Bringing Back the Blue Shoulder Marks and Nametags for CAP Officers

Started by Eagle400, July 03, 2007, 11:29:50 PM

AlphaSigOU

I never cared for the CAP grays. The TPU isn't that bad, though I still prefer that they brought back the old blue CAP shoulder marks to distinguish us from the Real Air Force® instead of plain blue USAF officer shoulder marks.

Considering the AF uniform is deliberately tailored and tapered so that only the 'fit to fight' can wear it off the rack, at least those of us who don't meet the weight standards do have a more military-like uniform choice. Now if they'd relent a little and allow neatly-trimmed facial hair...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ColonelJack

Quote from: 2d Lt <NOT SO> Fat but FUZZY on July 06, 2007, 10:48:10 AM
Good word: though you basically repeated yourself by putting the word stubborn in front ;)

intransigency: the trait of being intransigent; stubbornly refusing to compromise

In other words, I was being repetitiously redundant.   ;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pumbaa

arajca

Asks the man from the Department of Redundancy Department. :angel:

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: 2d Lt <NOT SO> Fat but FUZZY on July 06, 2007, 10:48:10 AM
I will not wear the AF style of the blue shirt, basically because I am not a wanna be, and I also do not like the color lack of coordination of the Epi's.

Are you saying people who wear USAF style service dress are all wannabe's? ;)

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Ford73Diesel

jimmydeanno

I don't know if this aides or hampers anyones comments, but this was an interesting conversation I had with a few (4) AF Officers (former CAP Cadets) the other day at a CAP activity...

AF OFFICERS: "Hey Jimmy, what's with the overweight guy wearing an AF uniform?"
ME: "He's not, that's the new distinctive uniform."
AF OFFICERS: "Oh really? We couldn't tell the difference."

We were standing aproximately 20 feet from this gentleman.  Now granted, there are some differences, but are they enough? 

So even on the regular blues, bringing back the 'blue & blue' do you think it is enough of a difference?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

LtCol White

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 06, 2007, 03:37:57 PM
I don't know if this aides or hampers anyones comments, but this was an interesting conversation I had with a few (4) AF Officers (former CAP Cadets) the other day at a CAP activity...

We were standing aproximately 20 feet from this gentleman.  Now granted, there are some differences, but are they enough? 

So even on the regular blues, bringing back the 'blue & blue' do you think it is enough of a difference?

I think the difference is enough if the epaulets have CAP embroidered on them.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

captrncap

At an encampment last year, I saw almost 15 CAP Lt Cols and Majs with the new white and blue combo.

I was so impressed with the support of the "Air Force" then it struck me like a truck – oh they are CAP Lt Cols and Majs.

Really, how would the Air Force know the difference?

LtCol White

Quote from: captrncap on July 06, 2007, 04:06:05 PM

At an encampment last year, I saw almost 15 CAP Lt Cols and Majs with the new white and blue combo.

I was so impressed with the support of the "Air Force" then it struck me like a truck – oh they are CAP Lt Cols and Majs.

This is why that uniform should have CAP on the epaulets
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

captrncap

I should have added that to my statement, sorry!!

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: LtCol White on July 06, 2007, 04:09:56 PM
Quote from: captrncap on July 06, 2007, 04:06:05 PM

Or just switch to grey rather than have vanguard make another CAP specific item.  (Think: Where is the gore-tex insignia they promised???) Plus at 20 feet, you would'nt be able to see the CAP sewn onto it. The whole epaulet needs to be a different color.

Even I was confused at OHWG's most recent encampment, in direct sunlight it looks like an AF style uniform with AF epaulets on it.

SarDragon

From a distance, the CAP on my olde blue epaulets doesn't stand out all that well. I think the grey stuff works just fine.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eagle400

Quote from: SarDragon on July 06, 2007, 05:24:31 PMFrom a distance, the CAP on my olde blue epaulets doesn't stand out all that well. I think the grey stuff works just fine.

Then how about metal CAP cutouts on the blue AF epaulets?  I would think those would stand out better.

I wish the gray epaulets were 4 or 5 shades darker to match the shade of the service dress coat.  That would look a lot better.   

Pumbaa

I put the CAP cutouts on the Blue Epi's for the fun of it.. Looks good... Distinctive!

Eagle400

Quote from: 2d Lt FAT and FUZZY on July 06, 2007, 09:07:24 PM
I put the CAP cutouts on the Blue Epi's for the fun of it.. Looks good... Distinctive!

What's an EPI?  Never heard of that before. 

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

mikeylikey

Does it really matter if a members looks AF or military say 20 feet away?  Anyone in the military better be smart enough to know that when this person should approach and they can then read the distinctive marks that they will realize the members is in fact Civil Air Patrol. 

It is not like a CAP officer is going to go up and lead a group of regular military men up an enemy hill.  We are distinctive enough as it is.  We could even switch to blue grade slides with the "CAP" embroidery.  NOT A BIG DEAL!
What's up monkeys?