018, 02:03:14 PM
Is a full size and miniature medal available for the Air Force Organizational Excellence Award?

No. 

J2H

I don't see the hub-bub with this award. I have several AF unit awards so this just seems "eh" to me.  If I was eligible cool, if not, that's cool too.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

PHall

Quote from: Disenchanted on March 04, 2018, 02:03:14 PM

No, this is a "ribbon only" award. Just like the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award and the Presidential Unit Citation.