Updated CAPR 35-5 released today (11 Aug 14)

Started by Salty, August 11, 2014, 03:21:34 PM

Salty

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R035_005_489E25C089E93.pdf

Quote from: CAPR 35-5SUMMARY OF CHANGES.
This revision changes the professional development and time in grade requirements for duty performance promotions, revises eligibility for mission related skills promotions, eliminates the squadron commander promotion to captain after one year as commander, clarifies the approving authority for the permanent grade of colonel, authorizes a temporary promotion for those serving as Wing Legislative Officers, authorizes the grade of captain for Financial professionals at the Wing and Region level only, prescribes promotion procedures for Noncommissioned Officers, and eliminates the advanced officer grade promotions for former military NCOs.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

arajca

They've also made it a little harder to promote...

Promotion To             Minimum Skill Level                            Time-In-Grade
2d Lt                            Level I                                      6 months as a member
1st Lt                           Level II                                     18 months as 2d Lt or TFO (or combination thereof)
Captain                        Level III                                    30 months as 1st Lt or SFO(or combination thereof)
Major                           Level IV                                     4 years as Captain
Lt Col                           Level V                                      5 years as Major

Storm Chaser

It's a welcomed setback for me. That said, while many of the changes are positive, in my view, I'm disappointed that they kept many of the advanced promotions in place.

One thing I find puzzling is that only one MSgt can be promoted per squadron/flight, while the same squadron could promote, in theory, 20 Majs and Lt Cols. That makes no sense to me.

Salty

The promotion track is certainly a lot clearer for officers.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994

EMT-83

I think I just joined the Major For Life club.

Panache

It appears that they want to mirror the promotion requirements for RealMilitary™ officers as so much is realistic for a all-volunteer civilian force.

The NCO system was officially put into place, as well.

Storm Chaser

I just came across this note:

Quote from: CAPR 35-5, 11 Aug 2014NOTE: Members applying for duty performance promotions during the period 1 June 2014 to 1 June 2018 may use the previous time-in-grade requirements. All current training requirements must be met but members are eligible for one promotion under the previous time-in-grade requirements during this period. The member's present date of grade must be prior to 1 June 2014 in order to be eligible for this grandfather clause.

I guess everyone who got promoted to their current grade prior to 1 Jun 2014 gets a freebie, as long as they can meet the old requirements by 1 Jun 2018. I think that's more than fair.

Panache

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 11, 2014, 03:56:38 PM
I just came across this note:

Quote from: CAPR 35-5, 11 Aug 2014NOTE: Members applying for duty performance promotions during the period 1 June 2014 to 1 June 2018 may use the previous time-in-grade requirements. All current training requirements must be met but members are eligible for one promotion under the previous time-in-grade requirements during this period. The member's present date of grade must be prior to 1 June 2014 in order to be eligible for this grandfather clause.

I guess everyone who got promoted to their current grade prior to 1 Jun 2014 gets a freebie, as long as they can meet the old requirements by 1 Jun 2018. I think that's more than fair.

I read that as only applying to the Time-In-Grade requirements.  You still have to make the newest Level X training requirement.  (For example:  before, to make Major was Level III.  Now it's Level IV.)

That was my interpretation.

Salty

That's my interpretation as well.  You get a freebie on TIG but not on the Level requirement.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994

Storm Chaser

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Luis R. Ramos

It is my interpretation that PD and requesting a different level has not changed, right?

This morning I was going to request my Level IV when I found this. Scanned the new CAPR 35-5, just want to make sure I can go ahead...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

JeffDG

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on August 11, 2014, 04:58:59 PM
It is my interpretation that PD and requesting a different level has not changed, right?

This morning I was going to request my Level IV when I found this. Scanned the new CAPR 35-5, just want to make sure I can go ahead...
No changes I see to the requirements for a level.  The change is what that level lets you do once you have it.

Looks like my plan of taking ACSC after I made Major is out the window now.

Spaceman3750

Guess I'm going to be a Captain for awhile as RSC is not in the cards in the next few years for me.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with any of the changes, I'm just glad I got captain done.

LSThiker

Quote from: arajca on August 11, 2014, 03:41:19 PM

Promotion To             Minimum Skill Level                            Time-In-Grade
2d Lt                            Level I                                      6 months as a member
1st Lt                           Level II                                     18 months as 2d Lt or TFO (or combination thereof)
Captain                        Level III                                    30 months as 1st Lt or SFO(or combination thereof)
Major                           Level IV                                     4 years as Captain
Lt Col                           Level V                                      5 years as Major

I agree with this timetable.  I always thought Lt Cols should be required to have Level V.  It makes a lot more sense this way.  Harder yes, I agree. 

THRAWN

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 11, 2014, 05:07:55 PM
Guess I'm going to be a Captain for awhile as RSC is not in the cards in the next few years for me.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with any of the changes, I'm just glad I got captain done.

Why wait for RSC? Sure it's a great course, but if you can't get to it for a few years, look at SOS as an alternative.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: LSThiker on August 11, 2014, 05:36:44 PM
Quote from: arajca on August 11, 2014, 03:41:19 PM

I agree with this timetable.  I always thought Lt Cols should be required to have Level V.  It makes a lot more sense this way.  Harder yes, I agree.

It's also going to thin things out at the top level as well. Having a longer TIS/TIG path, combined with the increased performance requirements, pretty much guarantees fewer members staying around to get their bottlecaps.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

Quote from: JeffDG on August 11, 2014, 05:02:16 PM
No changes I see to the requirements for a level.  The change is what that level lets you do once you have it.

Why?  ACSC required you to be a major anyway.  Besides, you have until 2018 to complete your promotion requirements before this sets in

JeffDG

Quote from: LSThiker on August 11, 2014, 05:59:41 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on August 11, 2014, 05:02:16 PM

Why?  ACSC required you to be a major anyway.  Besides, you have until 2018 to complete your promotion requirements before this sets in
Yeah, the plan was to make Major, then do ACSC for my Level IV, and use that for Lt Col, at which time I could take AWC.

Before, I could make Major before ACSC...now I'll have to take SOS probably...just another course in the queue that I didn't need before...big deal?  Not really.  But a wrinkle nonetheless.