UAV/UAS/Drone licenses and current / future use in CAP

Started by OldGuy, September 01, 2017, 02:52:54 PM

JoeTomasone

Quote from: PHall on September 03, 2017, 09:55:24 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on September 03, 2017, 09:09:16 PM
Quote from: PHall on September 03, 2017, 07:54:22 PM
Drones do have a crew. MQ-9's have a pilot and a sensor operator that you still have to pay. By the time you figure in all of the support elements the cost per flight hour is not that different then a "manned" aircraft.

Sorry: Clarifying;  SUAS Quadcopters, not fixed wing Predators or Reapers.   Crew is one or two, cost = electricity to recharge batteries.

And the endurance on those is what? And does the power for the camera come out of that?

Around 25 minutes per battery for the model I fly, and yes, that includes the camera.   Quick landing to swap batteries and you're in the air again.  I can charge 3 batteries at one from my vehicle; with the 4 I have, that means that there's almost always at least one ready to go when the bird lands.   

Just judging by what I have seen from Texas thus far, there would seem to be plenty of targets that are inaccessible on foot but are well within SUAS distance from a dry location.   I don't know how many municipalities are already fielding drones or have contracts with aerial imaging companies, but most of the counties around me haven't even considered them yet - much less bought their own and got their staff Part 107 certificated. 

PHall

Another thing I've seen is a fair amount of blow back from people when it comes to Government Agencies using drones. And CAP is seen as a "Government Agency" by the public when we're helping during a major disaster. Mostly about privacy issues.

Luis R. Ramos

Why not place pontoons on the CAP planes?

Take photos, and if yo find something strange, get down in the water.

Maybe the sense of something new, adventurous will attract pilots...

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Live2Learn

While not "drones" the concept of fully autonomous machines is discussed here.  As is historically the 'big push', development is spearheaded by military applications.  http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41035201  It's an interesting read.  The neural network tech is way newer than my ancient education.  Any comments on stability of the programming, and the potential for unforeseen bugs (in the biological sciences we'd call them "mutations")?  In layman's terms, this sure looks like an adaptive code that would potentially lead down unforeseen and unforeseeable back alleys.

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 04, 2017, 03:30:08 PM

We have float planes Luis. They're in Alaska. Research my friend, research... >:D >:D >:D

Luis R. Ramos

I know about those, but they are on one wing only. I meant nation-wide. Read between lines, my friend.

::)
Squadron Safety Officer

SarDragon

Ditch the happy pills, d00d.

There's too much crap hidden under the surface of the water to even consider landing a float plane in flooded areas. Muddy water is a big red flag to float plane pilots.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

I guess we need to include a disclaimer with all messages.

Disclaimers to identify if the message is sarcasm. If the message is in jest. If the poster is upset, and if upset, at someone in CAPTalk, or at a particular situation outside of CT.

My messages re the floatplanes were in jest!
Squadron Safety Officer

SarDragon

Read on my phone, answered on my computer. The smilies don't always show up on my phone.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mitchell 1969

[. quote author=Luis R. Ramos link=topic=22413.msg406716#msg406716 date=1504539008]

[/quote]

You mean, something as "adventurous" as landing on a flooded street or football field with unseen cars and debris just inches below the surface?

And...who's paying for the seaplane ratings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

etodd

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 05, 2017, 12:40:46 AM

And...who's paying for the seaplane ratings?

Yep.  Lets go back to my comment on page one ... the CAP Navy. Probably most of us good old boys have a boating license. We just need some jon boats with the CAP logo on the side and a drone heliport attached to the bow.  8)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Luis R. Ramos

Those jon boats you mention, are those akin to those swamp boats?

Wow!

Instant aircraft carriers! What do we call them?

CVAP?

Squadron Safety Officer

stillamarine

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 05, 2017, 01:43:26 PM

Wow!

Instant aircraft carriers! What do we call them?

CVAP?

The USS He Who Shall Not Be Named?
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Luis R. Ramos

No, maybe a less controversial figure.

So that we do not confuse them with US Navy commissioned ships, we could name them as neighborhoods of states.

USS Rego Park and USS Arverne, for instance. Two neighborhoods in Queens, NY.
Squadron Safety Officer

etodd

Yeah ... scratch that. Needs to be air boats for sure.

Saw a photo posted today of a car roof that is now visible in Texas. Previously just under water enough that the boat didn't see it. The propeller dug a hole in the car roof and then broke off.  So the photo shows the propeller still stuck in the roof.  LOL

PHall

Quote from: etodd on September 06, 2017, 03:44:14 AM

Saw a photo posted today of a car roof that is now visible in Texas. Previously just under water enough that the boat didn't see it. The propeller dug a hole in the car roof and then broke off.  So the photo shows the propeller still stuck in the roof.  LOL

Now that's going to be an "interesting" insurance claim!  >:D

Live2Learn

Quote from: PHall on September 06, 2017, 03:47:49 AM
Quote from: etodd on September 06, 2017, 03:44:14 AM

Now that's going to be an "interesting" insurance claim!  >:D

Who is at fault?  The car's owner because the vehicle was "allowed" to become a submerged hazard to navigation, or the boat owner who failed co realize, then mitigate the potential damage to submerged personal property?  CAP Navy might not be the best use of limited resources.  :)

Luis R. Ramos

With swamp boats, that damage would not have happened. A swamp boat would just slide over it. Remember swamp boats have a big propeller at the back, and steers with big rudders behind the propeller.

I know someone is going to find something!

In any event, if a car is completely submerged, it is declared a total loss by the insurance companies. And the propeller damage is a certain sign that it was completely submerged.

:P
Squadron Safety Officer

Live2Learn

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on September 06, 2017, 10:16:06 PM
With swamp boats, that damage would not have happened. A swamp boat would just slide over it. Remember swamp boats have a big propeller at the back, and steers with big rudders behind the propeller.

I know someone is going to find something!

In any event, if a car is completely submerged, it is declared a total loss by the insurance companies. And the propeller damage is a certain sign that it was completely submerged.

:P

So it must be the prop in the water at fault.   And the owner of the boat that put it there.  :O   Isn't tooling about in boats what Congress funds the CGAUX to do?

etodd

Quote from: Live2Learn on September 06, 2017, 11:44:50 PM
  Isn't tooling about in boats what Congress funds the CGAUX to do?

I would really like to know how many people, dogs, property are being hauled out of the waters in Texas with the 'good old boy network' of guys who just grabbed their bass boats and started looking. The news is filled with images of this. I wonder if they will get any credit in the end? I'd bet any gov't agency is refusing to keep track of those. LOL