Cleaning Metal Grade Insignia

Started by titanII, June 02, 2011, 12:35:22 AM

titanII

I was going over my uniform tonight, and I noticed my metal grade insignia are a bit dirty. I've never done it before so do you have any suggestions on how to clean them?
Thanks
No longer active on CAP talk

Eclipse

I would suggest simple soap and water with a tooth brush.

You've got to be careful with that stuff since most of it is a low-quality pot-metal, especially cadet insignia and the wrong cleaner or too hard a brush will
ruin it.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Wet soft rag, and then dry the rank. To get it to shine again, some turtle paste wax on a Q-tip works great. Let it dry for about five minutes and then rub it off with a dry Q-tip, and it will look like a shinny new car.... but don't let it dry too long or it will turn sandy and then scratch your rank.

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on June 02, 2011, 12:56:52 AM
I tried warm water, then soap and a toothbrush, then toothpaste and a toothbrush. I got the last one from google, and it made the insignia really shiny, but didn't remove any "dirt". I'm starting to think that maybe the "dirt" is actually tarnish or scratched off paint. In which case I don't want to use any severe cleaner, for fear of removing the paint.

davidsinn

Quote from: titanII on June 02, 2011, 01:47:20 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 02, 2011, 12:56:52 AM
I tried warm water, then soap and a toothbrush, then toothpaste and a toothbrush. I got the last one from google, and it made the insignia really shiny, but didn't remove any "dirt". I'm starting to think that maybe the "dirt" is actually tarnish or scratched off paint. In which case I don't want to use any severe cleaner, for fear of removing the paint.

Can you post a picture so we can take a look?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

titanII

Quote from: davidsinn on June 02, 2011, 01:54:59 AM
Can you post a picture so we can take a look?
Sorry, no digital camera. I know, I know, so technologically behind of me. ::) But in any case, I don't intend to hold on to these particular grade insignia for too long. ;)

capcomm253

I used neverdull on mine and it worked great

Persona non grata

Never Dull will work just fine on the metal that most CAP insignia is amde of.

Do not use Tarn X.  it will strip the finish

A nano wax spray will clean up and metal finsih very nicely and will add soem protection.

The bltz rag, found at most MCSS will work just fine.

For the high polished insignia and cadet cheverson, and  hat devices, windex and a dry cotton ball work as well.

Good luck :)
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

PHall

Okay, are we talking about Cadet Enlisted grade, Cadet Officer grade, Senior Member Officer grade, what?

Hawk200

I'd use one of those "Majic Eraser" sponges. Been using it to clean insignia of all kinds for years now. It will really get into the crevices of fine detailed stuff, and you only need water. It's a microfiber item, so it works well.

lordmonar

If it is dirty....soap and water.....anything else is unservicable and you need to buy new insignia.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

Use toothpaste and water or windex(windex moves around a bit easier with the buffing) on a few cotton balls and act has if you are cleaning and polishing your boots.

SarDragon

Most modern toothpaste is useless for cleaning stuff like that. There is very little abrasive in toothpaste these days.

As lordmonar said, if soap and water doesn't get it clean, then it likely needs replacing. If you are intent on trying all available means, a toothbrush and some Bon Ami cleanser will do a good job without scratching the insignia.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on June 03, 2011, 06:07:23 AM
Most modern toothpaste is useless for cleaning stuff like that. There is very little abrasive in toothpaste these days.

As lordmonar said, if soap and water doesn't get it clean, then it likely needs replacing. If you are intent on trying all available means, a toothbrush and some Bon Ami cleanser will do a good job without scratching the insignia.
That ain't true. I turned a dull belt buckle into a mirror shine buckle in all of a few minutes. I also did the same for a USAF crest tiebar, which was dull and dirty.