Main Menu

Boonies anyone?

Started by SARMedTech, June 14, 2007, 05:21:35 AM

SARMedTech

Is there a hard and fast rule against the wearing of boonie caps with either the BDUs or the BBDUs. I ask because I thought that there was, that is that they are not regulation wear, but I have seen several members so far wearing both camo and blue boonie caps, even with cloth grade insignia sewn on. If there is a rule against them, whats the reasoning? Not that reasoning necessarily applies to any issue regarding uniform wear. Also does CAP really want me wearing a ballcap if I am in CAP distinctive service uniform? Why is the flight cap not allowed?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

lordmonar

There is a rule against them......but is it hard and fast?

39-1 dectates what you can and can't wear.  Boonie Hats are not in there so you can't wear them.

But....having said that....there are a lot of things not in 39-1 that commanders at various levels have authorise their people to wear.  So....the answer to your question is "Maybe".  ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Chris Jacobs

I was pretty certain we pounded this one to death, then made sure it was dead, then brought it back to life, killed it two more times and then did some more to it.

And taking a quick look back the topic went way off topic and then was locked.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

DeputyDog

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 14, 2007, 05:21:35 AM
Also does CAP really want me wearing a ballcap if I am in CAP distinctive service uniform? Why is the flight cap not allowed?

Which uniform are you talking about? There are several variations of "distinctive" uniforms for CAP. The corporate service dress (TPU) does utilize the flight cap.

SARMedTech

I was talking about the white aviator shirt uniform. The regs say that no cover is mandated but if one is to be worn, its to be the baseball cap.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

DeputyDog

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 14, 2007, 05:21:35 AM
Is there a hard and fast rule against the wearing of boonie caps with either the BDUs or the BBDUs.

Yes. CAPM 39-1 states which headgear is authorized. As LordMonar pointed out...the boonie cap is not listed.

I ask because I thought that there was, that is that they are not regulation wear, but I have seen several members so far wearing both camo and blue boonie caps, even with cloth grade insignia sewn on.

Unfortunately you will find stuff like that all over CAP. The regulations say to do it this way, but people will skew or just ignore the regulations to do what they want.

Boonie hats are not worn in my group.

If there is a rule against them, whats the reasoning?

What I have heard is that the Air Force said, "No way!" I can't remember where I read about that though. I don't remember a reasoning given.

I do seem to remember the Chief of the CAP Health Service trying to push through authorization for wear of the boonie hat for sun protection. It didn't get very far. Someone on here (or on the Portal) countered that the regular BDU cap with liberal use of sunblock provides more protection than a boonie hat.

DeputyDog

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 14, 2007, 07:07:20 AM
I was talking about the white aviator shirt uniform. The regs say that no cover is mandated but if one is to be worn, its to be the baseball cap.

Most members don't wear any headgear with that uniform. I did have a member that wore the flight cap with it once (he was new). It looked rather tacky (read: stupid). He thought it looked tacky as well, but only wore it because he thought he was supposed to.

Granted, the CAP baseball cap doesn't look much better. Hence the reason that most members just wear no headgear with it.

davedove

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 14, 2007, 07:07:20 AM

I usually don't wear any headgear with that uniform, unless I'm going to be out in the sun for a while, or I wear a jacket/coat over it.  In that case I wear the ball cap.  From what I read, the CAP baseball cap is the only authorized headgear for that uniform.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

BillB

Deputy Dog.  You are correct, National requested the boonie cap be authorized, and the Air Force did not approve the request.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JohnKachenmeister

39-1 forbids the boonie cap, but 60-1 requires one in the survival kit.

CAP get caught with contradictory regulations?  Nevah happen, G.I.!

But... just because 60-1 requires that the boonie hat be carried in survival gear does not mean it can be worn with any CAP uniform.  If you crash, and need it, you can:

1.  Use the boonie hat as a small fish net, or...

2.  Remove your uniform before putting it on.  There is no CAP regulation specifying headgear to be worn when underwear is worn as an outer garment.
Another former CAP officer

Chaplaindon

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 14, 2007, 12:42:13 PM
But... just because 60-1 requires that the boonie hat be carried in survival gear does not mean it can be worn with any CAP uniform.  If you crash, and need it, you can:

2.  Remove your uniform before putting it on.  There is no CAP regulation specifying headgear to be worn when underwear is worn as an outer garment.

Placing tongue firmly in cheek ...

Katch, your scenario #2 depends entirely upon whether the unfortunate crash survivor happens to be wearing USAF/CAP undies or the corporate service ones ... and to that end, are Underoos (tm) approved (I especially like the Superman ones myself)?

Regardless, can you imagine the horror of surviving a crash in a CAP corporate a/c only to be 2b'd subsequent to your rescue for failing to your wear survival equipment IAW CAPM 39-1? The shame of it ... !!!

To prevent such predicaments henceforth, I suggest a new "CAP Survival Uniform" (CSU) ... maybe with regional variations (e.g. for climate, etc.), such as a "CSU-New York" (for the north) & "CSU-Miami" for the tropical south, etc.
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

davedove

Quote from: BillB on June 14, 2007, 11:59:13 AM
Deputy Dog.  You are correct, National requested the boonie cap be authorized, and the Air Force did not approve the request.

You know, if National really wanted a boonie hat authorized, they could just authorize it for the blue field uniform.  Air Force wouldn't care then. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Cite, please...

A quick search does not find the word "survival" or "boonie" anywhere in 60-1

"That Others May Zoom"

SARMedTech

Quote from: davedove on June 14, 2007, 01:15:05 PM
Quote from: BillB on June 14, 2007, 11:59:13 AM

You know, if National really wanted a boonie hat authorized, they could just authorize it for the blue field uniform.  Air Force wouldn't care then. ;D

By that rational, couldnt the boonie also be worn with the blue BDU's...this is where I have seen a couple of pictures or it being worn. Could it not also be worn when we are "AUX OFF?" and if not, to what extent to USAF regs cover us when we are working DR for say...the Red Cross or some other non-AF agency? And I have talked to a dermatologist friend of mine (which inspired the post) and he states that the consensus is that high SPF sunscreen AND wide brimmed sun or boonie hats increase the protection against sun damage. Since every member of my family has had or currently has skin cancer (save for me, knock on wood) I would like to have to option of wearing the boonie...I know I know...go up the chain.
"Corpsman Up!"

DeputyDog

Quote from: SARMedTech on June 14, 2007, 04:09:54 PM
By that rational, couldnt the boonie also be worn with the blue BDU's...this is where I have seen a couple of pictures or it being worn.

National can authorize it for wear with the blue BDUs, but they just haven't done it.

Could it not also be worn when we are "AUX OFF?" and if not, to what extent to USAF regs cover us when we are working DR for say...the Red Cross or some other non-AF agency?

"AUX ON/AUX OFF" status does not affect uniform wear. We abide by the uniform regulations the same whether we are "AUX ON" or "AUX OFF".

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Chaplaindon on June 14, 2007, 01:09:40 PM

Placing tongue firmly in cheek ...

Katch, your scenario #2 depends entirely upon whether the unfortunate crash survivor happens to be wearing USAF/CAP undies or the corporate service ones ... and to that end, are Underoos (tm) approved (I especially like the Superman ones myself)?

Regardless, can you imagine the horror of surviving a crash in a CAP corporate a/c only to be 2b'd subsequent to your rescue for failing to your wear survival equipment IAW CAPM 39-1? The shame of it ... !!!

To prevent such predicaments henceforth, I suggest a new "CAP Survival Uniform" (CSU) ... maybe with regional variations (e.g. for climate, etc.), such as a "CSU-New York" (for the north) & "CSU-Miami" for the tropical south, etc.

NO!  NO!  NO!

I can see it now...

"CSU Miami... Return of the Guyaberra Shirt!"

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Eclipse on June 14, 2007, 02:02:04 PM

Cite, please...

A quick search does not find the word "survival" or "boonie" anywhere in 60-1

Ooops... my mistake.

I looked it up and the contents of the survival kit are in the Florida Supplement to 60-1, not in the basic regulation. 

I keep the basic reg and the supplements together in my "CAP Flying Stuff" book, and they all tend to mush together.

Chaplaindon

Maybe then a "Panama Jack" straw "cover" would be more appropo ...
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Chaplaindon on June 14, 2007, 06:30:39 PM
Maybe then a "Panama Jack" straw "cover" would be more appropo ...

No, because then each wing would want to have a different color hatband.  California and Massachusetts would end up fighting over "Hot pink."

Al Sayre

Kack,
You now owe me a new keyboard.  :D :D :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787