Main Menu

Rank Questions

Started by CAPed Crusader, September 09, 2018, 05:42:46 PM

CAPed Crusader

Hello,
I happen to  have done USNSCC and Young Marines, [if you don't know what those are search them up]. I looked at CAPR 52-16  an saw this

''a. Accelerated Promotions. Cadets who possess 2 or more years of JROTC experience may qualify
for accelerated promotions in CAP. These cadets fulfill the usual requirements for each achievement and
milestone award (see chapter 5) under the supervision of CAP personnel, but are waived from the standard
time-in-grade requirements, as shown below. To request a milestone award under the accelerated
promotion program, cadets follow the procedures found in chapter 2, but also must provide the CAP unit
commander with a memo endorsed by their JROTC instructor certifying they successfully completed 2 or
more years of JROTC. Some JROTC programs operate according to "block schedules" where cadets
complete 2 years of curriculum in just 1 academic year. In those instances, the JROTC instructor determines
how many years of JROTC completion the CAP cadet should be credited with.
(1) Two full years of JROTC – The CAP cadet may be promoted at the rate of one achievement
per month up to the Mitchell Award.
(2) Three full years of JROTC – The CAP cadet may be promoted at the rate of one achievement
per month up to the Earhart Award.
(3) Four full years of JROTC – The CAP cadet may be promoted at the rate of one achievement
per month up to the Eaker Award.....''

Can this apply to USNSCC and YM, everyone in my Squadron doesn't know the answer to this question.

V/R
Cadet Airman
DeRosa

Eclipse

Quote from: francisderosa16 on September 09, 2018, 05:42:46 PM
Can this apply to USNSCC and YM, everyone in my Squadron doesn't know the answer to this question.

No.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Nope. You might get encampment credit for sea cadet summer training if you get your leadership to do the legwork for you. No ribbon, just credit.

CAPed Crusader

Thank you, your response was helpful!

TheSkyHornet

Cadet DeRosa,

You're worrying about credit from past youth/cadet programs. You've been in CAP for a while now. Maybe focus on advancing to C/A1C.

CAPed Crusader

All I have left for A1c is my PT and drill test, so just waiting for my next squadron meeting.

TheSkyHornet

Awesome. Next stop is C/SrA.

Get 'er done.

DakRadz

As someone who has done the accelerated promotion deal somewhat recently (between 5-9 years ago), I did great through til C/SMSgt and then started stalling out as I didn't have the full grasp on the program and the minute details and dedication required to make it to Spaatz. I missed important pieces of the program, partially because I was lucky enough to actually hit those bare minimums every month. To an extent I feel I might have made it past Earhart if I'd done it proper. Starting as an older cadet I thought it was great to move faster.

I almost skipped encampment by using JROTC credit, and that would have been an even WORSE mistake. I was a C/Chief at encampment (which created challenges for me to remember my own place and remind the much younger flight staff of it as well, because my grade didn't matter) and it was the best time ever.

And in your case it's irrelevant, because the answer is still no. But don't worry, this is better.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Starbird

The accelerated promotions for JROTC cadets have always been a mixed issue for me.  On the one hand, sure, perhaps JROTC cadets have more experience... but the other part of me feels that CAP promotion minimums should be standard for all CAP cadets across the board, regardless of JROTC status.  I can imagine a situation arising where ill feeling occurs because Cadet X thinks it is unfair that Cadet Y is eligible to promote twice as fast as them.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Starbird on September 12, 2018, 02:28:29 PM
The accelerated promotions for JROTC cadets have always been a mixed issue for me.  On the one hand, sure, perhaps JROTC cadets have more experience... but the other part of me feels that CAP promotion minimums should be standard for all CAP cadets across the board, regardless of JROTC status.  I can imagine a situation arising where ill feeling occurs because Cadet X thinks it is unfair that Cadet Y is eligible to promote twice as fast as them.

I totally concur. Your experience in JROTC is not an equivalent to your experience in CAP.

Now, there may be some crossover since both are leadership programs. A lot of what is learned in CAP applies elsewhere (and it's intended to, right out of the book). A lot of what is learned in JROTC applies in CAP. But the experiences are different.

There is more to promotions in CAP than time-in-grade and having been taught under a leadership curriculum. What about duty performance? That all ties into your review (so being in JROTC allows you to move up faster, but it does not offset your review for every promotion).

I know of cadets that have done both JROTC and CAP, and have done outstanding work in both; what I would consider to be examples of what a cadet should be. I know cadets who have done both and absolutely fail to adequately perform in their duty position in CAP as well as demonstrate leadership (but are promoted because their unit commander might see them as a token).

So the regulations permitting rapid promotion may not be so much an issue, but there are supposed to be controls in place to prevent someone from promoting too fast. It needs to be closely watched, though. And when the senior member leadership fails to make that distinction, you have issues with that cadet, and it bleeds into other cadets who are affected by it.