Main Menu

Tan Boots

Started by mikeylikey, June 29, 2007, 04:41:27 PM

mikeylikey

Has anyone sent a uniform change request up their chain of command to allow the wearing of the tan boots with the bdu's yet?  In about 3 months AAFES will begin to stop carrying black boots altogether.  Just saw the notice posted at the MCSS. 
If not the tan.....perhaps the new green ones the AF is pushing with the ABU. 

I know DRMO will have black boots in large amounts....but do we really want to wear someone else's boots?  There will always be black boots available commercially.....but lets open up more options for the members!
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

I would guess that USAF will say Green since the have control over the BDU's. They already have a policy of no tan boots for USAF personnel.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

capchiro

Having spoken to an Air Force active duty major yesterday, the woodland camo is still utilized as well as the black boots for active duty, so I don't think we will be needing the tan boots anytime soon.  And wouldn't they look lovely with the BBDU's??
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

LtCol White

Not to mentiong that there is no shortage of suppliers for the black boots as well. AAFES isn't the only retailer
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Eclipse

Yes, I was in Atlanta this week and saw a LOT of Army personnel in the area, especially the airport, including people in woodland camo, same with up at Great Lakes.

I know I have never purchased a pair of boots through MCSS or been issued a pair, and neither have most of the people my way.

Since most of the world, police, fire and similar agencies still wear boots that need polish, I don't think we need to worry about availability.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Cop boots aren't the same though...  It's getting harder to find the cheaper black ICBs.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Agreed, but a lot of swat teams etc., wear the military boots, and so do lots of countries, still...

"That Others May Zoom"

Pumbaa

Just got me some black combats from sportsmansguide for $17...  I also like the rockey tacticals...

Once you go black you never turn back!  Plenty of good sources for ages to come...

tribalelder

Quote from: capchiro on June 29, 2007, 04:58:24 PM
...  And wouldn't they look lovely with the BBDU's??

The reason I wear BBDU is so I don't have to wear boots.
I can even wear my  velcro-closure sneakers.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

LtCol White

There are lots of LE boots that look exactly like infantry boots.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 29, 2007, 04:41:27 PM
In about 3 months AAFES will begin to stop carrying black boots altogether.  Just saw the notice posted at the MCSS. 

All MCSS or just the Army ones? The Air Force is still going to be wearing BDU's for a little while, it's awful soon to remove availability for some of the components.

LtCol White

I spoke to the manager at MCCS at Barskdale said they will continue to carry all items until they are no longer available in the AAFES supply chain system. There is also talk about keeping the black boots around for aircraft maintenance folks because the new green boots are suede and the black grease ruins them with permanent stains and makes them unwearable in uniform. At $114.00 a pair, airman can't afford to replace boots weekly. There has also not been a decision on the new boots with flight suits for USAF. Not all a/c's wear steel toe flight boots. Many wear standard ICB's.

So, black boots may not disappear completely from the USAF inventory.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Stonewall

OD Green Jungle boots were supposed to go away a long time ago, like early to mid-09s, but I still see Navy and Air Force personnel wearing them daily.  Of course, they got them from a commercial distributor, but they're being worn nonetheless.  There are some CAP supply sheds and closets that still have old fatigues in them from the late '80s.  Something tells me we ain't gonna run out of a source for black combat boots anytime soon. 

Mandatory wear date for ABUs is 2011.  That's 3 1/2 years from now.  The Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard still issue black combat boots at this time.  As long as there is a mass need for combat boots, we'll be able to find them fairly easily. 

In CAP, it'll be the one over zealous member who would rather strap on some sort of tan boots vs black combat boots to be different and look (in his mind) high speed  rather than spend an extra minute tracking down some boots that meet CAP regs.
Serving since 1987.

LtCol White

Have to agree there
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

IceNine

again there are going to be suppliers for the "military boots".  But where does it prescribe how the boot will look other than black and serviceable?  I haven't seen a dictate saying we can't wear Bates for example.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

There aren't any - anything black and high, including jungle boots, are acceptable.

I have a pair of very comfortable bates that I wear on occasion in addition to my shiny jump boots, in fact a lot of members wear bates because they are cheap, easy to find and comfortable.

"That Others May Zoom"

LtCol White

They're available almost anywhere. Most sporting goods stores carry the boots as well as police supply and of course, army surplus.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

afgeo4

Quote from: LtCol White on June 29, 2007, 04:47:58 PM
I would guess that USAF will say Green since the have control over the BDU's. They already have a policy of no tan boots for USAF personnel.

Sir, I believe the current uniform reg regarding the ABU states that wear of desert tan boots is authorized with the ABU uniform until the green boots are distributed for purchase. It also allows airmen to wear the same boots with the ABU and DCU while deployed (current non-combat airmen receive 2 sets of each for deployment.)
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

Why in the world would anyone want to wear tan boots with a green uniform?  Ridiculous.

There isn't a boot requirement for the BBDU?  That seems a bit odd.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on June 30, 2007, 02:53:08 AM

Nope, as ridiculous as it seems, you can wear street shoes and non blousing...

"That Others May Zoom"

LtCol White

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 30, 2007, 01:51:53 AM
Quote from: LtCol White on June 29, 2007, 04:47:58 PM

Sir, I believe the current uniform reg regarding the ABU states that wear of desert tan boots is authorized with the ABU uniform until the green boots are distributed for purchase. It also allows airmen to wear the same boots with the ABU and DCU while deployed (current non-combat airmen receive 2 sets of each for deployment.)

The green boots are already for sale in AAFES locations. Just saw an entire wall of them so they're all ready to go. ABU's have been deployed with units and general issue to recruits starts this fall and AAFES anticipates having them for general sale by october.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Eagle400

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2007, 03:11:06 AMNope, as ridiculous as it seems, you can wear street shoes and non blousing...

Just another CAP oddity that makes my bizarre-o-meter want to burst. 

Stonewall

Regarding tan boots with the ABU, here is FAQ #46 from the AF Portal:

A46: Yes, we plan to bring out the green boots in a safety toe option. The green safety toe boots will most likely be available around mid-2008. With ABUs being available for purchase through AAFES in late fall 2007, we have allowed desert tan boots to be worn with the ABU. This will ensure that personnel who have been issued the ABU for deployment will have boots to wear with the ABU. If this fall, when airmen may begin to buy ABUs (through AAFES), unit resource advisors will have the option of procuring desert tan safety toe boots.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

And if you haven't heard or seen of this, the Navy is looking at new BDUs too...

Serving since 1987.

mikeylikey

^^  Just making it easier to pick off the Officers from a distance!
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

Quote from: Stonewall on June 30, 2007, 04:07:37 AM
And if you haven't heard or seen of this, the Navy is looking at new BDUs too...

That's a two and a half year olde article. I don't think the current version looks quite like that. The latest uni reg still shows the old utility uniforms, so any new stuff is still a way off.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Yeah, I got it off an old thread from another forum.  But since I hadn't seen too much more about it I thought maybe it was still in the works.
Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

Quote from: Eclipse on June 29, 2007, 09:42:45 PM
There aren't any - anything black and high, including jungle boots, are acceptable.

I have a pair of very comfortable bates that I wear on occasion in addition to my shiny jump boots, in fact a lot of members wear bates because they are cheap, easy to find and comfortable.

I just bought a pair of Bates EMT boots and spend $132. I dont know that cheap is the adjective I would use to describe them. Of course there are less expensive "models" but I have yet to see a pair of Bates for less than around $80. Certainly not the $17.50 you can shell out for a pair of Indonesian imitation jungle boots (which by the way will fall apart after getting wet about twice). And didnt the USAF already have a run at the totally useless Blue/grey woodland scheme. Looks like the Navy is taking some cues from the USCG by slapping logos in strange places.

And what exactly is the point of Blue/Grey woodland pattern BDUs and how much time does your average Navy BM spend in the woods?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

ddelaney103

Why in the world would anyone want to wear tan boots with a green uniform?  Ridiculous.

Well, you certainly don't want to wear black boots in the desert.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 30, 2007, 10:52:21 AM
And what exactly is the point of Blue/Grey woodland pattern BDUs and how much time does your average Navy BM spend in the woods?

That's why they are blue / gray, versus woodland, blends better with the ships or an urban envirnment.

I was very skeptical about the army's digipat colors, too, but have heard a few stories about guys losing their
hats in the sandbox and never finding them because they blend so well....

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

The Navy went with a utility uniform that utilizes the digital style pattern identical to the MARPAT uniform, but in black/slate gray coloring scheme.

GEORGE LURYE

SarDragon

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 30, 2007, 10:52:21 AMAnd what exactly is the point of Blue/Grey woodland pattern BDUs and how much time does your average Navy BM spend in the woods?

The alleged rationale for the color scheme is to hide stains, and make fading less obvious. Ships can be very dirty working areas. The quality of the ship's laundry service isn't all that great, and the uniforms get beat up quickly. The old dungarees used to show stains easily, and tended to fade non-uniformly, depending on what was carried in the pockets, and where the other high wear areas were.

As for the strange logo, I have no idea what that is. I'm still looking for a usable reference.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 30, 2007, 04:25:43 PM
The Navy went with a utility uniform that utilizes the digital style pattern identical to the MARPAT uniform, but in black/slate gray coloring scheme.

Well, that's an 18 month old photo that seems to be orphaned from its article. MY AD sources tell me that the Uniform Board still hasn't totally made up its mind on what will finally be adopted.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Quote from: ddelaney103 on June 30, 2007, 12:58:49 PM

Well, yeah, but you wouldn't be wearing the green uniform in the desert either and if you wear, wearing tan boots with it wouldn't help your overall level of camoflage...

SARMedTech

Quote from: RiverAux on July 01, 2007, 04:04:26 PM
Quote from: ddelaney103 on June 30, 2007, 12:58:49 PM

Well, yeah, but you wouldn't be wearing the green uniform in the desert either and if you wear, wearing tan boots with it wouldn't help your overall level of camoflage...

Except if you spend much time watching the news, you will see our troops wearing green woodland ballistic vests the new digitals.

From what I understand the new "digital" camo patterns are a result of 1) the types of imaging equipment they are meant to fool and 2) the overall more "square and jagged" terrain of the 21st century urban battlefield. It would seem that the days of our troops needing to blend in with oakleaves and ground clutter is by an large a thing of the past. Now we need to be able to disappear in piles of rubble and bombed out buildings.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Hawk200

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 01, 2007, 05:29:05 PM
From what I understand the new "digital" camo patterns are a result of 1) the types of imaging equipment they are meant to fool and 2) the overall more "square and jagged" terrain of the 21st century urban battlefield. It would seem that the days of our troops needing to blend in with oakleaves and ground clutter is by an large a thing of the past. Now we need to be able to disappear in piles of rubble and bombed out buildings.

Strangely, the new ACU camo pattern would be pretty useful in a large number of the airports I've been in the last few years. Gives some credance to the effectiveness in urban environments.

JCJ

Quote from: SarDragon on July 01, 2007, 06:09:31 AM
Quote from: SARMedTech on June 30, 2007, 10:52:21 AMAnd what exactly is the point of Blue/Grey woodland pattern BDUs and how much time does your average Navy BM spend in the woods?

The alleged rationale for the color scheme is to hide stains, and make fading less obvious. Ships can be very dirty working areas. The quality of the ship's laundry service isn't all that great, and the uniforms get beat up quickly. The old dungarees used to show stains easily, and tended to fade non-uniformly, depending on what was carried in the pockets, and where the other high wear areas were.

As for the strange logo, I have no idea what that is. I'm still looking for a usable reference.

I have also read this, although I don't know if it's a final decision.  I was impressed at what a common-sense approach this is (lots of small oil stains, etc. on a ship that apparently blend in well with this pattern).

Navy personnel assigned to USMC units wear MARPATS.  There are other USN "ground combat" units (SEAL's, Seabees, Security/Shore Patrol) that currently wear BDU's.  Wonder what new field uniform they'll end up in post BDU's (the shipboard BDU's are obviously not appropriate for wear by serious ground troops).

The logo on the left breast pocket has been a tradition for USMC and USN ground combat uniforms for years.  I don't know what that logo is for navy, though.  Of course, it's the EGA for Marines.

SarDragon

The "strange" logo appears to be located on the sleeve, which is not a usual location for non-rank insignia.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JCJ

Quote from: Stonewall on June 30, 2007, 04:07:37 AM

Looks to me like it's on the left front breast pocket on these.  Of course these were early versions that apparently aren't being adopted.

I can't tell where the logo is on the other photo.

SarDragon

OK, I got a look at a different pic, with the digital pattern, and the line from the text to the logo, on the pocket, is more obvious. Also, it's a much larger pic, with better detail of the logo. Ship, eagle, and anchor, from the center of the Navy Department seal.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

afgeo4

This is the uniform I see seamen wearing around here. Apparently some are being issued it for wear tests.

As far as ABU's and Sage Green boots being sold at AAFES locations... Seems that they're being distributed throuch MCSS locations at bases with units deploying May-August as part of AEF rotations. Other bases aren't getting them yet.

McGuire/Ft.Dix/Lakehurst MCSS does not carry them yet (though they are completely out of BDUs)
GEORGE LURYE

JCJ

Quote from: SarDragon on July 06, 2007, 08:25:33 AM
OK, I got a look at a different pic, with the digital pattern, and the line from the text to the logo, on the pocket, is more obvious. Also, it's a much larger pic, with better detail of the logo. Ship, eagle, and anchor, from the center of the Navy Department seal.

I like that logo

(Honorably Discharged HM2 (FMF))