Main Menu

GT Hard Hats

Started by SARMedTech, June 30, 2007, 09:13:36 PM

SARMedTech

As I start slowly but surely to get gear together, I started wondering about GT hard hats. Is there a standard, say, they are white with no markings or emblems on them or something and have to be a certain type. Ive two that are called "timber" or "wild fire" hard hats. One I wear while working in the Canadian oil fields and it has the American Flag on one Side, Canadian on the other and the EMS star of life on the front. I know that ones out. But would the wild fire style, which has a brim all around instead of just in front be acceptable. I prefer them and think they provide at least some protection for the back of the neck from falling debris. Also, how do you ES Ground Team folks carry yours? Do you put it in your pack or carry it somehow attached to the outside when not in use? For my line of work, I never take mine off unless I am in the ambulance so have never had to figure out how to stow it before...it just gets thrown on the crew seat in the back of my rig.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Eclipse

I have one, white with the CAP logo on the front and my last name on the back.

I don't think there is a standard and this would fall more into the realm of tactical gear versus uniform item.

I've never worn it in the field, but usually display it on a mannequin with the ground gear at open houses and recruiting events, just tops the display better.

Its generally with my 72, and I just hook a strap to it and carry it up up on the rare occasion I bring it.

I just happened to have one that someone gave me - I wouldn't have bought it.

I also gave a couple other people some light blue ones I had left over from the Hoover dam hard hat tour, same deal as above.

Nice to have if you need it, doubtful we would.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

As far as I know, there is no requirement for a specific helmet that meets certain criteria.  Back in the day, myself along with some other GTL/Ground Ops gurus, bought these Petzl helmets in red so we'd be uniform when we attended the Virginia DOEMS FTL course where they required helmets.  Good, comfortable and lightweight, but it sits rather high on the head.  Has plastic "keepers" to put a headlamp on as well.  Also allows for good air flow during the hotter days of summer.  YMMV...

Serving since 1987.

fyrfitrmedic

I know some folks with Petzl helmets; my personal helmet is a Bullard Advent.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

SarDragon

From the CAWG 39-1 supplement:

Table 1-3 Line 3. (Added) Helmet Liners.
Military helmets or helmet liners are NOT authorized during emergency services missions or as safety headgear. If head protection is required, wear of an OSHA-certified plastic hardhat is authorized. The hardhat is worn without organizational emblems or badges, except the CAP emblem (3 ½ inch decal) may be worn centered on the front ½ inch above the visor.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARMedTech

"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

sarmed1

I am with Kirt on this one, I prefer the petzel (or similar) it meets the needs for many various SAR type disciplines...wilderness, urban, water and high angle work.
PA usues a FD type of system in their color scheme (whihc is rather useful actually)
White is the Team Leader (ie like the fire cheif)
Orange is for Tema members (ok come on its PA...otherwise I would say yellow)
Red is for medical personnel

Their markings usually go with your squadron number on the front in black letters and the search and rescue sticker on the sides and usually name on the back

me I have my name and a paramedic sticker on the back and search and rescue helmet rockers on the sides  (and a big smiley fa e on the top)

I pretty much just caribener it to my gear

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

RiverAux

Can someone refresh my memory as to when a CAP member might be required to wear a hardhat other than if doing some specially-approved activities like rapelling? 

Eclipse

Off the top of my head, activities like Katrina would probably qualify, though we didn't.

Plenty of broken-off stuff hanging, waiting to drop on you - trees, wires, chunks of house, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

isuhawkeye

Hard hats (helmets)are commonly used by many types of SAR teams regardless of "technical" nature. 

When ever teams are on rough or uneven terrain a helmet is appropriate.  Any time an item can be dropped on a persons head a helmet should be warn.  Any time debree is flying helmets are a good idea.  In fact the Fire and EMS industry is pushing the wear of helmets even when riding in a vehicle.

Iowa issues Orange helmets to GTM's their logic is as follows.

we wear Orange safety vests.  They can be seen well form the road, and OK from the air.  We then put camo hats on.  The orange helmet gives a high profile view for our partners in the sky.

SARMedTech

I personally took to wearing a hardhat while doing EMS in industrial settings and also for "street EMS" when doing extrications, etc at MVA scenes. I was also once hit on the head with a small falling stone in a cave during a SAR operation in the Southwest. Having to have 13 stitches to close my scalp sold me on the benefits of a helmet.
"Corpsman Up!"

O-Rex

Once upon a time my merry band discussed orange Pro-tecs, but the cons were that they weren't OSHA-blessed, and some would have thought that there would be "delta-wannabe" accusations.

Construction hard-hats are cheap and easy to get, but not very secure. . .

The Petzl makes sense.

RiverAux

Well, you know we might want to consider wearing body armor to avoid having our cadets impale themselves on sticks while walking through the woods.....

Hardhats for general wildland SAR are ridiculous. 

SARMedTech

You must  not have been in a situation to have had something fall on your head. I thought hard hats were stupid too until the aforementioned rock lacerated my scalp and gave me a  concussion. When are safety measures ever stupid?
"Corpsman Up!"

RiverAux

The key is reasonable safety measures.  If you're out fighting a wildfire in the woods, doing trail construction, etc. a hardhat is very reasonable.  However, all CAP people are doing is walking through the woods, yes every now and again on rough terrain, but this is no different than millions of hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts do every day.  Even in the most safety-conscious hunter ed program I've never seen them be advised to wear a hardhat while deer hunting....

SARMedTech

Again, when are safety measures ever stupid. Its not like Im advocating fire helmets here. Just an OSHA approved hard hat. As I say, my advocacy for said safety measure results from personal experience. When considering safety measures, the standard shouldnt be, why bother, it should be, why not. Its ridiculous to compare the use of hard hats in the field on a SAR operation to the wear of bullet proof vests to prevent the impaling of a cadet by a branch. Furthermore, something as innocuous as a pencil can be used to pierce certain ballistic vests. As I was told by other posters, there isnt a requirement for hard hat useage on SAR operations. So if you dont see the necessity, dont wear one. Having had experience that shows that if I had been wearing a hard hat, I wouldnt have had a 7 cm laceration on my scalp and a concussion, I will continue to wear one.
"Corpsman Up!"