Main Menu

Boot regs?

Started by LadyROBOcop, September 14, 2011, 09:12:12 PM

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 24, 2013, 07:28:12 PM
Boots are boots IMO
Unless they start cracking and peeling in the back as a c/A1C.

NIN

If you live in one of the northeastern states that are "not far" from Rhode Island, you can find an Ocean State Job Lot (kind of like Big Lots) and they carry black ICB-style boots from Wellco (they have the desert-style boots, too, but the black ICB-style are probably far more interesting) for like $25 or something.

They also have black oxford style shoes for around $20.

http://oceanstatejoblot.com/locate/

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

These do not look like rough out leather. Why can't you put a little polish on them?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bflynn

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 24, 2013, 04:05:56 PMthey can look more professional if shined.

I don't know about professional, but when shined they sure look like someone spent a lot of effort on them.  I'm rarely impressed, what else could have been accomplished in that time that would have a real impact on operations?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: bflynn on April 25, 2013, 03:25:13 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 24, 2013, 04:05:56 PMthey can look more professional if shined.

I don't know about professional, but when shined they sure look like someone spent a lot of effort on them.  I'm rarely impressed, what else could have been accomplished in that time that would have a real impact on operations?

It teaches cadets excellence and attention to details. Using that argument, we would have to get rid of drill and ceremonies, customs and courtesies, etc. since they have no "real impact on operations".

a2capt

Everything in moderation. They don't have to mirror gloss. But sitting around at the end of the day, in the staff room at encampment provides plenty of time, while recapping the days events.. if you're spending hours on hours, you're doing something wrong.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 25, 2013, 03:58:14 AM
Quote from: bflynn on April 25, 2013, 03:25:13 AM

It teaches cadets excellence and attention to details. Using that argument, we would have to get rid of drill and ceremonies, customs and courtesies, etc. since they have no "real impact on operations".

I agree.

When I was on active duty in the Marines we had Marines after Boot Camp that became 'slackers'. When asked why they had something that was "unsatisfactory". Their excuse is, "I am a field Marine!" Well in 'the field', those slackers who was slackers in garrison, were slackers in the field too. 

And we all know about 'excuses', everyone has one   ;)

J2H

I wear black Jungle boots... I can polish if needed, paid 55 for them (and NOT rothcos)
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

bflynn

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 25, 2013, 03:58:14 AMwe would have to get rid of drill and ceremonies, customs and courtesies, etc. since they have no "real impact on operations".

Drill and C&C teach discipline, belonging, respect and teamwork, which absolutely have real impact on operations.

Sitting at home and putting a mirror shine on a pair of shoes looks like you spent too much time on them.  Each person only has so much time and energy, why encourage anyone to waste that time.  If someone spends hours trying to shine shoes rather than working on their next award or qualification, which has a direct impact on our missions?

I'm not suggesting that people be allowed to look like dirt bags.  The standard is for blackened shoes.  My personal preference is to brush them off to a glossy shine and make sure the sides of the soles are blackened.  They look professional, just like they do when I wear them for work.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: bflynn on April 25, 2013, 06:08:31 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 25, 2013, 03:58:14 AMwe would have to get rid of drill and ceremonies, customs and courtesies, etc. since they have no "real impact on operations".

Drill and C&C teach discipline, belonging, respect and teamwork, which absolutely have real impact on operations.

Sitting at home and putting a mirror shine on a pair of shoes looks like you spent too much time on them. Each person only has so much time and energy, why encourage anyone to waste that time.  If someone spends hours trying to shine shoes rather than working on their next award or qualification, which has a direct impact on our missions?

I'm not suggesting that people be allowed to look like dirt bags.  The standard is for blackened shoes.  My personal preference is to brush them off to a glossy shine and make sure the sides of the soles are blackened.  They look professional, just like they do when I wear them for work.

Ahh...but I never said "mirror shine"; you did. I also didn't say you had to spend "too much time on them"; you did. In fact, if you spend "too much time" shining boots, you're probably not doing it right. Unless they're really dirty, I can shine mine in 5-10 minutes.

As someone who's been wearing Air Force uniforms for over 26 years, both in CAP and in the Air Force (active duty, guard and reserve),  and I stand by what I said before: shined boots look more professional.

bflynn

I didn't claim that you said it.  I said it. 

But I do challenge the idea that you can spit shine a pair of boots in 5 minutes, unless you're talking about just touching up an existing shine.  I can't get my kit out, shine normally, blacken the soles and put everything away in 5 minutes.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: bflynn on April 25, 2013, 08:43:19 PM
I didn't claim that you said it.  I said it. 

But I do challenge the idea that you can spit shine a pair of boots in 5 minutes, unless you're talking about just touching up an existing shine.  I can't get my kit out, shine normally, blacken the soles and put everything away in 5 minutes.

Maybe you need training.

NIN

I haven't worn my jump boots in like 4 years. They still look pretty tip-top. 'Bout 10 minutes and they'd be color guard/funeral ready.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

Not quite five minutes, by the clock, but sure seemed like it. A couple of guys did it in front of me at HIWG encampment.. while we were sitting in the office going over stuff after the days activities.

J2H

High gloss boots ;-)
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Grumpy

Quote from: J2H on April 28, 2013, 03:53:06 PM
High gloss boots ;-)

If you're talking about those things that look like patton leather (SP?).  The ones I have seen look cheap.  I'd rather give my leather boots a good old fashioned spit shine. 

Luis R. Ramos

Quote from: Grumpy on April 28, 2013, 04:33:02 PM

If you're talking about those things that look like patton pattern leather (SP?).  The ones I have seen look cheap.  I'd rather give my leather boots a good old fashioned spit shine.

FTFY

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 28, 2013, 04:40:51 PMIf you're talking about those things that look like patton pattern leather (SP?).
I think you mean 'patent' leather.. pseudo patent..

Luis R. Ramos

Drat.

Failed the test.

:-[

You are right. Should have been "Patent" leather.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

Real patent leather is actually real leather, with special processing. This in not to be confused with variants of poromeric material, the stuff originally known as Corfam.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret