OLD SCHOOL ENLISTED CAP "CRUSH CAP"

Started by Major Carrales, July 17, 2007, 02:34:24 AM

Major Carrales

Above are the two pics of an old school Enlisted Crush Caps.  Notice that, unlike the modern versions of the service cap, this example does not have any "braid on the brim."  Also, notice in contrast to the officer's version, the round insignia.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

flyguy06

Major Corrales,

In the military if you ever noticed on an Enlisted serviceman's hat it has an Eagle with a circle around it. On an Officer's hat it just has an Eagle.

The reason is traditonally enlited folks wore what was called the "caged" Eagle. It distinguished Officers from Enlisteds.

Major Carrales

Quote from: flyguy06 on July 17, 2007, 03:31:34 AM
Major Corrales,

In the military if you ever noticed on an Enlisted serviceman's hat it has an Eagle with a circle around it. On an Officer's hat it just has an Eagle.

The reason is traditonally enlited folks wore what was called the "caged" Eagle. It distinguished Officers from Enlisteds.

Yes, and there are several versions of the "caged" Eagle in CAP.  I hope to look into all of them.

However, in the modern wear of the USAF Service CAP, Officers and Enlisted seem to both use a service CAP with "braid on the brim."

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 17, 2007, 02:34:24 AM
Notice that, unlike the modern versions of the service cap, this example does not have any "braid on the brim." 

Drawing a blank here. Can you clarify "braid on the brim"? Perhaps a photo?

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 17, 2007, 04:25:50 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on July 17, 2007, 02:34:24 AM
Notice that, unlike the modern versions of the service cap, this example does not have any "braid on the brim." 

Drawing a blank here. Can you clarify "braid on the brim"? Perhaps a photo?

Note that on this cap there is green braid, modern USAF service caps have blue braid their...

This cap has no braid, its plain...

Here is a USAF era crush cap that has the "braid" on its "brim."

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Understand now. The biggest reason for the difference was simply cost. Enlisted were issued uniforms that lacked some of the more elegant details that officers generally wore. Many officers purchased their own uniforms, often custom tailored. And officers were expected to look sharper as well.

If you're interested in uniforms of that era, there are two really good books. They're both written and illustrated by Jon A. Maguire. The first is "Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens" which is about 190 pages. It deals with mostly Army Air Corps and early Air Force insignia, uniforms, etc. It runs about $45 to $50. I think it may be out of print, so you might try Amazon.com.

The second is a follow on to the first and called "More Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens". It has about 390 pages, and runs about $80 (publisher price). It has about a 20 page section dedicated to CAP in it. It also covers uniforms of flight schools, and civilian transport organizations as well.

Both books have full color photos, and glossy pages. The examples illustrated are beautifully maintained. They are great books. The publisher is Schiffer Publishing. If you want the address, I'll post it for everyone.

Hawk200

Actually, I just ran a web search on that publisher, and they have a site:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/index.php

Run a search on the author.

Also, both books are shown as available now, too.

Major Carrales

Thanks for the link...I have twice "just missed" the opportunity to own it at two bookstores.  They tell me it sold out "that same day."  I did look it over from a friend who has it (a coffee table piece, he him self is a Korean War veteran) and will be buying it for myself.

I've yet to ever encounter a "blue" crush cap of the USAF style for CAP.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 17, 2007, 05:04:59 AMI've yet to ever encounter a "blue" crush cap of the USAF style for CAP.

I'm not certain that they even exist. The transition to the blue uniform resulted in a lot of standardization of uniform pieces across the board, mostly eliminating the less expensive enlisted designs, and resulting in mostly insignia differences between the ranks.

As far as blue uniform pieces go, you will probably only note differences in quality. Some people still had clothing tailored, so you should be able to tell the higher quality pieces fairly easily.