New Florida Wing Patch.

Started by Hill CAP, July 07, 2009, 02:25:41 AM

Stonewall

Quote from: Pylon on July 08, 2009, 01:33:20 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on July 08, 2009, 12:56:34 AM
Okay, I'll say it....

SAY NO TO PATCHES!!!!

But a Wing or Unit emblem is more than just a uniform patch.  It represents the unit, whether that be in the form of a graphic emblem on CAPR 10-1 compliant letterhead, on a website, powerpoint presentation, training materials or recruiting flier, a seal on a podium or wall or on a challenge coin.  Though not a Flordia Wing member, I can see why they'd want their own, distinctive emblem for use across a wide variety of applications to represent Florida Wing.

Yes, Michael (KIT voice), you are correct.  Good call.  But no patches.  Emblems on documents, signage and business cards are all good to go...

[/Push-ups]
Serving since 1987.

NEBoom

Silly question; how does a shield-shaped patch look when worn on the sleeve?  I haven't seen one actually on a uniform yet, but trying to imagine it gives me the same feeling I had during that brief period when metal rank was authorized on the "wrong" side of the flight cap for wear with the TPU.  It just flat-out didn't look right.

I understand the whole argument about AF heraldry (wing patches are shields, squadron patches are round) and that we should follow it, but the AF has only worn shields on the pockets, not on sleeves.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

DC

Quote from: NEBoom on July 08, 2009, 03:09:37 AM
Silly question; how does a shield-shaped patch look when worn on the sleeve?  I haven't seen one actually on a uniform yet, but trying to imagine it gives me the same feeling I had during that brief period when metal rank was authorized on the "wrong" side of the flight cap for wear with the TPU.  It just flat-out didn't look right.

I understand the whole argument about AF heraldry (wing patches are shields, squadron patches are round) and that we should follow it, but the AF has only worn shields on the pockets, not on sleeves.
I've seen shield shaped NCSA patches worn on the sleeve (back in the pre-reversed flag patch days), I didn't think it looked weird..

biomed441

I've seen the southwest region patch worn on the sleve in place of the wing patch by a region staff member. Shield shape, looked fine.  Nevada wing also has a shield shape as well correct?

Hawk200

Quote from: NEBoom on July 08, 2009, 03:09:37 AMSilly question; how does a shield-shaped patch look when worn on the sleeve? 

Air Force wears wing and group patches on flightsuit sleeves, it looks pretty good. BDU sleeves would look a little wierd. They just haven't been worn that way.

RiverAux

I can't quite wrap my mind around the idea that a shield shape would look wrong when worn on the arm.   Having a unit patch on a breast pocket seems foreign to me though.

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on July 08, 2009, 03:52:45 AM
I can't quite wrap my mind around the idea that a shield shape would look wrong when worn on the arm.   Having a unit patch on a breast pocket seems foreign to me though.

It's all a matter of what we're used to. To some things look OK, to others they weem wierd.

thatesguy

seems pretty cool, i like it
NRAEMT, GA AEMT, PHTLS

notaNCO forever

Before yhe American flag patch there was NCSA shield patches worn on the shoulder. I think round patches look better on the uniform though.

NEBoom

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 08, 2009, 03:57:02 AM

It's all a matter of what we're used to. To some things look OK, to others they weem wierd.

Very true.  It's just something I've not seen yet and have a hard time visualizing. 
Quote from: Hawk200
Air Force wears wing and group patches on flightsuit sleeves,

Yeah, and I hadn't thought of that (I always wore a squadron patch on my bag).  Thing is on the AF flight suit the patch is farther down the sleeve than the CAP traditional 1/2" IIRC (at least ours were).  Anyway, sounds like most of you who have seen it think it looks OK, so apparently it's no big deal.  Just curious what people thought.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

alamrcn

I've began "the documenting process" as it were...

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/fl/flwg3a.html

A correction I made from the FL/CC's note was "Compass Row" to "Compass Rose".
Any other changes or additions?

I'm calling Vanguard this week to order one... Yah right, they'll have them in stock  >:(

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

SarDragon

"It's inclusion shows our support of NASA operations, and it's great impact ..."

Ditch the apostrophes above

It's used correctly here - "It's silver ..." - as the contraction of it is.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DC

Quote from: alamrcn on July 14, 2009, 03:01:07 AM
I've began "the documenting process" as it were...

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/fl/flwg3a.html

A correction I made from the FL/CC's note was "Compass Row" to "Compass Rose".
Any other changes or additions?

I'm calling Vanguard this week to order one... Yah right, they'll have them in stock  >:(
I believe they have them available, they've taken the old image off their site, and I was told they would be available as of last Friday by someone at VG.

Hill CAP

Just talked to Vanguard they have them. however call to make the order if you order online you will get the old patch call and talk to Eva  and let her know you need the new patch.

Also talked to Tom over at The Hock Shop. They only have the Old ones and will not have the new ones in for about a month or two.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

DC

Quote from: FLCAP 834 on July 14, 2009, 01:45:49 PM
Just talked to Vanguard they have them. however call to make the order if you order online you will get the old patch call and talk to Eva  and let her know you need the new patch.

Also talked to Tom over at The Hock Shop. They only have the Old ones and will not have the new ones in for about a month or two.
I placed an order online Friday and received it today, and I got a new patch.

BuckeyeDEJ

[/quote]

Any heraldry geeks here? Two questions:

1. Why the black outline around the compass rose?
2. Should the two shades of blue be bumping up against each other -- is that blazoned incorrectly? (That's why the blue outlines were put around the stars on the CAP seal. Silver and white are heraldically the same color.)

And yes, I agree, the type looks really clunky. Still, it'll look better on my flight suit than the Pinhead Pineda patch.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 15, 2009, 05:22:17 AM

Any heraldry geeks here? Two questions:

1. Why the black outline around the compass rose?
2. Should the two shades of blue be bumping up against each other -- is that blazoned incorrectly? (That's why the blue outlines were put around the stars on the CAP seal. Silver and white are heraldically the same color.)

And yes, I agree, the type looks really clunky. Still, it'll look better on my flight suit than the Pinhead Pineda patch.
[/quote]

The black (sable) outline on the compass rose is probably to make it stand out.
The rule in heraldry is metal is generally not placed against metal, nor color against color. The argent (silver) arc and or (gold) spacecraft/aircraft between the lighter and darker blue meets this requirement by separating the colors.

My take on the heraldic blazon of the emblem is in an earlier part of this thread; I'm no 'Sable Basilisk' (obscure Ian Fleming reference :))
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BuckeyeDEJ

The blues aren't totally separated. I think I understand the symbolism, but I'm curious as to execution.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 16, 2009, 12:22:54 AM
The blues aren't totally separated. I think I understand the symbolism, but I'm curious as to execution.

Sometimes heraldic blazon rules aren't followed exactly to the letter.  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MSG Mac

Figures, FLWG announces that Wing patches are not to be worn with the BDU;s and than comes up with an updated wing patch.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member