CAPM 39-1 Civil Air Patrol Uniform Manual

Started by MIKE, March 24, 2005, 06:39:52 PM

pixelwonk

'Lo...

The swine have taken to the air, and the realm of those not on the Heavenly roster is experiencing a wicked cold snap  :)

abysmal

Once in a great while PIGS do FLY and HELL does FREEZE over!
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

whatevah

oy... they couldn't have taken good pictures? that was probably one of the biggest complaints I heard about the draft.  there are enough semi-pro and pro photographers in CAP that this should never have happened.  a couple of hours with a drill team and a couple seniors with proper uniforms would have produced some good pictures.

sheesh  ::)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

arajca

It would have been a grand thing if National would have held a contest for members to submit PROPER photos for inclusion. Then, they would only have had to pick the best. And, the pictures would have been substancially better than the pictures and Photoshop hacks they put in.

abysmal

A little creative Cutting and Pasting with a good copy of Adobe Distiller and you could rework the whole manual and re-submit it to National.

arajca

abysmal

Quote from: arajca on March 25, 2005, 06:30:37 AM
But you'd still need good pictures...
And your suggesting that you could not do a better job than they did??
Come on.
Any of us with a active squadron surely have 1-2 "Stand-Out" cadets and senior members that could pose for all the shots.

Major_Chuck

Okay.  Obviously Abercrombie and Fitch models our people are not.

I know some of the people that posed for the shots and yes, I think we (as an organization) went cheap.

But hey, we've finally got the official manual.  Perhaps we shouldn't complain too much.

They could easily update the photos without changing the content of the manual.  Perhaps we should suggest this.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

abysmal

Quote from: Major_Chuck on March 25, 2005, 02:55:34 PM
Okay.  Obviously Abercrombie and Fitch models our people are not.

I know some of the people that posed for the shots and yes, I think we (as an organization) went cheap.

But hey, we've finally got the official manual.  Perhaps we shouldn't complain too much.

They could easily update the photos without changing the content of the manual.  Perhaps we should suggest this.

That was pretty much where I was headed with the whole idea of "Cut and Paste".
If someone out there REALLY wanted to make it "spot-on" they could re-edit the whole photographic side of the manual and just re-submit the entire publication back to national.
if would be a lot of work, but for someone with a fire in his belly to see it done right......

whatevah

a little birdie told me that the recently-released manual might get un-released shortly.  Perhaps they'll fix the pictures then?  yeah, right. ::)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

MIKE

Quote from: whatevah on March 27, 2005, 09:30:27 AM
a little birdie told me that the recently-released manual might get un-released shortly.  Perhaps they'll fix the pictures then?  yeah, right. ::)

There are a couple of other things in there that could be fixed while they are at it IMHO.
Mike Johnston

Horn229

Quote from: MIKE on March 27, 2005, 03:56:31 PM
Quote from: whatevah on March 27, 2005, 09:30:27 AM

There are a couple of other things in there that could be fixed while they are at it IMHO.

Like requiring grade on the BDU cover to be 1/2 inch above the brim of the cover? ::)
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

whatevah

Quote from: Horn229 on March 27, 2005, 10:09:39 PMLike requiring grade on the BDU cover to be 1/2 inch above the brim of the cover? ::)
yeah, that looks so cheesy.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

MIKE

Quote from: whatevah on March 27, 2005, 10:19:14 PM
Quote from: Horn229 on March 27, 2005, 10:09:39 PMLike requiring grade on the BDU cover to be 1/2 inch above the brim of the cover? ::)
yeah, that looks so cheesy.

It should be centered vertically and horizontally IAW Figure 2.10. AFI36-2903...  How CAPM 39-1 wants it will look wrong to anyone who knows better.  The corresponding picture is even more wrong than they specify.

I don't like how CAPM 39-1 now requires the sleeve crease to be centered off the epaulet on the service uniform shirts... Wing patch or not, take a look at how your uniform shirt sleeves are pressed when new or take a look at the photos in AFI36-2903.  What commanders want to require locally within there authority is one thing, but I don't think we needed this as the "standard".

Specialty badge placement above Service Dress nametag... While this standardizes placement for both males and females, I was hoping we would follow established USAF policy for similar badges and devices.

In a lot of ways I think they went overboard with new standards for uniforms in CAPM 39-1... CAPM 39-1 should include the minimum standards for the CAP uniform... For the USAF style uniforms this should be IAW established standards in AFI36-2903... This new CAPM 39-1 seems to be taking cues from CAPP 52-8 instead, which I disagree with.

JMHO YMMV.

AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 36-2903 DRESS AND PERSONAL APPEARANCE OF AIR FORCE PERSONNEL 29 SEPTEMBER 2002
Mike Johnston

Pylon

While I am glad to finally see an updated manual, I think they skipped over a bunch of needed things that should have been added to the manual.

Here's my major question:  Why are only USAF-based uniforms shown in the figures?  There are no photos of any of the corporate uniforms in wear, demonstrating their proper wear - no blue BDUs, no blue flightsuit or jumpsuits, no blazer combo, no dress blazer option, no golf shirt, and no aviator/corporate grays uniform. 

Sure - they get mention in the text or tables, but why does NHQ help perpetuate the myth and feeling that corporate uniforms are just "almost-uniforms" relegated just to members who "don't quite meet all the standards."  Apparently, only members who wear the USAF-based uniforms are good enough to get photos?  ???

While speaking of the photos, yes, I have to agree - they are hideous.  I've often toyed with the idea of making a local document proposal which "explains" the uniforms to the members with locally done photos.   ::

We'll probably have to wait another 7 years, however, to see another change which will be slapped together and pushed through in a few short months.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

Quote from: Pylon on March 28, 2005, 10:49:22 AMHere's my major question:  Why are only USAF-based uniforms shown in the figures?  There are no photos of any of the corporate uniforms in wear, demonstrating their proper wear - no blue BDUs, no blue flightsuit or jumpsuits, no blazer combo, no dress blazer option, no golf shirt, and no aviator/corporate grays uniform. 

Are you serious?  Look at pages 74-79.

My big beef is the pictures, because the old ones made good training aids, and these are just pathetic.  It's just not smart to show improper uniform wear in the uniform manual.

Pylon

Quote from: justin_bailey
Quote from: PylonHere's my major question:  Why are only USAF-based uniforms shown in the figures?  There are no photos of any of the corporate uniforms in wear, demonstrating their proper wear - no blue BDUs, no blue flightsuit or jumpsuits, no blazer combo, no dress blazer option, no golf shirt, and no aviator/corporate grays uniform. 

Are you serious?  Look at pages 74-79.

:-X   :o   :P

Whoops.  Guess I didn't see them at first flip though since they were grouped into their own section.   ::)   My bad.   
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

whatevah

also...  http://photos.delawarewing.org/39-1/  you can see every picture in the manual.  ahh, the marvels of screenshots!
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

cmoore

Quote from: Pylon on March 28, 2005, 10:49:22 AM
I've often toyed with the idea of making a local document proposal which "explains" the uniforms to the members with locally done photos.

That's not a bad idea.  You (or someone) could come out with a "Supplement", showing the correct way to wear the uniforms.  You could publish it on the web with a disclaimer saying it's not an official CAP regulation. 
1st Lt Chris Moore
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14