New CAP Awards Being Proposed

Started by James Shaw, November 14, 2006, 01:28:01 PM

MIKE

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 05, 2007, 09:13:43 PM
Ehh, I guess I need a html class.  I can't seem to break a quote up into separate boxes.  Oh, well.

Need to learn BBCode, not HTML.  Similar but different. Tags and Nesting (for beginners)
Mike Johnston

LtCol White

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 05, 2007, 06:15:30 AM
Quotes aren't that hard. You have to keep in mind the HTML. Remember to close a quote afterward, and open up another one before the next line you're addressing. It's not hard, but it can take a little time to get used to.

The remark about double sigs was not directed at you, jaybird. It was a post above yours. I may get flamed for pointing it out, but double sigs annoy a few people. I just happened to be irritated enough at the moment to point it out.

As for shopping around for an insignia maker, there is contract with Vanguard to produce our insignia. We can't just walk away from that. Secondly, there is the issue that Vanguard is now, more or less, the sole approved source for our insignia. It would probably be a breach of contract to even contact another company.

As far as the badges themselves go, it's not really like we're wearing some garish 8 inch badge festooned with dozens of colors. Many times when I'm in blues, I've had people ask me if my Personnel badge was an Air Force one. On occasion, some Air Force personnel wear a badge on the pocket. It's not like there is no Air Force precedent.

It's one thing to look similar to the Air Force. It's another thing to emulate them. We go trying to look exactly like them, we lose our own identity, and noone in the military will take us seriously.

Many CAP personnel think we don't look like the Air Force. If you wear the Air Force blues, you do. I don't care what the 39-1 says, it is not an Air Force style uniform. It is the Air Force uniform, just with Civil Air Patrol distinctive insignia.

39-1 actually states this: "All uniform items must display a USAF certification label.  Members who buy uniform items from other than AAFES MCSSs should check the reliability of the seller and make sure each garment has an USAF certification label."

And this: "Uniform items that do not meet Air Force specifications are not authorized for wear.  Each uniform item must have this label sewn or stamped on permanently:  "USAF CERTIFICATE NO _______.  A sample of this item has been inspected and meets or exceeds the quality prescribed by AF Specification _____.""

If it's only an Air Force style uniform, why would it require a USAF certification label? Anyway, enough of that rant. Civil Air Patrol should wear things at least a little bit differently. I'm not talking aobut drastic, but what we have works. It allows association with the AF, but still maintainsour own identity. Is your reason in CAP to be an AF clone? Or to be an Auxiliary member?

Ehh, I guess I need a html class.  I can't seem to break a quote up into separate boxes.  Oh, well.

I know your sig comment wasn't directed at me, I was just commenting that he should incorporate whatever titles he wanted to project on us into one.

Well, I hate that we're stuck with Vanguard then.  I haven't had any problems with them personally, and their embroidery is better quality than the hock (no offense), but I've seen the stories people here have posted.  It's our insignia and our money (and their profit).

Good point on the uniforms and I see your point about leaving the badges alone.  I like our blues and flight suits just fine, but I don't personally care for the smurf blue/white on the BDU's.  I don't want something "tactical" or military, just something a little less clashing and a little more modern.  It will be interesting to see if there is enough support to get the colors changed when we are able to switch over to the new uniform.

You know it's actually quite interesting to see how much debate there is in this place solely involving uniforms.  It has to come from the frequent changes that our bosses make so it keeps everyone stirred up.  Other organizations that I know of have two or three different uniforms that haven't changed in decades and that's just how it is.  It's one way only, and never up for debate so there's not much reason in talking about it, which keeps the focus more on the job at hand...  my two cents.

Its not just CAP. Uniforms are a huge topic on the USAF boards as well.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

jb512

Quote from: MIKE on July 05, 2007, 09:34:40 PM

Need to learn BBCode, not HTML.  Similar but different. Tags and Nesting (for beginners)

Thank you, I'll start studying.

jb512

Quote from: LtCol White on July 05, 2007, 09:47:36 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 05, 2007, 06:15:30 AM
Quotes aren't that hard. You have to keep in mind the HTML. Remember to close a quote afterward, and open up another one before the next line you're addressing. It's not hard, but it can take a little time to get used to.

The remark about double sigs was not directed at you, jaybird. It was a post above yours. I may get flamed for pointing it out, but double sigs annoy a few people. I just happened to be irritated enough at the moment to point it out.

As for shopping around for an insignia maker, there is contract with Vanguard to produce our insignia. We can't just walk away from that. Secondly, there is the issue that Vanguard is now, more or less, the sole approved source for our insignia. It would probably be a breach of contract to even contact another company.

As far as the badges themselves go, it's not really like we're wearing some garish 8 inch badge festooned with dozens of colors. Many times when I'm in blues, I've had people ask me if my Personnel badge was an Air Force one. On occasion, some Air Force personnel wear a badge on the pocket. It's not like there is no Air Force precedent.

It's one thing to look similar to the Air Force. It's another thing to emulate them. We go trying to look exactly like them, we lose our own identity, and noone in the military will take us seriously.

Many CAP personnel think we don't look like the Air Force. If you wear the Air Force blues, you do. I don't care what the 39-1 says, it is not an Air Force style uniform. It is the Air Force uniform, just with Civil Air Patrol distinctive insignia.

39-1 actually states this: "All uniform items must display a USAF certification label.  Members who buy uniform items from other than AAFES MCSSs should check the reliability of the seller and make sure each garment has an USAF certification label."

And this: "Uniform items that do not meet Air Force specifications are not authorized for wear.  Each uniform item must have this label sewn or stamped on permanently:  "USAF CERTIFICATE NO _______.  A sample of this item has been inspected and meets or exceeds the quality prescribed by AF Specification _____.""

If it's only an Air Force style uniform, why would it require a USAF certification label? Anyway, enough of that rant. Civil Air Patrol should wear things at least a little bit differently. I'm not talking aobut drastic, but what we have works. It allows association with the AF, but still maintainsour own identity. Is your reason in CAP to be an AF clone? Or to be an Auxiliary member?

I know your sig comment wasn't directed at me, I was just commenting that he should incorporate whatever titles he wanted to project on us into one.

Well, I hate that we're stuck with Vanguard then.  I haven't had any problems with them personally, and their embroidery is better quality than the hock (no offense), but I've seen the stories people here have posted.  It's our insignia and our money (and their profit).

Good point on the uniforms and I see your point about leaving the badges alone.  I like our blues and flight suits just fine, but I don't personally care for the smurf blue/white on the BDU's.  I don't want something "tactical" or military, just something a little less clashing and a little more modern.  It will be interesting to see if there is enough support to get the colors changed when we are able to switch over to the new uniform.

You know it's actually quite interesting to see how much debate there is in this place solely involving uniforms.  It has to come from the frequent changes that our bosses make so it keeps everyone stirred up.  Other organizations that I know of have two or three different uniforms that haven't changed in decades and that's just how it is.  It's one way only, and never up for debate so there's not much reason in talking about it, which keeps the focus more on the job at hand...  my two cents.

Its not just CAP. Uniforms are a huge topic on the USAF boards as well.

Oh well, just as long as they're worn properly no matter what you've got.

I'd rather switch focus to the mission...  We've been flooded out down here in the Austin area and I haven't heard a thing about any missions.  I guess I need to get my CD application sent in and see if that's an area where all of the action is at...

SarDragon

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 05, 2007, 10:17:11 PMOh well, just as long as they're worn properly no matter what you've got.

I'd rather switch focus to the mission...  We've been flooded out down here in the Austin area and I haven't heard a thing about any missions.  I guess I need to get my CD application sent in and see if that's an area where all of the action is at...

CD he wants to do. According to my source (he'll see this post), the turn around is well over six months on renewals, and longer for new folks, and the delay is at the customer end, not CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jb512

Quote from: SarDragon on July 06, 2007, 06:43:27 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on July 05, 2007, 10:17:11 PMOh well, just as long as they're worn properly no matter what you've got.

CD he wants to do. According to my source (he'll see this post), the turn around is well over six months on renewals, and longer for new folks, and the delay is at the customer end, not CAP.

Yeah, I've kinda heard the same thing.  I'm not in a hurry, and through some email correspondence I found out a law enforcement background and contacts should help a little.

SarDragon

This is second hand info, but several years ago, the folks without LE ties/background/contacts got their credentials faster than those with. Got any further intel, bosshawk?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret